The Galleria Mall At 5085 Westheimer Rd.

On 5/27/2023 at 9:22 AM, Caribomoa said:

Update: it appears that the Gentle Monster boutique will be the largest in the US. And it will not only be a store but an experience center for the Korean brand.

https://www.rli.uk.com/gentle-monster-opens-new-boutique-in-houston-texas/amp/

While I already knew Houston was a premier shopping destination, I sometimes get surprised by how much brands invest in Houston. I believe Harry Winston still has their largest NA store in Houston as well.

Already open.  People are raving about the sunglasses.

• Like 3

On 5/27/2023 at 9:22 AM, Caribomoa said:

While I already knew Houston was a premier shopping destination, I sometimes get surprised by how much brands invest in Houston

There's a lot of tug-of-war going on between Houston and Dallas recently when it comes to luxury brands.  Also a lot of the same between the Galleria and the River Oaks District.

The luxury stores in the Galleria are not happy with the levels of crime at the mall, and worse — the number of their customers (and employees!) who get followed home and robbed by thugs who see them leaving the mall. 

Purely speculation, but Simon must be discounting rent to keep those luxury brands in the Galleria.  Especially considering that the Galleria is really showing its age, in terms of infrastructure.  (Some stores struggle with chronic HVAC issues, and other basic problems that can't seem to be solved for months or years.)

• Like 4

well was trying to upload this cool video of the entrance to Gentle Monster but maybe too large a file...so:

698897700_a5ab94441f80483a90269dc7f9b2c6dd(1).MOV

Hope you can see it! It is a cool store...love some of the glasses for sure with most being in the high 200's to mid 300 price range fyi...

Edited by gene
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2023 at 4:55 PM, iah77 said:

Dolce and Gabbana seems to be opening a decently sized store in the Galleria above the Vuitton store, does this mean they are leaving ROD? They seem to be combining 3 spaces on L2 but I can't tell if it is a temporary store or if they are trying to make L2 have the same caliber of stores as L2. 

Side note, I think the Prada store is temporary so where is the real store going?

Not necessarily. Dior kept their ROD store. Not sure about D&G though.

If Dior and D&G prove the market is big enough for a store in both locations despite being right next to eachother, it would be cool to see LV open at ROD.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2023 at 4:45 PM, editor said:

There's a lot of tug-of-war going on between Houston and Dallas recently when it comes to luxury brands. 

Actually, I think the tug of war ended. Brands are now comfortable having a presence in both cities. Some are even opening in both simultaneously (such as Zimmermann).

Austin is still a very distant third but it’s finally starting to come up.

On 5/29/2023 at 4:45 PM, editor said:

The luxury stores in the Galleria are not happy with the levels of crime at the mall, and worse — the number of their customers (and employees!) who get followed home and robbed by thugs who see them leaving the mall. 

Purely speculation, but Simon must be discounting rent to keep those luxury brands in the Galleria.  Especially considering that the Galleria is really showing its age, in terms of infrastructure.  (Some stores struggle with chronic HVAC issues, and other basic problems that can't seem to be solved for months or years.)

I 100% disagree with your speculation. The crime at malls has been a national problem ever since the Floyd era riots in 2020. The Galleria wasn’t one of the hardest hit. Downtown San Francisco is probably the hardest hit luxury retail destination. They’re starting to move the upscale retail there to San Jose now. The richest man in the world is the CEO of LVMH (he surpassed Musk). Luxury brands prefer spend extra for a good location; they don’t settle for discounts. The Galleria is still attractive to them. Random articles about things that happened once or twice doesn’t affect them in that way.

I do agree that all of this reflects on the leasing rates, but it’s only one of many forces. And they aren’t discounting. They’re just reacting to people enjoying shopping at places like ROD more. And likewise, ROD did see the biggest increase in leasing prices of any retail district in the world since covid for a reason. ROD is a luxury only, self contained new urbanist shopping district so it’s able to secure itself better while attending to the shopper’s liking more.

3 hours ago, Caribomoa said:

ROD is a luxury only, self contained new urbanist shopping district so it’s able to secure itself better while attending to the shopper’s liking more.

Is "urbanist shopping district" the new "lifestyle center" which was the new "strip mall?"

I don't think that the River Oaks District has any advantage in security over the Galleria.  It's open to the street, and anyone can walk in.  The Galleria literally has doors that people have to go through to get in.  The problem is that Simon is too cheap to staff the Security department properly.  There should be a security person at each door.

There was a note in the Chronicle a couple of months ago about the city sending more HPD officers to patrol the Galleria.  The Galleria is private property — it shouldn't have HPD on patrol.  It should hire enough of its own security to do a good job, so that taxpayers don't have to fund its security, and HPD officers can work where they're needed more.

As for the tug-of-war I mentioned, it's not speculation.  I know someone who was involved with the process of a high-end overseas brand trying to decide between Houston and Dallas. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, editor said:

Is "urbanist shopping district" the new "lifestyle center" which was the new "strip mall?"

I don't think that the River Oaks District has any advantage in security over the Galleria.  It's open to the street, and anyone can walk in.  The Galleria literally has doors that people have to go through to get in.  The problem is that Simon is too cheap to staff the Security department properly.  There should be a security person at each door.

There was a note in the Chronicle a couple of months ago about the city sending more HPD officers to patrol the Galleria.  The Galleria is private property — it shouldn't have HPD on patrol.  It should hire enough of its own security to do a good job, so that taxpayers don't have to fund its security, and HPD officers can work where they're needed more.

As for the tug-of-war I mentioned, it's not speculation.  I know someone who was involved with the process of a high-end overseas brand trying to decide between Houston and Dallas. 

This is soooooo true, i've never thought about that. The Galleria should definitely hire more security.... and they should be bigger/ more active. The ones they have now look like they were hired off of Facebook marketplace. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Amlaham said:

This is soooooo true, i've never thought about that. The Galleria should definitely hire more security.... and they should be bigger/ more active. The ones they have now look like they were hired off of Facebook marketplace. 

A lady got mugged this afternoon around 2pm right by the Fendi store. There's usually a guard near there, but the perp must have been watching for him to wander away.

The lady was knocked to the ground and the guy took her purse. 

• Sad 3

5 hours ago, editor said:

The problem is that Simon is too cheap to staff the Security department properly.  There should be a security person at each door.

I had my car stolen at the Galleria about ten years ago, and it would be a significant understatement to say that the response of the security department left me less than impressed. They had video of the thieves, who apparently followed me into the garage at a distance and waited for me to go inside, but it was like pulling teeth to get them to provide the video to HPD despite promising to do so during multiple conversations. This was not in some dark, distant corner of the garage, either, but within a few feet of a major, heavily-trafficked entrance to one of the anchor stores.

To add insult to injury, they indicated that car thefts were a common occurrence there, but that fact didn't appear to have inspired them to do much beyond throwing up their hands and saying "oh well, shit happens". 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/8/2023 at 3:41 PM, editor said:

Again, im not saying that the new urbanist shopping districts are a permanent home run or that they’re architecturally beautiful. They’re hot right now for the customer regardless of their quality. And they definitely integrate pedestrian walkability more than a strip mall.

And no, I completely disagree on the Galleria being easier to keep under control. Sure it’s self contained and indoors but this is only one variable. The Galleria has stores that feature all income levels and A LOT of people. Being a quick mix of high and low income at such high numbers of people make it harder to control.

That’s not saying you’re wrong about the Simon Malls security; just something different.

On the tug of war point, sure it exists to some degree. However it’s not the 2000s where an even large brands would only want one store in Texas and fight it out between Houston and Dallas. Today, even some mid size brands open in both simultaneously.

i live across the street from the galleria and have in various buildings on my street for 28 years with no issues so far but yes, sometimes it can feel a little iffy so i am just cautious and alert with my surroundings...

anyway, today when i was going by, i noticed there are now new huge signs on every single drive in entrance that warns that no firearms are allowed on property in various languages...

so there's that...

• Like 3

• The title was changed to The Galleria Mall At 5085 Westheimer Rd.
  • 2 months later...
On 6/17/2023 at 12:19 PM, E.Res said:

I love going to the Galleria. Security definitely needs to be increased.  I try to shop on off times (Weekdays)and park valet.  

I love going as well. We park at one of the transit centers and take the silver line because parking is an absolute nightmare, haha. We haven’t had a lot of issues either, but 100% they need more security, I agree. 

I feel like Simon is dropping the ball with the Galleria (and some of their others too, like FC) in terms of creating an attractive place to be. In an era of online retail (esp. post-COVID) indoor malls are gonna have to work hard to re-invent themselves to stay relevant. And it’s Houston, I want to have nice indoor things to do when it’s the summer, or when there’s torrential rain!

Cultural attractions, non-shopping options, stuff like that really ought to be brought in. Whoever manages Memorial City Mall (MCM) has done an outstanding job- the difference some comfortable seating areas makes is amazing. I could (and have!) spend a whole day at MCM- they have done a lot of quality of life upgrades that make it a much more pleasant place to spend time. There’s a ton of amenities for kids, places to sit and rest, phone charging areas, ample non-foodcourt opportunities to get food/drink (vending machines everywhere) and it just feels more updated and comfortable. The Galleria, by contrast, in some ways almost feels hostile to shoppers and expects you to come in, shop, and GTFO. There are definitely great amenities there too (the ice rink! And the nice playground for the kids), but it doesn’t feel like they want people to sit, relax, recharge, and socialize like you can at MCM. So we wind up usually going to one or two places, grabbing something at Starbucks (since there aren’t a lot of comfortable places to sit), then leaving.

I wish they’d implement some changes to the Galleria to modernize it. Common spaces. Seating areas. Vending machines. More places for kids to blow off steam. It could really be more than just a mall. It’s got huge numbers of residents nearby, already snagged retail options at all income levels,  is on a good high-frequency transit line that’ll soon connect Downtown, and has ample square footage to do some really awesome stuff. If only…

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Caribomoa said:

So Dolce & Gabbana is opening a large store in top of LV on the third floor. This I don’t understand. The second floor is the luxury. D&G will be by itself as far as luxury goes there. There’s the YSL nearby but they’re moving down to the second floor. 

Most likely it will be a temporary store

On 8/20/2023 at 6:46 PM, Caribomoa said:

Prada just reopened but they’re opening a second store? Or just a larger store and the recent opening was temporary?

Someone who works in the Galleria told me that LV and Gucci are each going to have two locations.  But he couldn't speculate about why. 

Also, this person has about 60/40 success rate with predictions about the Galleria, so don't take it as Gospel.

As for Prada, he says the location next to Creed is temporary while a new, larger store is being built.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, editor said:

Someone who works in the Galleria told me that LV and Gucci are each going to have two locations.  But he couldn't speculate about why. 

Also, this person has about 60/40 success rate with predictions about the Galleria, so don't take it as Gospel.

As for Prada, he says the location next to Creed is temporary while a new, larger store is being built.

Louis Vuitton already has 2 stores in the Galleria. One of them is for men only while the larger one is for women. I believe Gucci is in the process of doing the same! This concept is common in other big cities like Milan, Paris, and NYC. Essentially, I believe the purpose of having 2 stores instead of 1 big store for both men and women, is to maintain a boutique atmosphere instead of a giant super center type of atmosphere. Both Gucci and LV have a massive following and having lines outside of their stores is pretty much the norm on a regular weekend, so for them it makes sense. I don't see any other luxury retailer having 2 stores or separating men/women in Houston just yet. 

Edited by Amlaham
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, editor said:

Yes I spoke to a Prada employee, they said it was temporary. Also heard they got pressured to open something by clients after they were originally going to just use the Saks boutique as the temporary. 

The Gucci in the Galleria could certainly use an expansion. But if Dior can operate a store in ROD and Galleria, I don’t see why Gucci couldn’t do that instead. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Caribomoa said:

But if Dior can operate a store in ROD and Galleria, I don’t see why Gucci couldn’t do that instead. 

It's possible that the Galleria worked an exclusivity clause into the lease.  It happens. 

Something like not being able to open another store within x miles of the leased space in exchange for $y rent reduction, or some other perk like covering renovation expenses.  It happens.  Business is messy.

I wonder if in some cases, the store-in-stores are a way of getting around that limitation.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Caribomoa said:

Neiman Marcus may merge with Saks Fifth Ave. In what I’d suppose would be Hudson Bay Co acquiring N-M

If this goes through, I wonder what the long term look for the Neiman Marcus in the Galleria and other malls that are doubled up would be.

Short term, I don't see any change coming.  Neiman Marcus and Saks have different customers. 

But I could Hudson Bay eventually eliminating one brand simply because Hudson Bay is a terrible company that in recent years has ruined Saks in so many ways.  (One example: many Saks stores don't even have HR people in them anymore.  If an employee needs something, they have to make an appointment to have a video chat with someone in Toronto.)

• Confused 1