The Galleria Mall At 5085 Westheimer Rd.

7 minutes ago, MarathonMan said:

The interior design here is STUNNING!  I wouldn’t normally go to The Galleria for a meal — too much of a hassle with traffic and parking — but for this space and my love for Indian cuisine, I’d make an exception!

Agreed. Very unique environment. Love Indian food too. Will definitely have to try it out.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

What are you talking about?  The Galleria is not San Jacinto Mall, or Greenspoint...or the Astrodome.  The Retail environment is no doubt contracting but Galleria's formula bucks that trend entirely.  If anything, I can see the Galleria gaining in size, with additional hotel(s), residential towers and entertainment options.  The Concrete and Steel is surely still sound and I'm fairly certain that it will be in another 20 years.  There surely will be multiple renovations and alterations to maintain the structure and update the product.  But, tear down?  I don't see that, in the foreseeable future. 

• Like 4

I went to the galleria the offer day and it is thriving. The outside looks like crap; nothing new there. It has looked like that for decades, but it was just as packed as always. 

Not all malls are going the way of the DoDo bird.  Was at the Town Center in Pearland and Baybrook too and both seemed to be packed

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Timoric said:

What year do you think they will tear down the Galleria?  I think it might have 20 years left.

I'll give it 60 more years, or until my twin daughters can't  walk around much. They and their friends love the place unlike most other malls.

Edited by Twinsanity02
grammar
  • Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 10:18 AM, Naviguessor said:

What are you talking about?  The Galleria is not San Jacinto Mall, or Greenspoint...or the Astrodome.  The Retail environment is no doubt contracting but Galleria's formula bucks that trend entirely.  If anything, I can see the Galleria gaining in size, with additional hotel(s), residential towers and entertainment options.  The Concrete and Steel is surely still sound and I'm fairly certain that it will be in another 20 years.  There surely will be multiple renovations and alterations to maintain the structure and update the product.  But, tear down?  I don't see that, in the foreseeable future. 

Agreed and NYC which is known for ground floor retail everywhere just built a high end Galleria type mall at *Hudson yards. In my opinion, Galleria will be around for many more decades. 

Edited by urbanize713
  • Like 5

They recently power washed Neiman Marcus and it looks a helluva lot better. The Galleria would be more attractive from a pedestrian standpoint if they developed another restaurant or entertainment pod in the parking lot on the corner of Wertheimer and Post Oak.  Dillard's is a box that truly offends.  It looks like at one time it had large display windows facing the parking lots but that these were covered by stucco at some time in the past.  Some attractive displays, trellises with greenery and a paint job to the concrete block walls on the parking structure would make the store look more user friendly and less dated.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 7/1/2019 at 11:42 AM, urbanize713 said:

Agreed and NYC which is known for ground floor retail everywhere just built a high end Galleria type mall at Sawyer yards. In my opinion, Galleria will be around for many more decades. 

Unlike the Galleria, though, Sawyer yards incorporates both indoor and outdoor space, and the two interact well with each other.  The Galleria gives the public zero exterior experience.  Sawyer Yards is far beyond the Galleria in terms of overall scope.

On 7/1/2019 at 11:42 AM, urbanize713 said:

Agreed and NYC which is known for ground floor retail everywhere just built a high end Galleria type mall at Sawyer yards. In my opinion, Galleria will be around for many more decades. 

Are you sure you weren't referring to "Hudson Yards"?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Skyboxdweller said:

They recently power washed Neiman Marcus and it looks a helluva lot better. 

I have commented on this thread many times that a good power washing would definitely help the Galleria in general! (and probably Dillard's too!)...glad to see it was done at NM!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

In the thread for the Zone D'Erotica redevelopment, someone posted about the possibility of a food hall in the Galleria or near the Galleria.

That most def could be a possibility.

There are entities for a possible food hall from Company of Nomads or Silent Theatre Group (Conservatory, Railway Heights Market, Bravery Chef Hall) either at the Galleria or nearby. There is a LLC for Conservatory Galleria  and Moku Bar Galleria. There is also one for W Alabama & Sage, which could be the area this will be built.

I’ve heard conservatory will be putting another food hall concept in Dan Brauns recent acquisition at W Alabama and Rice. 

• Like 2

On 7/20/2019 at 11:13 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

This makes more sense. I wondered how that would work with the ice rink level food court.

When I plugged in W Alabama and Sage on Google and ran a search on Loopnet, the Yorktown Plaza at  5353 West Alabama  (now dubbed 53 West ) came up several times. I overlooked it because I forgot Braun Enterprises purchased the building to renovate.

And Moku Bar is shown as clear as day on the site plan for 53West or 53 West. How did I overlook that and forget about it? Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

Mods, @Urbannizer, @Triton, @Subdude, @Montrose1100, @intencity77 please move this post and the two above to the thread for 53 West:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/39170-renovations-coming-to-yorktown-plaza

Honestly I can't make heads or tails with this entire thread. Its such a mess. I have yet to put anything from here on the map because I just don't know what is what. We should either subdivide things in here into other threads. Maybe one stays on Going Up if its going up, and then the rest can go into the Uptown subforum.

• Like 2

I posted about this in the Galleria Expansion thread last week...i am excited for it.

Houston was chosen because it is one of the largest and busiest malls in the country I am thinking.

also i thought it was going to go where TopMan/TopShop was since a 2 story location would be cool and help divide out the sections they mention in articles where there will be a try and play section...(plus that would have placed it right there by the children's galleria themed play area)...but i noticed a sign saying "Q" coming soon (which i take it is the womens clothing store)

but since b8ta store has involvement in this i am thinking it will be in the Saks Fifth Avenue wing near b8ta and obviously there is enough empty space down that hall still...

we shall see (as the only other space i have noticed large enough is the east end of the ice skating level by the post office next to the massage place as that is now a large white painted wall...

https://techcrunch.com/2019/07/18/toys-r-us-taps-tech-startup-b8ta-to-bring-its-stores-into-the-future/

Again, I am excited about a toy store... 🤡

Edited by gene
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I miss F.A.O Schwartz here in Houston...I would go there often (in the Grand Lux Cafe space on Westheimer)...

However while I wish they would have a big new and improved Flagship store like F.A.O in New York here in Houston...this new store will be relatively small prototype stores that they claim will be a "new kind of toy store"...

only time will tell........

(and will add...of course the NYC F.A.O was packed as it's in the heart of everything that is NYC...plus it's an iconic landmark and the site of the awesomeness that is the movie BIG! although i will bet most people go in there not to shop but to look around and experience the wonder of it all...that is, until Christmas time when I am sure there are tons of actual shoppers.)

Edited by gene
  • Like 1

NYC F.A.O. is definitely as much a tourist attraction as it is a retail outlet. I think what a revived Toys R Us needs to avoid is competing with on-line stores (perhaps even itself) and focus on the new and unusual in its brick-and-mortar stores. People will want to "test drive" innovative products and buy them if they like them. This may have been what made Sharper Image an initial success. Are there any of those stores still around?

• Like 1

No Shaper Images that i know of but yes what you described is EXACTLY what the new Toys R Us will be...just like the b8ta store in the Galleria that is creating this new version of Toys R Us!

It will be interesting to say the least

On 8/7/2019 at 11:34 AM, gene said:

I miss F.A.O Schwartz here in Houston...I would go there often (in the Grand Lux Cafe space on Westheimer)...

However while I wish they would have a big new and improved Flagship store like F.A.O in New York here in Houston...this new store will be relatively small prototype stores that they claim will be a "new kind of toy store"...

only time will tell........

(and will add...of course the NYC F.A.O was packed as it's in the heart of everything that is NYC...plus it's an iconic landmark and the site of the awesomeness that is the movie BIG! although i will bet most people go in there not to shop but to look around and experience the wonder of it all...that is, until Christmas time when I am sure there are tons of actual shoppers.)

The current NYC FAO Schwarz location isn't the same one that was in BIG - that was the Fifth Avenue store, which closed in 2015 during the period when the company was owned by Toys R Us. The new location is in 30 Rock and just opened at the end of last year. 

• Like 1