The Galleria Mall At 5085 Westheimer Rd.

21 hours ago, Amlaham said:

Interesting location, I feel like it would make more sense if the bakery was located outside the mall. I can't imagine people going to the galleria mall for a bakery, but I guess they know what they're doing 🤷‍♂️

I agree. When I noticed the entity filing for Lady M Texas in the spring, since it was tied to the entity for its sister company Royce' (chocolate shop) in Asiatown, I thought maybe Lady M was considering a location in that area.

But on the other hand, the Galleria makes some sense. Lady M hosted lots of pop-ups there for several years, so it's possible the company thinks being located there is the right move. 

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 1

I really want businesses to stop trying to get me out to the Galleria. Open a location inside the loop first (or Asiatown, GOOF, or even Long Point/Koreatown if you have to be outside the loop), then the Galleria if absolutely necessary. 

This is very inconvenient for me personally and I don't know why they're not considering that.

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...

update on Sugar Factory Express in that there is no update...something has definitely happened to slow down progress as i was able to see through the construction door and it looks like little to no work has been done AT ALL! craziness...

also what in the heck is going on next door with Pot Belly Sandwiches always having that sign that says Temporarily Closed for the past year or so?

• 2 weeks later...

New York City bakery Lady M opened a pop-up store in the Galleria recently. The company announced the news earlier this week.

Lady M is also opening a permanent Houston location in the Galleria next year.

"Houston, we’ve landed! Our newest pop-up is officially open at The Houston Galleria near the ice skating rink!"

https://www.instagram.com/p/ClHdfA1OcaX/

ULmc6I9.jpg

IcUrifJ.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/10/2022 at 6:34 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

New York City bakery Lady M is opening an outpost in Houston, according to a filing a few weeks ago with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation. It will be located in the Galleria at 5085 Westheimer Rd in a 911 sq ft space.

Lady M specializes in Japanese mille crepe cakes. The bakery has hosted several pop-ups at the Galleria over the years.

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/Print/TABS2023001875

https://www.ladym.com/

Houston Chronicle finally reports on the Lady M Houston retail location opening in the Galleria next year. The New York City bakery specializes in Japanese mille crepe cakes.

The article is light on the details. No additional information about the store or projected opening are included in yesterday's article.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/food-culture/article/lady-m-houston-opening-pop-up-17604717.php

• Like 2

Just a heads up- I went to park in the parking garage off hildago at galleria the Saturday before Thanksgiving. yes a kazillion other people had same idea. I guess it must have been years since I did something like that because I don't remember the 47 minutes it took to exit that garage from 4 th floor.

geez

• Like 2

We did some Black Friday shopping there and we parked at the transit center and took the BRT. The parking situation was out of control at the mall. We timed it really well and didn’t have to wait too long. It was cold and rainy but it worked out nicely

Edited by BEES?!
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...

New location for the Prada Store has been revealed

https://www.simon.com/mall/the-galleria/stores/prada

On 11/30/2022 at 4:36 PM, Houston19514 said:

New Prada location is under construction. New Dior store is open (and beautiful!)

ROD Dior seems to be staying for now. Two full service Diors within less than a mile of eachother. Would be interesting to see how it plays out

• Like 4

spoke to the Pot Belly location at Rice Village and they said the Pot Belly at the Galleria is permanently closed and they are not sure why there has been that sign there saying temporarily closed... Maybe Sugar Factory Express should expand there to make a full Sugar Factory...

also Chili's is closed and all walled up...any ideas or rumors going around about what will go there?

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Added photos here of Prada Store and Creed. I took one of the new Dior but can’t find it. Prada I liked the old store design better, but this location is better since it’s in the new luxury wing. Better located.

The Dior is fairly large seems to be taking 2 standard spaces. Which is crazy considering they have a flagship store less than a mile away at ROD. And to add to that there’s also a Dior boutique inside of Saks. Wonder why they have so much space here.

Recent article stated that Uniqlo intends to expand in Texas. They were set to open in the Galleria until Covid paused those plans. Would be great to see it return. Would be a great non luxury addition to the Galleria.

20A15ECA-000F-42A6-98B5-3883ADC77932.jpeg

75E8C3F6-1C01-402A-94D6-2A7BE5F253D7.jpeg

• Like 5

On 3/15/2023 at 1:52 PM, Caribomoa said:

Recent article stated that Uniqlo intends to expand in Texas. They were set to open in the Galleria until Covid paused those plans. Would be great to see it return. Would be a great non luxury addition to the Galleria.

Now that would be something. A marquee store out of Japan, great for a city with a large Japanese population. I was actually wondering why Uniqlo hadn't opened a store in the Galleria already, but Covid makes sense.

• Like 2

On 3/19/2023 at 2:21 AM, Big E said:

Now that would be something. A marquee store out of Japan, great for a city with a large Japanese population. I was actually wondering why Uniqlo hadn't opened a store in the Galleria already, but Covid makes sense.

We honestly don’t have that large of a Japanese population. Although to be fair, no city outside of California and NYC has that large of a Japanese population. They tend to stick to those two locations.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2023 at 3:17 PM, Caribomoa said:

We honestly don’t have that large of a Japanese population. Although to be fair, no city outside of California and NYC has that large of a Japanese population. They tend to stick to those two locations.

NYC's population is 0.3% Japanese. Los Angeles population is 0.9% Japanese. Houston's pop. is 0.1% Japanese. We are literally talking about a difference of a few tenths of percent, two-tenths in the case of comparing Houston to NYC.

• Like 1

I would also like to add that although Uniqlo is Japanese, it's also an international clothing store. It's basically like the GAP of Asia but has stores across the globe. There's actually US stores outside of NYC and LA; Boston, Philly, NJ, DC area, Orlando, Chicago, SF, and Seattle. They also have stores all over Europe! In conclusion, the Japanese population is irrelevant to where a Uniqlo opens up. 

Think Zara (Spain), H&M (Swedish), Topshop (UK); they're not looking for their racial demographic but their "style" demographic. Houston would be great market since Uniqlo is very minimalistic/ laid back/ affordable. Houston style is very laid back.

• Like 3

Uniqlo is an extremely mainstream brand found all over the US and Western Europe. It is a J brand and is the most budget of their offerings.  Their higher end brands are Theory and Helmut Lang 

a muji is what I’m really waiting for. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Amlaham said:

I would also like to add that although Uniqlo is Japanese, it's also an international clothing store. It's basically like the GAP of Asia but has stores across the globe. There's actually US stores outside of NYC and LA; Boston, Philly, NJ, DC area, Orlando, Chicago, SF, and Seattle. They also have stores all over Europe! In conclusion, the Japanese population is irrelevant to where a Uniqlo opens up. 

Think Zara (Spain), H&M (Swedish), Topshop (UK); they're not looking for their racial demographic but their "style" demographic. Houston would be great market since Uniqlo is very minimalistic/ laid back/ affordable. Houston style is very laid back.

High end brands do well here regardless of the vibe here.

6 hours ago, Amlaham said:

22 hours ago, Big E said:

NYC's population is 0.3% Japanese. Los Angeles population is 0.9% Japanese. Houston's pop. is 0.1% Japanese. We are literally talking about a difference of a few tenths of percent, two-tenths in the case of comparing Houston to NYC.

Not sure where you got this from but I don’t think it’s accurate. 

The largest Japanese populations in the continental US according to Pew go like this

1. LA - 182K

2. SF - 65K

3. NYC - 59K

the rest of the top 10 is all West Coast  until getting to Chicago with 25K. So yesh  the difference between Houston and the east and west coast is huge for Japanese population.

later, I’ll get the data from the census and post it here. I’ve seen the census numbers before and they’re along the lines of pew. If memory serves me right, Houston is under 10K

Houston has a relatively huge population for most other Asian countries though

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Caribomoa said:

Not sure where you got this from but I don’t think it’s accurate. 

The largest Japanese populations in the continental US according to Pew go like this

1. LA - 182K

2. SF - 65K

3. NYC - 59K

the rest of the top 10 is all West Coast  until getting to Chicago with 25K. So yesh  the difference between Houston and the east and west coast is huge for Japanese population.

later, I’ll get the data from the census and post it here. I’ve seen the census numbers before and they’re along the lines of pew. If memory serves me right, Houston is under 10K

Houston has a relatively huge population for most other Asian countries though

Interesting.  can you provide a link to the Pew Research?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/deal-sheet/this-weeks-houston-deal-sheet-118725

"Museum of Illusions, an immersive and interactive experience featuring optical illusions and 3D holograms, signed a 6K SF lease in The Galleria. Construction began on the exhibit April 10. It will be next to the West Alabama entrance of The Galleria.

Edited by editor
Edited due to copyright. Remember to summarize and link. Don't copy and paste.
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2023 at 1:41 PM, Caribomoa said:

Gentle Monster opening a boutique at the Galleria.

Marc Jacobs recently opened think that one was never mentioned.

Update: it appears that the Gentle Monster boutique will be the largest in the US. And it will not only be a store but an experience center for the Korean brand.

https://www.rli.uk.com/gentle-monster-opens-new-boutique-in-houston-texas/amp/

While I already knew Houston was a premier shopping destination, I sometimes get surprised by how much brands invest in Houston. I believe Harry Winston still has their largest NA store in Houston as well.

• Like 4

Dolce and Gabbana seems to be opening a decently sized store in the Galleria above the Vuitton store, does this mean they are leaving ROD? They seem to be combining 3 spaces on L2 but I can't tell if it is a temporary store or if they are trying to make L2 have the same caliber of stores as L2. 

Side note, I think the Prada store is temporary so where is the real store going?

• Like 1