The Galleria Mall At 5085 Westheimer Rd.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I wonder if Casa Dani is taking over the space for Joey Uptown!? I just saw a JoeyUptown instagram post saying they are MOVING! It doesn't give any details...but wowsa they didn't last long at that location! 

Edited by gene
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, gene said:

I wonder if Casa Dani is taking over the space for Joey Uptown!? I just saw a JoeyUptown instagram post saying they are MOVING! It doesn't give any details...but wowsa they didn't last long at that location! 

Wow!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kennyc05 said:

Wow!

Haha I almost feel like they saw my post or someone alerted them to it! There is now a new post that says they are moving their PAGE!!! They took down the post from earlier saying they are MOVING and put up a new post at 820pm tonight saying they are moving their page… ?! very strange 

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, gene said:

Haha I almost feel like they saw my post or someone alerted them to it! There is now a new post that says they are moving their PAGE!!! They took down the post from earlier saying they are MOVING and put up a new post at 820pm tonight saying they are moving their page… ?! very strange 

If I'm being honest I called and they seemed confused but they said they weren't moving. That wouldn't make any sense lol

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, kennyc05 said:

If I'm being honest I called and they seemed confused but they said they weren't moving. That wouldn't make any sense lol

Haha exactly and they DID realize how dumb their original post was!!! They posted this just now on their story after they posted the new post: 

551A7527-6C7C-4895-8865-E746FAAD1EE0.png

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2022 at 7:17 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Michelin-starred chef Dani Garcia is opening a restaurant in the Galleria. He's bringing Casa Dani to Houston. The Spanish-Mediterranean restaurant debuted in New York in December.

Garcia partnered with C3, the delivery-focused concept creative branch and food hall curator of SBE. SBE is the hospitality company behind hotels like Hyde and Mondrian. Katsuya and Citizens Kitchen are a few of their restaurant and food hall concepts. The partnership includes Simon which owns the Galleria and a few others.

From what I gathered in a 2020 press release, C3 has plans to expand Casa Dani to 15 locations nationwide. I assume the brick-and-mortar restaurants will be located in several Simon-owned malls.

In December, an entity was filed for Casa Dani's Houston location. It's tied to SBE Restaurant Group, according to the filing submitted.

I haven't been to the Galleria since Shake Shack opened. So, any ideas where this may land in the Galleria?

On 2/7/2022 at 9:58 AM, gene said:

Hopefully the old Kona Grill spot since that is an abandoned eye sore from the outside and the inside...

Casa Dani, the Spanish and Mediterranean restaurant from chef Dani Garcia, may be located next to Nobu in the Galleria.

A couple of articles published last year by publications in Spain reported the Houston expansion (I missed this earlier. Sorry.)

From a July 2021 article:

"However, Dani García's culinary adventures do not end in Ibiza. After his debut in Ibiza; London, New York, Miami and Houston are the new openings he is planning for this autumn...And as if that were not enough, he reveals that Casa Dani in Houston will open in six months and will be next to Nobu."

https://www.eatinginibiza.com/de/nachrichten/456-dani-garcia-from-ibiza-to-conquer-the-world

And another from last summer:

"Hardly anyone knows it, but Casa Dani in Houston, which will open in six months, will be glued to Nobu."

https://www.que.es/2021/07/13/dani-garcia-aperturas-internacionales/

So, the previous estimated timeline was early 2022. Maybe Casa Dani will open its Houston location in the fall or by the end of the year.

• Like 3

On 7/27/2021 at 11:08 PM, asubrt said:

Are we sure this is Blue Nile the Ethiopian restaurant and not Blue Nile the diamond company? Maybe I missed it and it said restaurant somewhere, but the jewelry store would seem to make a lot more sense for the Galleria.

Signage is up for the buildout for Blue Nile the jewelry store (not the Ethiopian restaurant). It's going in one of the corner spots by the main elevators in the center of the Galleria; I believe it was the old Dior space before they moved to River Oaks District, but I'm not positive.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Microsoft Store Coming To The Galleria
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2022 at 12:45 PM, asubrt said:

Signage is up for the buildout for Blue Nile the jewelry store (not the Ethiopian restaurant). It's going in one of the corner spots by the main elevators in the center of the Galleria; I believe it was the old Dior space before they moved to River Oaks District, but I'm not positive.

I don't think they're in any hurry. The last time i was at the Galleria was for the Christmas event around Thanksgiving, and the signage was up way back then. 

17 hours ago, Big E said:

Maybe its moving to the River Oaks District?

I doubt it, RO district has been losing top brands lately. Prada is present in other Simon owned properties so I doubt they would leave for an a small independent center that's trending downward.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, gene said:

It's trying to be what it would be like if Starbucks and the Apple store married and had a bank

I used to visit a similar place, and it's OK.  Not bad.  Useful, more than anything.  And since it was tied to a financial institution, it had a larger number of day traders, and a smaller number of homeless people than the average Starbucks.

The one I used to go to was tied to a bank called Orange, which I think was based in The Netherlands. 

• Like 3

• The title was changed to The Galleria Mall Developments
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2022 at 9:01 AM, Amlaham said:

So interesting to see what happens when these luxury brands have to make a choice between Houston and Dallas.  Dallas also has Goyard and Jonathan Adler.  I'm sure there are brands that Houston has that Dallas doesn't, but I'm not qualified to say which.

I know someone who was tangentially involved with a French brand's decision-making process for opening a location in the United States.  New York and LA were no-brainers.  But the new choice was between Chicago, Miami, and Texas.  It went with Texas because Texas was least impacted by post-Floyd rioting. 

Hopefully Houston never gets a Jonathan Adler store, or my wife is going to make us miss our rent.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, editor said:

So interesting to see what happens when these luxury brands have to make a choice between Houston and Dallas.  Dallas also has Goyard and Jonathan Adler.  I'm sure there are brands that Houston has that Dallas doesn't, but I'm not qualified to say which.

I know someone who was tangentially involved with a French brand's decision-making process for opening a location in the United States.  New York and LA were no-brainers.  But the new choice was between Chicago, Miami, and Texas.  It went with Texas because Texas was least impacted by post-Floyd rioting. 

Hopefully Houston never gets a Jonathan Adler store, or my wife is going to make us miss our rent.

Interesting...I wonder how much the recent crime waves/riots in certain parts of the country are affecting corporate decisions like this.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Houston photo: The Galleria Mall On Sage Rd. Facing Williams Tower
  • 1 month later...

in major developments, the Burger King in the food court opened this week 🤪... haha

from what i understand, Sugar Factory Express will be opening in late October/early November...we shall see! 

"National dessert chain Sugar Factory will launch its quick-service “express” outpost at 5015 Westheimer Road in the Galleria area early this fall. Marking its second location in Texas, the celebrity-endorsed restaurant will offer its combo of “sweets, treats, and eats,” including smoking goblets and colorful, over-the-top dessert concoctions."

Edited by gene
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Neiman's is getting remodeled, looks like its only interior though. It honestly needs a very thorough remodel, the store is very outdated, especially for one of their highest performing store in the nation.

Fun fact: our Saks store is the highest performing Saks in the nation (outside of NYC's store) and I believe our Neiman's is either number 1 or 2 in the nation. 

Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 4.32.50 PM

Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 4.33.03 PM

Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 6.23.45 PM

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Galleria In The Wall Street Journal
  • 2 weeks later...

New York City bakery Lady M is opening an outpost in Houston, according to a filing a few weeks ago with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation. It will be located in the Galleria at 5085 Westheimer Rd in a 911 sq ft space.

Lady M specializes in Japanese mille crepe cakes. The bakery has hosted several pop-ups at the Galleria over the years.

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/Print/TABS2023001875

https://www.ladym.com/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

New York City bakery Lady M is opening an outpost in Houston, according to a filing a few weeks ago with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation. It will be located in the Galleria at 5085 Westheimer Rd in a 911 sq ft space.

Lady M specializes in Japanese mille crepe cakes. The bakery has hosted several pop-ups at the Galleria over the years.

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/Print/TABS2023001875

https://www.ladym.com/

Interesting location, I feel like it would make more sense if the bakery was located outside the mall. I can't imagine people going to the galleria mall for a bakery, but I guess they know what they're doing 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

you know for the longest time i have been talking to the people over at Common Bond and told them they should take over the old Kona Grill location that way they could service the mall but also have a cool walk up there for those walking by or taking the bus etc... i thought it was a smart idea but they kept telling me they were looking at other uptown locations...

anyway, i think the old Kona Grill is a perfect spot for something like CB or similar...hopefully that space gets filled soon as it's an eyesore seeing that space and the outdoor patio empty. 

• Like 2