The Galleria Mall At 5085 Westheimer Rd.

^^^ @astros148 well for some unknown / profound reason our great pal still has not revealed the floor count.  (do you still not harbor these all important details, or are you just a bit intimidated) i just do not see how revealing a (floor count) of a prospective edifice can jeopardize a friendship.... it's just numbers... right?

Only thing that sucks is that it's 30 stories. Is it just me or do other cities always get better things than Houston? Philly, Atlanta, etc all smaller metros and smaller and less important economies than Houston, but all with 40+ stories for an RC. ATL has 2 RCs, and trying to get a 3rd one for their 98th 14th street development. 

I don't understand why Houstons always left behind. But whatever. 

If this Galleria tower is indeed it, then it's quite inferior to RCs original proposal a few years ago at BLVD Place. I want to see Houston get an SLS hotel. 

^^^ @Sellanious Caesar maybe just maybe, it's a 30+ plus storied edifice sitting upon a large multi-floored garage.  everyone is quite aware that parking at the galleria, shall be the ultimate essential.  therefore, should this particular hotel come unto fruition, then we should all expect that there shall be a huge allotment of parking readily available to meet the needs of patrons.  in other words, i guess that i am ready to say that this prospective edifice should rise at least 40+ floors....

On 6/11/2016 at 4:07 PM, lockmat said:

When the Galleria announced their project, Ralph Bivins guessed it would be a Ritz. Here are some excerpts for his argument as to why it could be.

http://realtynewsreport.com/2016/04/07/a-ritz-carlton-perhaps-simon-plans-30-story-hotelcondo-tower-in-the-galleria-complex/

The galleria hotel will also have condos on top, which our HAIF source has confirmed the Ritz will have.

;)

A higher floor count would be nice but if the rendering is delivered closely it will be a refreshing design to the area. I'm extremely curios about the interior design as an alcohol-fueled judgement will take place once it's open.

Edited by Montrose1100
  • Like 2

NO! The above "wink" says it all! I'll take anything RC is willing to throw at us, but the Galleria tower seemed too underwhelming for it to be a RC development. When I think RC I think of their hotel in Hong Kong and that's my dream for Houston. I obviously don't expect a 100+ story building, but 50+ would be so nice. I trust RC anyway so I'm sure whatever they do will be glamorous, I just hope it's large.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HoustonBoy said:

NO! The above "wink" says it all! I'll take anything RC is willing to throw at us, but the Galleria tower seemed too underwhelming for it to be a RC development. When I think RC I think of their hotel in Hong Kong and that's my dream for Houston. I obviously don't expect a 100+ story building, but 50+ would be so nice. I trust RC anyway so I'm sure whatever they do will be glamorous, I just hope it's large.

But they didn't build a 100 story building, or 50 in Hong Kong... they just occupy the last 16 floors of the building :P 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

The RC in Shanghai is something like 45 stories, I think

The RC in Shanghai is the top 18 stories of a 58 story building.  I would love to see something like that done in Houston.  Imagine adding an 18-story Ritz-Carlton to  the top of 609 Main @ Texas.

On 6/13/2016 at 9:00 PM, monarch said:

^^^ @Sellanious Caesar maybe just maybe, it's a 30+ plus storied edifice sitting upon a large multi-floored garage.  everyone is quite aware that parking at the galleria, shall be the ultimate essential.  therefore, should this particular hotel come unto fruition, then we should all expect that there shall be a huge allotment of parking readily available to meet the needs of patrons.  in other words, i guess that i am ready to say that this prospective edifice should rise at least 40+ floors....

Their hotel renderings that were released a few months ago were beautiful. It is a stunning design that will enhance the Uptown skyline. I think it is necessary because Uptown needs more modern architecture and the renderings for the Galleria hotel that we saw were great. 

Yes, I am very disappointed that it isn't 40 stories. Not disappointed to the point where I hate this proposal because I think Houston needs an RC regardless of the # of floors it has. The Galleria Mall is Houston's most visited "tourist attraction" and is obviously home to some of the city's most upscale shops and retailers, and across the street from the Williams tower and the Waterwall. This location fits RCs MO to a T. They always put their hotels in huge tourist attraction zones with upscale retailers and apparent wealth. 

I think what Uptown needs more of is height. Williams Tower and the San Felipe Tower are practically by themselves in Uptown for tall skyscrapers. There are lots of highrises and buildings in Uptown but what it is missing most is in height. I hope a future residential, office, or hotel breaks the glass barrier and goes tall. Uptown badly needs it more than any other district in HOU IMO. 

Edited by Sellanious Caesar
  • Like 1

^^^ @Sellanious Caesar please allow for us to bear in mind that when the new GALLERIA prospective hotel / condo renderings were officially announced, there was no official flag carrier at that time (at least this is what we know... right?)  however, now that SIMON officials have now identified their flag bearer ;) (our little secret) they can now feel free to formalize the actual design of the hotel itself.  therefore, the floor count could very well exceed all of our expectations.

BAYOU CITY / BLUE COLLAR CITY etc.. etc.. this is what the reputation of houston has derived from.  no matter how very large our fair city is... no matter how very wealthy / dynamic / cultured / we are, we still cannot seem to convey to the very society factions that count... that we are also extremely SOPHISTICATED / METROPOLITAN as well.  this is the very reason that cities such as dallas, atlanta, boston, chicago seem to always capitalize on high-end accoutrements that our city takes forever to acquire... it's all about PERCEPTION.  unfortunately, throughout decades, the city of houston's ultra conservative city government along with its management factions, have enabled this BLUE COLLAR stigma to exist.  just think about it for a moment, how on earth is it that dallas seems to be so very ultra high-end, sophisticated, and metropolitan than the city of houston... this state's largest city...??  can you just imagine buffalo, new york, becoming more metropolitan and sophisticated than new york city.... somehow i doubt this.  and yet, it has happened here.  our city's management style and structure.... just never ever fixed this problem.....until now that is....

Edited by monarch
  • Like 1

Didn't really think that "Blue Collar" was a problem. 

It may be nice to have a Ritz as an accoutrement. But, it won't make houston a better city. Our enduring image as a hard working city will. Not a bunch of children placed in  pairs of $300 shoes, or a plethora of luxury hotel brands. Sure I like to see buildings reach higher heights, I love a fine hotel and require a nice pair of boots. But, Improvements to our education and park systems, as well as enhancements to our art and cultural communities will maike this city better. Not another ultra high end jewelry store, women's clothing boutique or even The Ritz. 

I am quite sure that I'm not the only one who much prefers Houston's "Blue Collar Stigma" to Dallas' "Ultra high end sophistication" (if that is even what sophistication even is).  If that is where Houston is headed, then then it won't be worth sticking around for. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Naviguessor said:

It may be nice to have a Ritz as an accoutrement. But, it won't make houston a better city. Our enduring image as a hard working city will. Not a bunch of children placed in  pairs of $300 shoes, or a plethora of luxury hotel brands. Sure I like to see buildings reach higher heights, I love a fine hotel and require a nice pair of boots. But, Improvements to our education and park systems, as well as enhancements to our art and cultural communities will maike this city better. Not another ultra high end jewelry store, women's clothing boutique or even The Ritz. 

I am quite sure that I'm not the only one who much prefers Houston's "Blue Collar Stigma" to Dallas' "Ultra high end sophistication" (if that is even what sophistication even is).  If that is where Houston is headed, then then it won't be worth sticking around for. 

Bye Navi ;)

The Ship Channel alone will ensure our blue collar status will remain a vital part of the city. However, throwing in a ritz here and there will enhance our image and add to the cream. Plus a new watering hole.

You can have both.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Naviguessor said:

^^^ @Naviguessor i absolutely appreciate as well as commend your honest contribution to this dialogue.  however, since i am nowhere near affiliated with or harbor a kind kinship to huckleberry finn as well as tom sawyer, i can only assure you that wealthy, rich, ultra high-end gets my attention fast.  I LOVE THE VERY BEST of everything, and i am not afraid to admit it!  and yet, i am not a rich man.  i work very long / hard hours a week (80+) and yes, I do indeed harbor a most wonderful compensation package thereafter.  not to mention, pretty soon i shall be departing the middle east and journeying back home to houston.  i have been looking for other places to work..... and yes, THE GOOD LIFE goes on.....  

I don't care for those that stay at RC or live there but the building is a very striking design and is a refreshment for Uptown which hasn't had as many tall and modern projects in decades. This building will make an impact in the city's Uptown skyline and its design and architectural form is something everyone in the city can enjoy, not just that live at the RC or stay there. 

I think the building has an awesome design and if its built I'll get to see it every weekday when I drive on 610W. 

galleria-macys-tower.jpg

920x920.jpg

• Like 5

i believe that white tower to the right of the hotel in the first rendering is around 210 feet, and using that i came to the conclusion that the hotel could possible reach 500ft. can anybody confirm this??

sorry if this post sounds rather stupid, im a new user and this is my first post

edit: obviously the parts of the building higher up are distorted to appear taller so my height estimation could be off by quite a bit.

Edited by htownboy
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, htownboy said:

i believe that white tower to the right of the hotel in the first rendering is around 210 feet, and using that i came to the conclusion that the hotel could possible reach 500ft. can anybody confirm this??

sorry if this post sounds rather stupid, im a new user and this is my first post

edit: obviously the parts of the building higher up are distorted to appear taller so my height estimation could be off by quite a bit.

I counted the building and I got 30 stories on top of 10 stories of garage. 40 stories even, which sounds like the RC in every other city. If this design is any indication of what is to come (I like it), then it will be 400 ft minimum but I think the crown structure on top should push it to 450 ft or higher. 500 ft doesn't sound too crazy as a ballpark figure either. 

BTW greetings and welcome to HAIF

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BigFootsSocks said:

Yes, a tower of luxury for the few; that's what Houston needs :rolleyes:

I consider myself one of the biggest cheerleader of affordable housing.

In order for us to continue growing rapidly we need more affordable developments.

But for me hotels are a different story. 

I am excited for glitzy brands and glitzy new buildings. 

The galleria has been showing its age the last ten years or so. This will be a change big enough to keep the galleria in the premiere league. I was scared a bit for it with all the awesomeness going on in ROD, but with all the minor improvements like SAKs and now this,  I  believe that both ROD and the galleria will be just fine. 

• Like 2

plus, even if it were luxury apartments or condos, it would be going up somewhere without any housing at all currently. It wouldn't be displacing anybody, it would just be adding to the city's total housing inventory.

...now I want the Galleria to start sprouting apartment and condo towers...

47 minutes ago, HoustonIsHome said:

I consider myself one of the biggest cheerleader of affordable housing.

In order for us to continue growing rapidly we need more affordable developments.

But for me hotels are a different story. 

I am excited for glitzy brands and glitzy new buildings. 

The galleria has been showing its age the last ten years or so. This will be a change big enough to keep the galleria in the premiere league. I was scared a bit for it with all the awesomeness going on in ROD, but with all the minor improvements like SAKs and now this,  I  believe that both ROD and the galleria will be just fine. 

^^^ @HoustonIsHome please bear in mind that the GALLERIA is currently undergoing a ($250mm) extensive renovation throughout the mall.  therefore, it should become a shining beacon of retail awesomeness pretty soon.  however, the biggest concerns are the VERY AGING NEIMAN MARCUS / DILLARDS stores.  what on earth shall become of them?  surely, they are going to have to renovate these two retailers in order to stay up to par with the brand spanking new SAKS.... right?  the future beholds.....

WHOAAA i just realized that the building seen next to the ritz is the westin galleria, not the westin oaks (which i had previously believed it was)

but the thing is, the westin galleria is much taller than the westin oaks, meaning that my previous guess of around 500ft for this tower could be bumped up much higher

the height of the westin galleria is

- 319ft (according to emporis)

- 258ft (according to skyscrapercenter)

and the height of the westin oaks is 

- 279ft (according to emporis)

- 222 ft (according to skyscrapercenter)

so using this 319ft figure, we can try to estimate the height

or a 258ft figure (if you prefer)

but it seems as if we have a 150m+ building!

(but the ceilings are realllyyy high, but it is a ritz, and i shouldnt be complaining, should i? :lol:)

i just dont get the height discrepancy between the sources though

(i had previously used the 222ft figure and arrived at a ~500ft figure)

galleria-macys-tower.jpg

am i a good detective?

Edited by htownboy
  • Like 7