Post Oak Plaza Shopping Center At 1703-1751 Post Oak Blvd.

Hickory Hollow, is another good Greasy Spoon. I made the mistake of ordering a Kelley Burger, over at Kelley's on I-45. I am 6'4" 320lbs, and I couldn't finish the damn thing. I never get a togo box, although I should most times. I was very impressed. I usually get the chicken fried steak, yes, I live in Katy, but my family and I make special trips just to go eat there. :D To quote Hakeem Olajuwon, "It's Un-beat-able !"

If you like big burgers, go to Adrian Burger near Wheatley HS. I ate there only once, about 15 years ago, when my appetite was much bigger, but I didn't come close to finishing the Adrian Burger. It's a 1-lb hamburger (one patty, not two) with all the fixin's, plus "fries". The fries were 3 Russet potatoes cut into quarters and fried. In addition to their famous burgers, Adrian Burger also had daily soul food specials (greens, mac & cheese, oxtails, sweet potatoes, etc.)

I've eaten at the Kelley's down in Pearland a number of times, which I assume is no different than the one on the Gulf Freeway at Park Place. I always ate their BBQ-stuffed potato. I want to know where they got those potatoes...They gave you one huge potato, as long as 3 or 4 big Russett potatoes, like a foot or 18-inches long, and you would swear it couldn't be one big potato. I thought they must have actually stuck several potatoes together to make this thing, but I could never find a "seam". I wouldn't put Kelley's on my fine dining list, but you definitely got your money's worth there.

Well Timmy, we are talking about greasy spoon's here. :D Kelley's is a one pounder also. I will have to check out Adrian's. My favorite "burger joint" is Shuttleburger over by Hobby airport. I think you could also say it is a "greasy spoon" for the simple fact, there is literally grease on the walls.

At the corner of 59 The Southwest Freeway and W. Bellfort across from Fry's Electronics, is by far the best Soul Food Joint in the city IMO. Mickie's Soulfood will have you licking your chop's.

It is however starting to become EXTREMELY popular, so the crowds are a little insane at times. But there is a 50/50 chance you will see a celebrity in there, so it becomes worth it.

At the corner of 59 The Southwest Freeway and W. Bellfort across from Fry's Electronics, is by far the best Soul Food Joint in the city IMO. Mickie's Soulfood will have you licking your chop's.

It is however starting to become EXTREMELY popular, so the crowds are a little insane at times. But there is a 50/50 chance you will see a celebrity in there, so it becomes worth it.

Examples of "celebrities" please. B)

Examples of "celebrities" please. B)

Jan Jeffcoat. ;)

Seriously, some of the Rockets as well as Comets and other NBA players that reside here in the off season. Jazzy Fey and Cee-lo were there yesterday. There is actually a hall of fame wall in the place of different celebs that have taken photos with the owner. Basically mostly hip hop stars from P.Diddy to LL Cool J.

By the way, the clientel is almost as diverse as Houston itself.

Edited by VelvetJ

saturday was big fun!! (just in case anyone was wondering) ;)

we couldn't decide on a patio so we bounced around montrose for about 10 hours. we started at la strada at noon. the weather was amazing. i had the jalapeno fettucini. it was delicious. the food at la strada's brunch is not the best food i've had, but for the occasion it was perfect. the six of us wore out our welcome at la strada after 3pm and headed over to mo mong. those ginger infused martinis are super. we ordered bo luc lac and spring rolls to share. after one too many $7 martinis we headed down to zimm's (for $10 martinis) on montrose blvd. the atmosphere is very relaxing especially early in the evening. the crowd gets a little uppity after 8pm (IMO). if you want to visit with friends and have a cocktail, i would advise going as soon as they open (5PM). by 9 we were feeling the need for more solid nourishment and headed over to baba yegas. of course, the patios were packed and we had to sit inside. "give me smoked turkey and brie or give me death" i always say. the fresh fruit sides are always a welcome surprise.

bouncing around montrose is always great fun. it's so nice to not have to resort to a chain establishment.

• 3 weeks later...
Bar-B-Que Inn-Crosstimbers at Yale: The chicken fried steak is a cardiac on a plate.

Oh yeah-what Watchful said: Triple A on Airline.

Oh yeah again: Texan Cafe on Shepherd just inside the loop. Nasty good.

B)

"Nasty good" ?! I am all in on that one. Soon as I get tired of Turkey Hash and Turkey sandwiches, and Turkey pot pies, and Turkey casseroles, I am there ! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I just started watching this show, Project Runway, and it looks like we have a Houstonian as a strong competitor on the show. Her name is Chloe Dao and she's the proprietress at Lot 8 in Rice Village.

Chloe Dao

This show has been my guilty pleasure since it's 1st season last year. We had a Houstonian on last season as well- Vanessa Riley. She looked to have a lot of promise at the beginning of the show, btu quickly became the b!tch of the show. We can all thank Chloe for redeeming us! She is a very strong contender who may help the rest of the country understand that Houston is metropolitan AND COSMOPOLITAN. :D

This show has been my guilty pleasure since it's 1st season last year. We had a Houstonian on last season as well- Vanessa Riley. She looked to have a lot of promise at the beginning of the show, btu quickly became the b!tch of the show. We can all thank Chloe for redeeming us! She is a very strong contender who may help the rest of the country understand that Houston is metropolitan AND COSMOPOLITAN. :D

Now, this is a show my wife watches, I happen to catch it last night, Chloe is soooooooooo flying under the radar, she is very very talented though.You can't take anything away from her. I feel confident she'll be in the top 3, if not win. :blush:

I'm visiting Houston next week. I am a complete newbie to houston nightlife, although i have heard that a lot of bars exist downtown and in the richmond district.

since i am a visitor, i'd like to see a wide variety of stuff:

1. a hipster/alternative bar

2. a nightclub preferably with an interesting decor, good music and a great crowd-- hopefuly representative of houston populace overall

3. a place with houston's hottest chicks

I'm visiting Houston next week. I am a complete newbie to houston nightlife, although i have heard that a lot of bars exist downtown and in the richmond district.

2. a nightclub preferably with an interesting decor, good music and a great crowd-- hopefuly representative of houston populace overall

I haven't gone out in awhile, but I hear that "Mary's" on Westheimer near Montrose is slammin on any given night.

1. Any place that would characterize itself that way isn't really what it's saying it is. That being said, you're going to want to hit The Davenport on Richmond. It's a martini lounge type, decor a la Urban Outfitters. Drinks are good and it gets pretty packed with a variety of people.

2. Next to the Davenport, there is a club called Indigo. I don't go to clubs, but it has a lot of trendy looking people going in and out...

3. This question is obnoxious and doesn't deserve a response.

Downtown Houston has a lot of everything. I don't know where you're coming from, but don't expect NYC. We're getting there, but we're not there yet. Downtown you'll find a little of everything. Start at Warren's, go to the bar at Hotel Icon, and then just wander around and see what you find...

I don't go out all that often any more, but off the top of my head:

Last Concert Cafe, on Nance just north across Buffalo Bayou from Downtown

Cecil's, on West Gray

Lone Star Saloon, on Travis St(?) downtown

Warren's, on Travis St in Market Square downtown

Big Top Lounge, on Main Street at Alabama, and right next to...

Continental Club, on Main Street next to the Big Top

Poison Girl, on Westheimer in the Montrose

West Alabama Ice House, on West Alabama (since 1927)

The Axiom, on McKinney in the Warehouse District

And a word of advice...there ain't much to see on the Richmond Strip anymore. I wouldn't bother. Then again, I didn't patronize the Richmond Strip clubs even in its heyday. Not my style.

Edited by Original Timmy Chan's

i'd have to agree with downtown/montrose area (but not mary's - the ripcord!!!) :rolleyes:

i may not be addressing the three criteria, but i would recommend warren's, la carafe, catbirds, the continental club, helios, and maybe the whiskey (hotel icon - although i have never been)...

Edited by sevfiv

i'd have to agree with downtown/montrose area (but not mary's - the ripcord!!!) :rolleyes:

i may not be addressing the three criteria, but i would recommend warren's, la carafe, catbirds, the continental club, helios, and maybe the whiskey (hotel icon - although i have never been)...

Whiskey meets the "hot chicks" criteria, but take your black AMEX card. Nothing in that hotel is inexpensive.