The Galleria Mall At 5085 Westheimer Rd.

44 minutes ago, gene said:

Joey's looks like it will be open by summer i do believe (if not end of spring possibly?)! i need to walk by there this week/weekend to check it out better but it looks pretty great with all the windows and signage etc (former Yauatcha space)

https://joeyrestaurants.com/

and here is their hiring notice:

https://apply.workable.com/joey-restaurants-1/j/AEC4247935/

Looking at the website it'll probably be one of my regular spots 😏

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

well yesterday i walked over to see it up close....as i approached the signage looks amazing and all the windows facing Westheimer and towards Oceanaire etc...and the large covered patio they have created facing west complete with suspended heaters. It looks really awesome... BUT then as i get closer and take a look over the green fencing surrounding the whole project, i see that the inside is still basically an empty drywall shell...i am thinking this will be a mid to late summer opening now but we shall see!  

Edited by gene
  • Like 4

• The title was changed to Oceanaire Seafood Room In Galleria

Retail Roundup: Luxe bookstore Assouline enters Houston; Louis Vuitton, Giorgio Armani, more open in Galleria

Assouline opened its first Texas location in Houston's River Oaks District.

MARCUS PONTELLO

laura-gillespie-1*90xx1000-1333-0-0.png
By Laura Gillespie  –  Reporter, Houston Business Journal
a day ago

The pandemic hasn't stopped luxury retailers from opening new stores in Houston, with a number of luxury goods now available in some of Houston's hottest shopping districts.

River Oaks District adds new-to-Houston bookstore

Assouline, a luxury coffee table bookstore, opened in River Oaks District. 

It’s the company’s first Southwest store and spans 1,500 square feet. The store's books, which showcase art, fashion, photography, travel and more, range in price up to $12,000 — its most expensive is a book on Robert Polidori photography and Ignasi Monreal illustrations called “AlUla.” The store also sells gifts and furniture. 

“We are thrilled to welcome Assouline to River Oaks District. This marks a milestone for both Assouline and the District by being the brand’s first boutique to open in the Southwest region,” said John Pearson, River Oaks District’s marketing director. “Assouline is an important addition to our diverse collection of retailers and experiences that we are continually evolving to create a unique shopping and lifestyle destination.”

The Galleria opens Louis Vuitton, Giorgio Armani, more

The Galleria is opening a slew of new stores. 

Louis Vuitton Men’s, Moncler and Rag & Bone — all first-to-Houston stores — will come to level one soon. Louis Vuitton Men’s and Moncler will open this summer between Galleria Financial Center and Neiman Marcus, while Rag & Bone is coming soon near Saks Fifth Avenue. 

Moncler, a French-Italian apparel manufacturer, sells down jackets and sportswear. Rag & Bone, a New York City-founded apparel company, sells contemporary, everyday wear. 

Giorgio Armani also opened an interim boutique, with the latest concept from the legendary Italian brand coming later this fall. It’s in level two, between the Galleria Financial Center and Neiman Marcus. Also recently, John Varvatos opened its only Houston location on level one, near the Orange Garage entrance, while Valentino renovated its flagship boutique on level one near Neiman Marcus. 

Vivaldi Music Academy opens fourth location

Vivaldi Music Academy, one of the fastest-growing private companies in Houston, will open its fourth location at Sugar Land Town Square, joining locations in West University, Bellaire and Memorial. 

The 2,500-square-foot space at 2115 Lone Star Drive replaces a Sessions Music. It offers classes for ages four and up in cello, drum, flute, clarinet, guitar, piano, viola, violin and voice, with early childhood music classes, group guitar and a children’s choir. The school is led by violinist Zeljko Pavlovic, a regular performer with the Houston Symphony. 

“We are excited to bring our world-class faculty and performance opportunities to the Sugar Land community,” said Pavlovik.

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, gene said:

amen to that!!!!!!!!!!!!! it definitely makes that "jewel box" standout now! love the huge sign on the side and them using all the windows to full advantage! guess i will be seeing you there @kennyc05 !

Yeah it'll probably another hangout spot lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

• The title was changed to Galleria Expansion, Ritz Carlton Hotel & Residences At Sage/W. Alabama

i can't seem to find this exact space listed anywhere online... (ste b3556)...

maybe it is replacing the former Kona Grill space? something definitely needs to go there but honestly do i like ethiopian food? i have no idea haha! 

• 2 weeks later...

If its the same Blue Nile that has been on Richmond near Gessner for 20 years, since I've been here, then it might do well. When I last ate there a decade ago it was the go to place for  ithe Ethiopian community here, which probably has grown, with  a second or third generation that has its roots in Houston, not in Addis Abbaba. 

• Like 1

Are we sure this is Blue Nile the Ethiopian restaurant and not Blue Nile the diamond company? Maybe I missed it and it said restaurant somewhere, but the jewelry store would seem to make a lot more sense for the Galleria.

• Like 6

• The title was changed to Galleria Expansion/Ritz Carlton Hotel & Residences At Sage & W. Alabama
  • 1 month later...

wow...well i will say that River Oaks District was a cool idea and it IS nice...however the Galleria gets so much traffic into their stores that it definitely is a good idea to have a location in the Galleria.

River Oaks District should almost resign to being just a restaurant and entertainment district as that is the only business it seems to get for the most part.

3 hours ago, gene said:

wow...well i will say that River Oaks District was a cool idea and it IS nice...however the Galleria gets so much traffic into their stores that it definitely is a good idea to have a location in the Galleria.

River Oaks District should almost resign to being just a restaurant and entertainment district as that is the only business it seems to get for the most part.

In related news:

10 new concepts recently opened, coming soon to River Oaks District by mid-2022

3 hours ago, Amlaham said:

Many questions, is Dior leaving River Oaks District for the Galleria :( ? Is Prada leaving the Galleria/ Houston??

2026001533_ScreenShot2021-11-19at1_05_06PM.png.58f2e1e01624555735c01cb10519267d.png

Wow. Hopefully, Prada will relocate within The Galleria.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2021 at 10:05 PM, kennyc05 said:

I enjoy River Oaks District 100 times better than the Galleria.

exactly i bet you do but i also bet you don't feel that way because of the shopping more than you do the restaurants and ambiance etc...

IF you say you feel that way due to the shopping then you are one of the 5 people i ever see shopping there! ha! 

• 2 months later...

Michelin-starred chef Dani Garcia is opening a restaurant in the Galleria. He's bringing Casa Dani to Houston. The Spanish-Mediterranean restaurant debuted in New York in December.

Garcia partnered with C3, the delivery-focused concept creative branch and food hall curator of SBE. SBE is the hospitality company behind hotels like Hyde and Mondrian. Katsuya and Citizens Kitchen are a few of their restaurant and food hall concepts. The partnership includes Simon which owns the Galleria and a few others.

From what I gathered in a 2020 press release, C3 has plans to expand Casa Dani to 15 locations nationwide. I assume the brick-and-mortar restaurants will be located in several Simon-owned malls.

In December, an entity was filed for Casa Dani's Houston location. It's tied to SBE Restaurant Group, according to the filing submitted.

I haven't been to the Galleria since Shake Shack opened. So, any ideas where this may land in the Galleria?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Michelin-starred chef Dani Garcia is opening a restaurant in the Galleria. He's bringing Casa Dani to Houston. The Spanish-Mediterranean restaurant debuted in New York in December.

Garcia partnered with C3, the delivery-focused concept creative branch and food hall curator of SBE. SBE is the hospitality company behind hotels like Hyde and Mondrian. Katsuya and Citizens Kitchen are a few of their restaurant and food hall concepts. The partnership includes Simon which owns the Galleria and a few others.

From what I gathered in a 2020 press release, C3 has plans to expand Casa Dani to 15 locations nationwide. I assume the brick-and-mortar restaurants will be located in several Simon-owned malls.

In December, an entity was filed for Casa Dani's Houston location. It's tied to SBE Restaurant Group, according to the filing submitted.

I haven't been to the Galleria since Shake Shack opened. So, any ideas where this may land in the Galleria?

Hopefully the old Kona Grill spot since that is an abandoned eye sore from the outside and the inside...

• Like 5

The Galleria is slowly picking up an impressive resume of good food spots. It was not like that before, at least to my taste buds. Musaafer, fig and olive, Nobu (can be hit or miss), and Peli Peli/Mozambique are places I enjoy quite a bit (love the bar space in Peli/Mozam) and I think Del Friscos makes a very consistently good steak. I have not been to Joey but I hear its real good, especially for lunch. "The Galleria as a potential food destination for hometown Houstonians" was not on my bingo card.

The ol' galleria has come a long way from reverse happy hours at Kona Grill causing people to pick up domestic violence and assault charges. I was there for one or two of those rando fights, and I'll never forget the waitress telling us the reason their drink menu changed compared to the other locations (all they had towards the end of their run was beer and wine) was that people got too drunk 😂

• Like 3

Mozambique is gone now...it closed a month or so after opening... also worth noting, The Potbelly Sandwich place on the south side of the skate rink still has not reopened and the Yong Kang next door now seems to be closed too! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gene said:

Hopefully the old Kona Grill spot since that is an abandoned eye sore from the outside and the inside...

That's a good guess. I didn't realize the space remains vacant.

1 hour ago, gene said:

Mozambique is gone now...it closed a month or so after opening... also worth noting, The Potbelly Sandwich place on the south side of the skate rink still has not reopened and the Yong Kang next door now seems to be closed too! 

I forgot about Mozambique's closure. That's a good guess too. But that's a big space and dining rooms are trending smaller these days.

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 3

@gene I wonder if C3 and Simon Properties have plans for a food hall at the Galleria too?

The company debuted Citizens Kitchen in New York and another is coming to Simon Properties' Phipps Plaza in Atlanta. Casi Dani is also opening in Atlanta's Phipps Plaza. So, I wonder if Simon Properties has a Citizens Kitchen planned for Houston since Casi Dani is most likely opening at the Galleria.

Some background from an article last year about a C3's partnership with Brookfield Properties and Simon Properties:

Food and beverage platform C3 will open two outposts of the lifestyle food hall Citizens in New York City and Atlanta this year and next.

A 40,000 square foot Citizens will open in New York City at Brookfield Properties Manhattan West this summer, and a 24,000 square foot location will open in Atlanta at Simon Property Group’s Phipps Plaza in 2022. Additional locations will open thereafter in Seattle, Miami, and California.

More details are in the link below:

https://www.globest.com/2021/05/12/c3-to-launch-food-halls-in-nyc-atlanta-at-brookfield-simon-property-locations/?slreturn=20220107180237

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2