Post Oak Plaza Shopping Center At 1703-1751 Post Oak Blvd.

The rendering in the first post above appears to be perhaps an old rendering and not the current plan. If you go to Levcor.com you can click through to to see their current renderings and leasing brochures. The design is quite different from the above rendering and there is no mention of Borders. The above rendering does appear on their site, in fact on the front page of references to Post Oak Plaza, which seems odd...

The parking in this center is already terrible. There simply aren't enough spaces despite the sea of surface parking for the current businesses. Adding a Borders to the mix certainly wont help.

Seems as if they are just putting some lipstick on a dated strip center. At the very least, they needed to spend the $$$ to add a garage. Try heading there at noon. It's a MESS.

The idea is to update the style a litte without reconstructing the whole thing or making any huge outlays. The strategy, it would seem, is to create upside rent potentials and, since they know that BLVD Place is going to cause a lot of retailers to look at Houston or the Galleria area that wouldn't have before, and that those retailers are likely to evaluate alternatives to BLVD Place in order to make sure that they're getting a decent deal, they may also be in a position to capture a few of those. The surface parking may be cramped, but most retailers see it as a competitive advantage because it increases visibility and the shopper's percepions (whether founded in reality or not) of convenience and ease of accessibility.

If I'm not mistaken, there was a Chronicle article from way way back that had said that Levcor was pondering whether to demolish and rebuild the center, just like Wulfe was going to do. I don't see that eventuality as being off the table, but by making only superficial upgrades, it puts them in a good to wait and see how things go with BLVD Place and all of these other big mixed-use centers before diving in, themselves.

The rendering in the first post above appears to be perhaps an old rendering and not the current plan. If you go to Levcor.com you can click through to to see their current renderings and leasing brochures. The design is quite different from the above rendering and there is no mention of Borders. The above rendering does appear on their site, in fact on the front page of references to Post Oak Plaza, which seems odd...

I signed up for the Uptown Update from the neighborhood website, this is what they sent me.

Luby's only fronts as a restaurant. They are actually elderly manufacturing plants. That's where all old people come from.
Funny, but really Luby's just reheats food.
Yeah, if you look at the renderings from the website, there is no Borders. There is a Whole Earth about where the Borders is in the above rendering, and the Lubys is on the other side, kinda in the corner.
What is Whole Earth, is it like Whole Foods, but they sell dirt and trees too?

They have a Whole Earth on Shepard near the old Alabama theater. They don't have food like Whole Foods, but they have clothes and equipment for doing "earth" stuff, like hiking or mountain climbing, and they're all about eco-friendly stuff and tree-hugging and eating granola. I think their stores use "green" power.

• 9 months later...

u1wg3.jpg

The final product is pretty much done, and the Borders represented here back in 2007, must have been planned before it moved to Galleria 2.

Luby's is now on the corner, and from what they said on Roula and Ryan show, Roula loved the location and the design.

Chic cafeteria dining. :rolleyes:

i'm sure i would've noticed, but did they in fact add a whole earth?

Didn't notice, and likely not.

Check out the latest plans.

Before

u1wg3.jpg

After

20mtc1.jpg

2dhek9e.jpg

Website

Flyer

Note, a new stop light by Linens N Things is coming up, as well as a Pappas Restaurant, with a second story next to the Home Source/Wolf Ripoff Camera.

• Like 1

I can see a total demolition of this place considering it's location. What a bigtime drag of a renovation.

one would have to think that this property, the weingarten (ugh) shopping center on the NEC of post oak & westheimer, and the brucettes shoes corner will all under go urbanized redevelopment in the next 5-10 years. i just pray weingarten has nothing to do with any potential redevelopment on their lot.

• Like 1

one would have to think that this property, the weingarten (ugh) shopping center on the NEC of post oak & westheimer, and the brucettes shoes corner will all under go urbanized redevelopment in the next 5-10 years. i just pray weingarten has nothing to do with any potential redevelopment on their lot.

When they had vacancies, they should have spent some extra cash and really done something to compliment the development across the street.

This shopping center won't last.

We the lightrail line going down Post Oak to and BLVD Place coming in at the same time, it will have to be demolished and completely redone to remain relevant.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Didn't notice, and likely not.

Check out the latest plans.

Before

u1wg3.jpg

After

20mtc1.jpg

2dhek9e.jpg

Website

Flyer

Note, a new stop light by Linens N Things is coming up, as well as a Pappas Restaurant, with a second story next to the Home Source/Wolf Ripoff Camera.

Linens N Things is closing this location too.

Is the company closing down or something?

Linens N Things is closing this location too.

Is the company closing down or something?

Unless something changed since this last press release on store closings, I don't think this is correct. LNT is in Chapter 11 reorg right now and they have announced the closing of 57 underperforming stores, but there is only one in Texas up in Mesquite.

LNT Press release on store closings

yep

linens and things is closing!

the banners are up and at 10 to 30 percent off, they are still more expensive than target or walmart ;)

anyway...please let it be a pappasitos coming to the plaza or the area.

working and living just a block away from a pappasitos would be a dream come true haha!

• Like 1

yep

linens and things is closing!

the banners are up and at 10 to 30 percent off, they are still more expensive than target or walmart ;)

anyway...please let it be a pappasitos coming to the plaza or the area.

working and living just a block away from a pappasitos would be a dream come true haha!

I can't imagine a Pappasitos moving into a newly renovated, bland shopping center like that. Don't they usually spend a lot of money making their restaurants look more... uh... antique? If they're moving into the area, I'd think it would have to be in a different location nearby, no?

• Like 1

I can't imagine a Pappasitos moving into a newly renovated, bland shopping center like that. Don't they usually spend a lot of money making their restaurants look more... uh... antique? If they're moving into the area, I'd think it would have to be in a different location nearby, no?

well since you mentioned it, i cant recall any pappa's restaurants not located in stand-alone buildings... so it might as well be pappasitos.

a pappasitos w/in walking distance of my house and place of employment would be trouble to my waistline and wallet, though.

• Like 1

Oh, now come on, y'all. Enough with this Pappasito's foolishness. Y'all know there are much better Tex-Mex places in town (that also cost a lot less money and aren't as full of loud parties and screaming kids) than Pappasito's. You're killing me!

If you're that desperate for Tex-Mex in the Galleria area, there's a Ninfa's right there on Post Oak (marginally better food than Pappasito's) and a Los Cucos on Westheimer (marginally better as well). Paparrucho's on Sage does a good happy hour. La Tapatia on Richmond ain't bad either. Then again, looking at all the options I've just listed, I guess the Galleria area isn't exactly the place to get great Mexican food. Maybe a Pappasito's would fit right in with the mediocrity. :lol: