The Galleria Mall At 5085 Westheimer Rd.

This morning Simon Property Group released renderings of a planned residential highrise in the Galleria, shown here at the corner of W. Alabama St. and Sage Rd. in what’s left over of the land previously occupied by the mall’s second Macy’s. The tower is slated for the same spot previously colored purple for “future retail/office residences” on one of the developer’s Galleria redo maps back in 2014. (That map didn’t mention a highrise specifically, but previous info on the redevelopment plans floated the idea.) Simon says it plans to break ground on the tower by the end of 2017, with a 2019 or 2020 opening in mind.

The rendered view above looks northeast over the Berachah Church across W. Alabama at the glassy highrise, which may hold somewhere between 75 and 100 residential units atop 220 hotel rooms (with separate amenities areas for permanent and temporary residents). The design shows 2 pool decks; the nearby Westin Galleria’s existing pool can be spotted on the right, past an existing parking garage.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, UtterlyUrban said:

Montrose:

agreed.  I was there a week or two ago.  Very nice.  There is also a bar downstairs near the men's department,. Didn't check it out but, it looks like a nice spot to sit and "nourish" whilst the Significant Other continues to hunt.

Yes the bar under the staircase. At first glance I thought how disappointing considering the previous location had quite a swanky set up. And on top of that, the departments of all the luxury brands made it seem like just an extension of the mall. Might have to visit it sober to see if I'm just bitchy or if memory serves it so distastefully.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Montrose1100 said:

Yes the bar under the staircase. At first glance I thought how disappointing considering the previous location had quite a swanky set up. And on top of that, the departments of all the luxury brands made it seem like just an extension of the mall. Might have to visit it sober to see if I'm just bitchy or if memory serves it so distastefully.

Never go shopping sober.. Too stressful.

• Like 4

I notice that the cruddy store that was located at the westheimer facing entrance next to cheesecake factory closed and now there are some major renovations going on...if you look at this photo below, it looks exactly like the same location:

13237743_792492180885845_627943089540498

• Like 1

Im not sure where to put this thread at, but a very credible source confirmed to me that they are in the process of bringing one to Houston, in the next 18 months.

Anyone have any clue where this could be ? This is a very reliable source who I have known for years and has worked on numerous high rise projects such as the W in Austin. 

• Like 8

logo.png

^^^ @astros148 props my cool pal for this intriguing and yet remarkable heads-up!  one cannot help but wonder if this new luxury phenom

shall be the new prospective that is being propositioned for the galleria?  the scope and scale of that particular property certainly mirrors

a RITZ vs a W HOTEL flag.  i wonder if our wonderful stalwart @swtsig (the keeper of the secrets) may want to jump in on this tempting dialogue.  @astros148 oh, by the way my pal, did you and your good friend by chance discuss the floor count of this prospective edifice... would love to know this all important detail as well?  nonetheless, props for sharing this very amazing news with us, GOD only knows that i have been patiently / anxiously awaiting my RITZ CARLTON......

Edited by monarch
  • Like 1

^^^ @Urbannizer after thinking and contemplating about this all night (just could not sleep) i have come to agree that it may be ROD.  however, i have

become a bit puzzled regarding the actual timeline of this development proposition.  i just cannot see houston having its next RC in about 18mo.  it shall take a bit longer than 18mo to construct the type of modern day RC with RESIDENCES that they are constructing nowadays.  it just seems that 18mo is too short a timeline.... i guess....    

Edited by monarch

29 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Most excellent news! My city is growing up.

Where in Uptown do you think?

You know that famous urban planning saying "grocery stores, pharmacies, and GFR follow rooftops"?

likewise, Ritz Carlton follows entertainment clusters (LA), upscale shopping corridors (ATL), or wealthy edge cities with high concentrations of conference space or office space. My guess would be in or near ROD, the Galleria, or Uptown Park shopping center. 

Here are 4 skyline clusters in order of most likely to least that I could see Ritz setup shop in

1. Uptown Houston

2. Museum District

3. Greenway Plaza

4. Neartown (building cluster on Allen Parkway, centered around AIG building)

Hines was actively engaged with Waldorf for a tract adjacent to, but not in, ROD until Waldorf backed out. to my knowledge they were also actively engaged with RC for the vacant tract directly north of Hanover's tower in BLVD Place a few years ago. i would think the senior housing facility on ambassador's way that morgan was once under contract for would be possible.

a location outside of uptown/galleria would shock me.

• Like 2

On June 8, 2016 at 10:46 AM, Sellanious Caesar said:

You know that famous urban planning saying "grocery stores, pharmacies, and GFR follow rooftops"?

likewise, Ritz Carlton follows entertainment clusters (LA), upscale shopping corridors (ATL), or wealthy edge cities with high concentrations of conference space or office space. My guess would be in or near ROD, the Galleria, or Uptown Park shopping center. 

Here are 4 skyline clusters in order of most likely to least that I could see Ritz setup shop in

1. Uptown Houston

2. Museum District

3. Greenway Plaza

4. Neartown (building cluster on Allen Parkway, centered around AIG building)

Confirmed yesterday it will not be in the Museum district or neartown

If it's not downtown (and I wish it was, but we can always hope for a second one down the road), uptown is really the only possibility.  Even more so now that you've eliminated Museum District.

And of course within Uptown, we can now rule out the BBVA-adjacent property. 

Most likely remaining candidates within Uptown:

River Oaks District (or adjacent to...)

Uptown Park

Blvd Place

The Galleria

• Like 2

10 hours ago, monarch said:

logo.png

the scope and scale of that particular property certainly mirrors

a RITZ vs a W HOTEL flag.  

That is no contest. Ritz Carlton is a higher echelon of branding for a hotel than W, which is 2 tiers beneath Ritz on the totem pole. Houston doesn't need a W but to establish its hotel offerings, it will need a Ritz Carlton. 

I wonder if SLS has taken a look at Houston. That's one the city will benefit from dramatically, especially because of how exclusive SLS is. 

1 hour ago, shasta said:

Regent Square? or part of that new Museum District development?

After all, the MD is one of the top tourist destinations in the city

I could see Museum District, but our informer told us that it was not in the Museum District.  He also said it was not in Neartown (I think Regent Square would be considered in Neartown.)

• Like 1