Post Oak Plaza Shopping Center At 1703-1751 Post Oak Blvd.

no one has mentioned the village which is fun on friday nights. not as much action as downtown (especially when it comes to clubs), but a different scene. two rows is a good brewpub, mi luna for tapas and good drinks (try to sangrita, bring your cc). gingerman and little woodrow's for local bars with lots on tap, baker's street for a trendier bar, and bronx and o'neills for good music and hot girls.

rice village bars on citysearch

saturday downtown is the best place. warren's for some predrinking, really stiff cheap drinks. check out la carafe for an old unique quiet place for beer and wine, then wander to main street where you'll find everything. M Bar usually has good music (hip hop) and dancing, really good looking girls, though i haven't been for a while. Suede/Mercury can be good too. I would just walk around and try to find the action. Flying Saucer is a chill bar with great atmosphere, with any beer you could want available.

some great live music venues with good crowds are Sammy's on Main and Sky Bar on Montrose (with a great view of downtown).

Edited by skwatra

1. a hipster/alternative bar

2. a nightclub preferably with an interesting decor, good music and a great crowd-- hopefuly representative of houston populace overall

3. a place with houston's hottest chicks

1. Try The Dirt Bar. It looks a little sketchy on the outside, but the bartenders are cool, and it's definitely hipster... A lot of local and semi-famous bands hang out here when they are in town (like The Bravery). They play good alternative & rock music.

If you're more into dance music and interesting people, try The Mink. It's near the Continental Club, which is hipster too.

2. Try downtown... Mercury Room/Boaka Bar is a good dance club with a pretty varied population. They are connected ($10 gets you into both)... Mercury Room is downstairs, they have a live band that plays 70s music. Upstairs is really gorgeous (Boaka Bar). They play hip hop and techno.

3. Houston's hottest chicks are in Midtown... where the "beautiful people" hang out. Try Escobar (get there early, long line) or Pub Fiction (get there early too). If you go to Pub Fiction, you will also be near Red Door (across the Spec's Liquor parking lot...it has no sign, just a red door) and a few other bars/clubs, if you're up for bar hopping.

Hope that helps. I've been to most bars inside the loop, and those would be my recommendations.

Oh, and Richmond?? Pretty gangster-ish these days. There are a few bars (Sam's Boat - meat market, Wild West - country dancing with $1 drinks on Friday nights, The Standard (which has changed names, but I can't remember what it is)) that are ok, but I would stick with inside the loop... Downtown / Midtown / The Village / Shepherd Plaza.

Edited by Htowngirl

I just started watching this show, Project Runway, and it looks like we have a Houstonian as a strong competitor on the show. Her name is Chloe Dao and she's the proprietress at Lot 8 in Rice Village.

Chloe Dao

I love this show and she is my pic to win, even before I realized where she is from. She is one of the few designers who is consistantly good and solid, if not outstanding.

I've seen Lot 8 but never stopped in. It strikes me as a place where the XL is a size 4.

Yeah I second that. The Richmond strip is just a little to gangsterish.

A couple of places I really enjoy are: The Gingerman which is in the Village. It's one of the best beer pubs in the country and has a very nice, swiss type of atmosphere. Word to the wise though, it's ultrapacked from 8:00pm on during the weekends so get there at happy hour, have a few imported goodies and then hit the clubs.

If your looking for dance clubs you deffinately need to hit Main street (Downtown) which is really pumpin on the weekends and has a plethora of clubs.

If you get a chance to head 50 miles south, Galveston has a great club with alot of history. It's called the Balinese and it's a wonderful place. It's deffinately not a dance club but it does have some good blues and rockabilly acts.

Edited by Gary

Yeah I second that. The Richmond strip is just a little to gangsterish.

A couple of places I really enjoy are: The Gingerman which is in the Village. It's one of the best beer pubs in the country and has a very nice, swiss type of atmosphere. Word to the wise though, it's ultrapacked from 8:00pm on during the weekends so get there at happy hour, have a few imported goodies and then hit the clubs.

If your looking for dance clubs you deffinately need to hit Main street (Downtown) which is really pumpin on the weekends and has a plethora of clubs.

If you get a chance to head 50 miles south, Galveston has a great club with alot of history. It's called the Balinese and it's a wonderful place. It's deffinately not a dance club but it does have some good blues and rockabilly acts.

If you go to the Gingerman, say hi to Vonnie for me. Don't tell her you know me though or she might waterdown your drinks.

Edited by TJones

If you go to the Gingerman, say hi to Vonnie for me. Don't ell her you know me though or she might waterdown your drinks.

:P:P:P Thanks for the advice. Are you doing the weekend or afternoon thing? I've gotten to where I really enjoy Friday happy hour (before the crowd comes in).

:P:P:P Thanks for the advice. Are you doing the weekend or afternoon thing? I've gotten to where I really enjoy Friday happy hour (before the crowd comes in).

I have a job that all but kills me, any time I have off goes straight to my daughter, and my 6 month preggers wife. Vonnie and I are ol'pals from when she and I used to work at Mama's Cafe back in the mid 90's, just tell her "big TJ" said hey. Are you a regular there Gary?

I used to go there alot, when my buddy Rob Milam owned Senor Ritas next door. It is sooooooo dark in that Gingerman, or maybe it seemed that way because my eyes stay about half closed when I am getting my drink on.

Edited by TJones

I have a job that all but kills me, any time I have off goes straight to my daughter, and my 6 month preggers wife. Vonnie and I are ol'pals from when she and I used to work at Mama's Cafe back in the mid 90's, just tell her "big TJ" said hey. Are you a regular there Gary?

I used to go there alot, when my buddy Rob Milam owned Senor Ritas next door. It is sooooooo dark in that Gingerman, or maybe it seemed that way because my eyes stay about half closed when I am getting my drink on.

Yeah I'm there all the time, well at least most Fridays. Oh and I love this line, ""It is sooooooo dark in that Gingerman, or maybe it seemed that way because my eyes stay about half closed when I am getting my drink on". :P It is actually pretty dark in there but I like to sit out in the beer garden anyway. It's pretty tranquil before the crowds start arriving.

Did you happen to know the guy with the long grey hair that managed the place? I haven't thought about him in a while but he was such a nice guy. He used to bring us free spinach dip because we were there so much. Maybe I can ask Vonnie :rolleyes:

Yeah I'm there all the time, well at least most Fridays. Oh and I love this line, ""It is sooooooo dark in that Gingerman, or maybe it seemed that way because my eyes stay about half closed when I am getting my drink on". :P It is actually pretty dark in there but I like to sit out in the beer garden anyway. It's pretty tranquil before the crowds start arriving.

Did you happen to know the guy with the long grey hair that managed the place? I haven't thought about him in a while but he was such a nice guy. He used to bring us free spinach dip because we were there so much. Maybe I can ask Vonnie :rolleyes:

If I heard the name, I'm sure it would ring a bell.

Once you're in Houston, pick up this free publication for club / bar info

http://www.envyhouston.com/

You can find it on street corners and some of the trendier stores.

Hey, Envy has more than bars and clubs, just like Houston does.

Pick up a copy and let me know what you think. P.S. the website is being redesigned.

Edited by Kelley

That's the thing, I can't remember his name.

If you ever stop in on a Friday look for the guy with long brown hair (me) and say hey.

Just my luck it will be "guys with long brown hair" night, and there will be whispering amongst all saying, "who is the freak that keeps saying "hi Gary!" to everyone." or something like "awwwwww, that poor kid, he must be slow, where's his helmet ?" Yeah, like I'm gonna fall for THAT one again, nice try Gary ! <_<

I'm visiting Houston next week. I am a complete newbie to houston nightlife, although i have heard that a lot of bars exist downtown and in the richmond district.

since i am a visitor, i'd like to see a wide variety of stuff:

1. a hipster/alternative bar

2. a nightclub preferably with an interesting decor, good music and a great crowd-- hopefuly representative of houston populace overall

3. a place with houston's hottest chicks

This post might be a bit late but if might help others out. Check out the link in my sig. It will have a variety of things to do in Houston including entertainment, bars, nightlife, events, and more. It also is the most comprehensive Asian guide so if you want to do a bit of sightseeing and stuff, it will definitely help you out. Enjoy!

This post might be a bit late but if might help others out. Check out the link in my sig. It will have a variety of things to do in Houston including entertainment, bars, nightlife, events, and more. It also is the most comprehensive Asian guide so if you want to do a bit of sightseeing and stuff, it will definitely help you out. Enjoy!

What a great site! Thanks for the link.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd just like to remind everyone that the first part of the finale is next Wednesday on Bravo. Chloe did make the final three, which means next week is the episode where she gives Tim a tour of her hometown (Houston). It might be fun to watch and see if you can spot places you recognize.

I'd just like to remind everyone that the first part of the finale is next Wednesday on Bravo. Chloe did make the final three, which means next week is the episode where she gives Tim a tour of her hometown (Houston). It might be fun to watch and see if you can spot places you recognize.

Thanks for the heads up.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Congrats to Chloe!

I was actually at her finale party last night at Farrago's with my fiancee, who is only in for the week and is a super-fan of the show so this was a must-do for her. She didn't know Chloe would actually be there but she was and though I personally have only seen about 4 episodes, it was really fun. Chloe has an enormous family (7 sisters I believe) and they all live here in Houston. So with just her friends and family alone, the place was packed. We had dinner there with two other friends so we were there early and were able to secure a great table all night. I got the impression that we were one of the only people there who didn't know Chloe personally. But it didn't matter because it was still really exciting to hear all the cheering for her and booing for the other contestants. Good times.

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking, houston has a TON of malls. Maybe thats why with the exception of a few they all stink and are going to go out of business.

Here's what i mean:

Sharpstown Mall-Crappy, Outdated, Dangerous, Dirty, etc.

Westwood Mall-Not a mall no more

Greenspoint-you mean gunspoint... and lots of stuff there is closing

Northline-Is it even still there?

Northwest-Old, Outdated, Ugly, Dying

Westchase-My 1985 Mapsco keymap says there was a mall there... i guess it didnt make it eh?

Town and Country-Impossible to get to, glad they tore it down

Gulfgate-Dumpy, now its a mega big box center..boring...

Meyerland Mall-is no more...

Pasedena Mall- is almost empty

San Jacinto Mall-Its a ghost town in there...

North Oaks Mall:There was really a mall back on 1960, right?

Yeah, we got some nice malls here, like the galleria and memorial city, and im not trying to say shopping in houston sucks or anything, but its too bad we have all these blighted albatrosses in the city. I think Sharpstown could be saved like Memorial City if there is more security to change its image, but for the rest i think they are toast.

Of Course we also have many nice malls:

West Oaks

Willowbrook

Baybrook

Deerbrook

Woodlands

First Colony

Memorial City

Galleria

Edited by zaphod