The Galleria Mall At 5085 Westheimer Rd.

On 11/18/2016 at 2:13 PM, Urbannizer said:

I think this plat on the upcoming agenda is for the hotel.

SubdivisionPlatPDF_GALLERIA REPLAT NO 2_11162016.pdf

It is, they added a rendering for the Tower and the purpose for the plat; reducing the required setback from Sage. Looks like the hotel wall will come in about 2 feet into the normal setback.

Edited by BigFootsSocks
  • Like 4

On 11/21/2016 at 11:48 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

IA Lodging Houston Galleria LP and IA Lodging Houston Oaks GP LLC are entities of Inland American Winston Hotels and Xenia Hotels & Resorts. Hotels of theirs are Westin, Hilton Gardens, some Marriotts and more. I think the replat is for the existing hotel Westin Galleria.

Here's an excerpt from their third quarter overview:

"As anticipated, our third quarter operating results were a reflection of the challenging operating environment in the lodging industry in general and the Houston market in particular," said Marcel Verbaas, President and Chief Executive Officer of Xenia. "Despite these challenges, we were able to drive continued strong margin performance and improve our competitive positioning in our hotels' respective markets. These efforts resulted in a 33% Hotel EBITDA margin for our Same-Property portfolio. Excluding our assets in the Houston area, our Same-Property RevPAR increased 2.3%. While the current Houston lodging market is a difficult one, our expense focus continues to be successful and we look forward to the completion of our upcoming renovation of the Westin Galleria in the second quarter of 2017 as an additional driver for future growth for our extremely well-located hotels in the market."

the_ritz_carlton_thumb.png

^^^ well, of course, the WESTIN is now contemplating renovations, they now know that the RITZ is on the way.....

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

@monarch I'm with you. I think The Ritz Carlton will be built in The Galleria. Ritz Carlton is part of Xenia Hotels too, so I have a hunch it's coming. But I was betting on a Nobu hotel after reports surfaced the restaurant would open in The Galleria. Hope we find out next year.

I am anxious to hear what kind of renovations the Westin will undergo. I've always found the Houston hotel dated.

How is Xenia, a publicly  traded company,  "a part of" Marriott ((Ritz), also a publicly traded company?  I thought Xenia was just a developer/owner of hotels who nameplated the properties with whatever badge thought to be needed in the market.

Am I missing something?  Has there been a merger announced or something?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UtterlyUrban said:

How is Xenia, a publicly  traded company,  "a part of" Marriott ((Ritz), also a publicly traded company?  I thought Xenia was just a developer/owner of hotels who nameplated the properties with whatever badge thought to be needed in the market.

Am I missing something?  Has there been a merger announced or something?

I don't think you're missing anything.  Not only is Ritz Carlton not part of Xenia Hotels, it appears that while Xenia currently owns a number of different flags, including Marriott flags, there are no Ritz-Carltons among them.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2016 at 10:47 AM, BigFootsSocks said:

It is, they added a rendering for the Tower and the purpose for the plat; reducing the required setback from Sage. Looks like the hotel wall will come in about 2 feet into the normal setback.

From the final agenda:

30553007153_16010997ea_o.png

• Like 9

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2016/12/02/exclusive-galleria-hotel-undergoing-multimillion.html

A longstanding Galleria-area hotel is undergoing a multimillion-dollar renovation as part of a trend of Houston hotels rebranding and revamping in an increasingly competitive market.

Roughly $20 million in renovations kicked off at The Westin Galleria in November, a Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide Inc. (NYSE: HOT) spokesperson confirmed to the Houston Business Journal. All of the hotel's guest rooms and bathrooms, as well as the hotel's pool deck and lobby, will undergo extensive renovations. More hotel suites will be added, too, but additional details weren't disclosed. So far, permitting for $1.75 million has been filed.

• Like 2

http://www.virtualbx.com/construction-preview/24374-houston-galleria-high-rise-passes-planning-commission.html

Houston (Harris Co.) - The Houston Planning Commission on Thursday granted variance requests and approved the plat for the 30-story Galleria High-Rise, a 30-story residential and hotel tower being planned by Simon Property Group.

The tower is to be located in The Galleria at the corner of Sage Road and West Alabama Street.

With one abstention, the commission unanimously agreed to allow a varying width right-of-way along Sage Street of 4 to 7.8 feet. A second variance allows for the building line to remain as configured, "creating a verying width of 17.2 feet to 21 feet for the building line along Sage Road."

As explained by planning department staff, "This proposal will create an ultimate  ROW width that varies from 91.7 feet to 100 feet along Sage Road (once the 10' of ROW is acquired by Uptown Tirz as shown by HCMR 657231). If the applicant dedicated the required amount of ROW, the existing structures would encroach into the ROW along Sage Road.

"Additionally, the Uptown Management District and the Office of the City Engineer has voiced no objection to the variance request. The applicant is also requesting a reduced building line along Sage that will vary from 17.2 to 21 feet for a 30 story luxury hotel and residential tower. The high rise building will be located at the intersection of Sage and West Alabama. 

"The reduced setback will match the building line of the existing structures along Sage Road and the distance from the back of curb will be approximately 35 feet from the back of curb."

The tower, first announced in April, is being designed to have 225 hotel guest rooms and from 75 to 100 luxury condominiums.

Simon plans to begin construction in late 2017.

• Like 9

wow and all this time i thought the progress was super slow (as appears to be the case from street view...) this is awesome news and i will walk across the street to check it out this week/weekend! 

thanks so much for the update!!!

• Like 1

WOW walked across the street to the galleria today at lunch and that new 1st and 2nd level corridor to Saks is impressive...beautiful skylight ceiling and incredible light fixtures! I love how light and bright and open it feels! Galleria is the next GRB! haha! 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

regarding the old Saks location that is being re-done, what on earth is taking them so long in regards to the portion facing westheimer...i thought i read it was supposed to be done by spring? maybe it is summer?

had to re-read some of this thread but found this saying Spring 2017 so they better hurry...i am betting summer or fall... 

http://abc13.com/shopping/new-stores-restaurants-to-mark-expansion-at-the-galleria/1654694/

Edited by gene

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2014 at 8:57 PM, toxtethogrady said:

I can remember when that Dillard's was a Joske's. If there were a way to connect to the Galleria, that would make a whole lot of sense.

As for how Zone D'Erotica got that corner, I would imagine it must be making all kinds of money; otherwise the landlord would have raised the rent to something prohibitive and tried to redevelop those pad sites.

just heard this today, although its a week or so old: http://www.chron.com/business/real-estate/looped-in/article/Listen-What-s-up-with-Uptown-s-Zone-D-Erotica-11103769.php#photo-12802668

the owner of zone d'erotica was actually the owner of the land and the manager of zone d'erotica etc....but now he is putting the property up for lease...!!! (apparently he will NEVER sell the land...interesting podcast to listen to within the link above...) and asking 400,000 a year rent means it may just stay as is...OY!

Edited by gene
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gene said:

just heard this today, although its a week or so old: http://www.chron.com/business/real-estate/looped-in/article/Listen-What-s-up-with-Uptown-s-Zone-D-Erotica-11103769.php#photo-12802668

the owner of zone d'erotica was actually the owner of the land and the manager of zone d'erotica etc....but now he is putting the property up for lease...!!! (apparently he will NEVER sell the land...interesting podcast to listen to within the link above...) and asking 400,000 a year rent means it may just stay as is...OY!

We've gotta have something weird there... particularly now that the signs on the West Loop feeder reminding us that Westheimer is also FM 1093 and that Fulshear is 21 miles thataway are gone.

• Like 1