The Galleria Mall At 5085 Westheimer Rd.

If Houston gets a Shake Shack that would be very nice!   Oliver McMillian who is developing River Oaks District has a Shake Shack in their almost identical upscale Buckhead Atlanta development and it is a popular place.  I really like their menu selection.

^^^ although BUCKHEAD ATLANTA, is indeed a similar development as per OLIVER MCMILLAN, RIVER OAKS DISTRICT, shall be on a seemingly different stratosphere than BUCKHEAD.  ROD, is going to be much much better in my view.  the level of merchants coming to the houston development, are CLASS A all the way.  

the SHAKE SHACK may sound a bit casual per se.  however, it is truly and legitimately upscale.  the food is handmade, with a southern / american flair.  quite delish! 

Yes, and the "Shake Shack" hamburger stand seems very luxurious as well.  I only hope they keep the riff-raff out.

In the Saks rendering, is the porte-cochere on Westheimer side?  I'm having a hard time orienting it.

The renderings are odd because they don't show the store in relation to the rest of the Galleria, but the square overhang with the parking lot in front is facing Westheimer, while the side with the porte-cochere is facing Sage. The parking lot is what was already there in front of the entrance to the now former Galleria III. 

Meant to add that if you look at Cloud's pictures from May (previous page), you can see the rendering matches his pictures, we just didn't know what it was supposed to look like back in May

Edited by Ctaf
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Cartier is NOW OPEN in ROD! Congratulations! while i may not be able to purchase something there, i will definitely stop in...and check out the whole development! (just fyi, since i realized i posted this on the wrong thread  :) )

Edited by gene
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Jewel Box is coming along nicely! and the new interior (white wall paint, white tile and new brighter lighting) within the galleria is really brightening up the mall...gotta say i love it! (its coming along slowly and not finished but you can see what it ALL is going to look like when you go up the stairs from the food court to the second level landing...that area is pretty much finished)

its nice to see that the Galleria is trying to up their game and hopefully more exterior improvements happen soon...(or at least a good powerwashing of the facade haha!)

Edited by gene
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Shake-Shack-Houston-rendering_130814.jpg

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/11-09-15-heres-a-tasty-rumor-looks-like-shake-shack-is-coming-to-the-galleria-1/

Last week, the company replied to an inquiry about a Houston locationby Tweeting: "No Houston Shack at the moment, but never say never!" The time when Houstonians are lining up ShackBurgers and fries may be sooner than people realize.

A dedicated CultureMap reader discovered that the same corporate agent who established Shake Shack The Domain Austin, LLC filed to create Shake Shack The Galleria Houston, LLC in April. Shake Shack's Domain location opened in August.

Both The Domain and The Galleria are owned by shopping center heavyweightSimon Property Group, and it looks like they're about to have the restaurant in common, too. A rendering on the Simon Properties website shows Shake Shack as one of the future tenants for the renovated Galleria III (first spotted by an eagle-eyed user of the Houston Architecture Info Forum).

Shake-Shack-Houston-corporate-filing_114

• Like 1

Competition is healthy. I for one am excited if Lego Land is for real. It amazes me at the toys kids have now. Not fair. I'm not afraid to admit I have the space needle. That is neatly hidden in my office.

Anyways, isn't the luxury wing close to Neiman Marcus? Or are they talking about the present saks location? It's kind of weird they have the stores so spread out. And Nordstrom off in the hipster ("alternative"), wing.

I never paid too much attention as to how stores were spread out. I know that Galleria I had the stores initially merchandised like a department store, but I thought Galleria IV (the Nordstrom wing) was just "more of the same" to keep the Galleria competitive (and big). The only one I really remembered being distinct was the defunct original Galleria III, which tended to have more dated and downscale stores, even in 2008 (the two big tenants were the Sharper Image, and the Fox Sports Grill, both of which disappeared within a few years).

• 2 weeks later...

The galleria, for me personally, is already far too big. It's a congested, crowded, maze of consumerism. I tragically hate going there now and avoid it at all costs in favor of stores I can more easily approach. Further expansion of the galleria will be terrific for many, many people. For me, it will be worse.

There are shops in the Galleria that I go to cause they don't exist other places in town (swatch store), or the galleria location is closer to me than other locations (H&M).

But, unfortunately for the mall and other tenants that I don't care about, I don't go to the galleria with the intention of getting a battery replaced in my swatch, then walk around and buy stuff for hours. I park as close as I can to the store I am going to, go in, get what I need, get out.

The only exception to that is when I need to buy jeans. for whatever satanic reason, labels have to change the way their jeans fit every year, so I have to cruise about 5 different stores finding the compromise between best fit and best cost. But I still only do what I got to do then go. 

It works for most people though, they pack up the family, go all day, and buy lots of crap.

• Like 1

haha i live directly across the street so i go walking there almost every day for exercise, people watching, to eat and yes...sometimes shop! haha! 

ps...i have great luck with jeans at H&M, Top Man and sometimes Macy's fyi!

• 1 month later...

no from what i understand Shake Shack will be where saks fifth avenue is now but at the far right corner next to the new saks they are building...(as the old saks will turn into lots of new shops and a food court and restaurants...) 

Edited by gene

• 3 weeks later...

Word from Saks is they will open the new store in late April (I failed to commit the exact date to memory, but I think it is April 28).

Simon plans to have the conversion of the current Saks building into two levels of new shops and restaurants done in time for Super Bowl LI.  (8 months to complete the project)

• Like 2

i live pretty much across the street from this and havent even noticed those color changing lights haha! will have to look tonight 

^^^ yes please do gene.  acquire as much info as possible and let us know first hand.  i cannot understand just why this particular high profile store is somewhat shrouded in mystery regarding its details... the rotating LED surprise is quite a stunning revelation.  we need more... THANKS!

• Like 1

^^^ great illustations urbannizer!  however, for some strange and unknown reason, the exterior architecture / design of this particular high profile luxury store, is just VERY UNATTRACTIVE.  i for one certainly expected so much better coming from SAKS FIFTH AVENUE... am i the only one??

• Like 1

^ I agree actually. Maybe it's just the pictures, but the store seems tiny for what's supposed to be a big flagship (I know the square footage is a lot, but the exterior doesn't reflect that) and architecturally boring. Oh well, at least it's a new store and the Webster looks nice!

• Like 2

to me its not that it is ESPECIALLY unattractive, but compared to the current grand facade which i loved, it definitely falls short...(and honestly anything with changing colored lights feels cheap to me...ambient white or at least one color of lighting looks more sophisticated and upscale in my opinion)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The only one I really remembered being distinct was the defunct original Galleria III, which tended to have more dated and downscale stores, even in 2008 (the two big tenants were the Sharper Image, and the Fox Sports Grill, both of which disappeared within a few years).

Ah, that's because you're a youngster, Tiger. When III opened, it was the "luxurious" wing. Galleria I & II were nothing special, other than the ice rink and the red velvet carpeted theater. III came along, with the marble decked out Macy's, and set the foundation for the more upscale oriented direction the Galleria turned in the 80s.

Of course, the "luxury" aspect of III went right out the window when Sheer Insanity and Gadzook's opened up in the wing. The sales staff and management sure didn't care much for us long-haired, undesirable types meandering through their precious Marshall Field's in route to Galleria III back then, lol.

On a side note, I kind of find it amazing there are so many people in here calling for the demo of Joske's. The oldest, most historical building out there, and you guys want to drop it. Good Lord, if the bastards at Dillard's would clean up the old girl, I think people would see it in a very different light. That building, at one time, only played second fiddle to San Antonio's HQ, within the Joske's chain. To raze it altogether is about as ridiculous as taking down an amusement park and leaving it to become an overgrown pasture.

Thank goodness the developers restoring the Cheek & Neal Coffee Building in East End didn't have the same viewpoint.

• Like 7