Jump to content

The Galleria Mall At 5085 Westheimer Rd.


Recommended Posts

I see...well most people probably wont know that...including me haha!¬†ūü§°¬†and the funny part is i was there at the original about 10 years ago and i couldn't tell you where it was other than new york...but man i love that place...and that city! ūüôÉ

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/9/2019 at 10:17 AM, gene said:

I see...well most people probably wont know that...including me haha!¬†ūü§°¬†and the funny part is i was there at the original about 10 years ago and i couldn't tell you where it was other than new york...but man i love that place...and that city! ūüôÉ

 

I had a yellow taxi cab as a kid that made noises, and one of the buttons was someone asking to go to FAO Schwartz in a super thick New York accent, and they said where it was but I can't remember it now

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Forever 21 recently filed for bankruptcy (they want to focus on online only), A'Gaci did the same earlier this year. Topman/ Topshop closed all US stores. That entire section of the mall is gonna look dead. Is this the beginning of the mall idea becoming "obsolete." It looks like we're headed towards that idea. Online shopping is becoming more favorable, Amazon delivers literally anything to your house, Uber eats/ other apps deliver any food option to your house. There's even apps that brings other services to you like massages, car wash, home repair, cleaning services. Its all cool but at the same time....getting worried we'll all be anti-social in future.

IMG_0934.JPG

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Amlaham said:

Forever 21 recently filed for bankruptcy (they want to focus on online only), A'Gaci did the same earlier this year. Topman/ Topshop closed all US stores. That entire section of the mall is gonna look dead. Is this the beginning of the mall idea becoming "obsolete." It looks like we're headed towards that idea. Online shopping is becoming more favorable, Amazon delivers literally anything to your house, Uber eats/ other apps deliver any food option to your house. There's even apps that brings other services to you like massages, car wash, home repair, cleaning services. Its all cool but at the same time....getting worried we'll all be anti-social in future.

IMG_0934.JPG

Ah great, you found the sheet of paper I mentioned in the Greenstreet thread. 

 

I disagree with you about online shopping. Sure, over half of what I buy nowadays comes from online but I tend to believe clothing is one of those major exceptions. I have to try it on and see how it looks and fits before I ever buy it. You can't try clothing on online, unless you're using one of those specialized apps for buying a suit that gets your measurements from a picture. But even then, most people want to try on a suit before they buy it. 

 

Even with Uber Eats, you don't see tons of restaurants simply becoming Uber Eat counters. People still want to get out of the house, enjoy the atmosphere of a restaurant, and eat the food as soon as it's done being prepared.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I live across the street from the Galleria and walk to it often...I too have noticed all the store closings and empty or covered spaces...

Sugarfina closed the Galleria location last month as well (I think the first thing to close that I was like wow...changes are coming....is when the Galleria McDonalds closed) and now like you said Triton: "A'Gaci did the same earlier this year. Topman/ Topshop closed all US stores. That entire section of the mall is gonna look dead." you forgot to mention Kona Grill as well! and now with Forever 21, you are correct...YIKES! scary stuff! 

I am getting worried as i personally do not like online shopping and like to see, touch and try on everything in person...and i like to go out to eat as that is a large part of my social life (i do not drink, so hardly a bar and i do not know how to cook and don't want to learn so i go out to dinner every night!)

 

 

 

 

Edited by gene
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yikes, this is all feels so sudden. Just a few months ago none of those places were closed on that side of the Galleria. I remember seeing someone post a similar notice for the Subway and they did eventually reopen. I wonder if the same thing will happen here. How is Memorial mall fairing compared to the Galleria? Are they also seeing a lot of closings?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, LBC2HTX said:

No worries those are all shit stores. Other shit stores will take their business. 

Topman’s styling was questionable and way too European. Their shorts are super quality. Have outlasted every other. Price point was too high for their younger market.

 

Forever never changed. I liked getting cheap bathing suits and tank tops but I knew pineapple and other prints wouldn’t last forever. No pun intended. It is literally the same style when I was actually 21, 9 years ago. They never adapted. H&M at least progresses and offers staples, like solid colors.

 

As long as Brooks Brothers stays in that section I’ll still be shopping there. Although they should seriously consider a Rice Village location.

 

The Galleria needs some wider spaces and better transfers between floors. The walking room is not sufficient in some bottleneck areas. It’s poorly planned and a unified vision could fix it if they did it in phases.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Which explains why they ripped off that notice so quickly! (although not so quickly that it got posted here and everywhere)¬†ūü§™

But that is good to hear...I am just glad to not see another empty space that will sit there forever...plus with Kona Grill empty and then the thought of Forever 21 being empty, the front of this part of the Galleria from the street would have looked pretty sad to say the least. 

speaking of which, I am wondering if anything will take over that Kona Grill spot any time soon. I am not sure what would even be a good addition but with major street presence (and indoor Galleria access) I am thinking something more fun and/or more accessible like a Torchy's (despite one opening on San Felipe soon), or a late night Pizza place/bar like Home Slice in Austin or even moving La Madeleine or similar style place up there...imagine commuters and pedestrians being able to walk in out for coffee and baked goods etc as well...I don't know...just thinking aloud haha!

 

Edited by gene
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gene said:

Which explains why they ripped off that notice so quickly! (although not so quickly that it got posted here and everywhere)¬†ūü§™

But that is good to hear...I am just glad to not see another empty space that will sit there forever...plus with Kona Grill empty and then the thought of Forever 21 being empty, the front of this part of the Galleria from the street would have looked pretty sad to say the least. 

speaking of which, I am wondering if anything will take over that Kona Grill spot any time soon. I am not sure what would even be a good addition but with major street presence (and indoor Galleria access) I am thinking something more fun and/or more accessible like a Torchy's (despite one opening on San Felipe soon) or even moving La Madeleine or similar style place up there...imagine commuters and pedestrians being able to walk in out for coffee and baked goods etc as well...I don't know...just thinking aloud haha!

 

 

Empty space sitting there forever has never really been an issue at the Galleria.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Until now...

McDonalds in the food court, the back end of the ice skating rink as well has a large empty space, the lower level of what was TopShop, Kona Grill, Claire something or other across from H&M (which will be Toys R Us supposedly), the cool gift store that was across from TopShop on the upper level,  and a few other spaces (maybe 4 to 6?) you will see when walking through....

so not tons, but enough that i notice.

Let's hope you are right though and all these get filled before the end of the year.

 

Edited by gene
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, gene said:

Until now...

McDonalds in the food court, the back end of the ice skating rink as well has a large empty space, the lower level of what was TopShop, Kona Grill, Claire something or other across from H&M (which will be Toys R Us supposedly), the cool gift store that was across from TopShop on the upper level,  and a few other spaces (maybe 4 to 6?) you will see when walking through....

so not tons, but enough that i notice.

Let's hope you are right though and all these get filled before the end of the year.

 

 

I guess if your definition of "forever" is the end of the year. . .¬†¬† ūüėČ

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The title was changed to Sports Bar In The Galleria?
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Bice Restaurant
  • 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, BigFootsSocks said:

We’re finally getting a Uniqlo yessss 

 

Article: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/retail/article/Japanese-retailer-Uniqlo-to-open-in-Galleria-mall-15086819.php?utm_campaign=CMS Sharing Tools (Premium)&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

 

Quote

The company is working with New Jersey-based KCG Architects to build out the two-story, 22,460-square-foot store, according to an architectural filing with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was aware of Uniqlo from their sponsorships of Djokovic and Federer, but had not heard of Balenciaga, so I looked them up. 

 

Who knew I was so forward fashion thinking when I dressed like this as a geeky 12 year old kid from the 'burbs.  Fashion is a strange business, more power to them, I guess. 

 

 

fashion.png

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...