Post Oak Plaza Shopping Center At 1703-1751 Post Oak Blvd.

We did notice that they didn't like race-mixing there, though. We saw lots of blacks and lots of whites there, but never at the same table. My wife is black and I'm white, and we got stared at everywhere we went like we were on fire. It was a strange feeling, and one that we've never once felt here in Houston.

It's a tremendous city, but they've got a lot of work to do in that department, based on our experience.

i completely agree. not just at the same table, but at the same venue. when we went bar-hopping, every place we went was either all white or all black, very little mix.

but overall i like the city, i have some friends at Tech so i make it over every once and a while.

I just got back from playing in ATL at the Eartlink Live arena, and spent close to a week touring the city. I did most of my touring on the MARTA rail which was conveniant, but was old and dirty. I was not impressed at all except for the fact that it wasn't stopping at traffic signals like METRO does. METRO while obviously newer is much cleaner in design and the stations are far superior in cleanliness.

My hotel was in Midtown with a great view. I was able to walk to a few places but the city wasn't very walkable. On top of that all of the eateries would close by 7:00pm, it was a real pisser.

I spent a day in Buckhead walking around and taking some pics of the buildings and i have got to say that this area is the most overrated uptown ever. It was a glorified business park, and I'm not exagerating. I was very dissapointed. It was almost impossible to find anything to eat or even drink,and the atmosphere was very blah.

I spent one evening walking in Midtown which was completely uneventful as the place shut down by 7:00pm, (see above). I will say that ATL's Midtown is very cool at night with all of it's buildings being iluminated, something Houston should take note of in my opinion, but all in all it was very boring.

Edit: Maybe I should read the top post more carefully, this wasn't about the eat out capitol. Derrrrr!

Downtown was also fairly boring, it had a few clubs (peachtree) but was nothing to write home about.

Now the arena we played in (Eartlink Live in Midtown) was pretty cool but did not hold a candle to the Verizon in Houston, it was also smaller. Houstons is better layed out, cleaner and is in a much cooler part of town.

Again it was very difficult to get food in ATL, they don't have a restaurant on every corner like Houston. The restaurants we did go to (mainly on Peachtree) suffered in the food catagory. The cuisine was nominal and was very "Chile's" like. We couldn't find Tai, vietnamese or the like, so we settled for burgers or quesadilas most of the time.

The cities culture was very segregated and small town like. Any place we went was either white or black, there was almost no mixing of races at all. Don't get me wrong I'm not asking a city to mix if they choose not to but it made ATL smaller in my eyes. It deffinately did not have the cultural diversity of Houston, not even close.

ATL is a decent city but imo it is highly, and I say again highly overrated. There was trash on a lot of the streets, the nightlife was subpar and the design of the city is way to spread out. In fact as I mentioned before regarding Buckhead, the majority of the business districts came across as glorified business parks.

I'm a little pasionate about this now because of how excited I was to finally have the time to tour the city I always heard so much about. I had been to ATL at different times before, but did not have the time to tour. In other words I was very dissapointed in my trip there. Maybe it's because ATL is pumped so much in the media that I gained a false impression of what the city was really like. One positive is that the show sold out and the crowd was very good.

So City Kid, I assure you that Houston has nothing to fear from Atlanta in just about every catagory except it's landscape. Houston feels and acts like a BIG city, ATL feels and acts like an up and coming city that is trying to prove it's with the big dogs. Trust me it's not. In fact Dallas blows out ATL imo.

Oh, I forgot what the thread was about, eat out capitol of the south. I agree that Houston is not a southern city but even if it was, there is no chance in hell that ATL touches it in this catagory. The cuisines here are on a diffrent planet that that of ATL's, and from what I've seen that's a non debateable statement.

Edited by Gary

• 2 weeks later...

dearest haif foodies,

i'm thinking of spending a weekend revisiting old haunts this weekend or next at restaurants i love and miss. is there anything i should try that's not on my list (that is to follow)?

my friends and i have a couple places we cannot stand to be away from:

backstreet cafe

van loc

mia bella

mark's

americas

la strada (ok, if the sundays are still as rowdy as they used to be, otherwise, i'm over it. haven't been there for awhile)

cafe japon

zimm's

mo mong

the teahouse on shepherd at randall's

with that said..........is there anywhere that we might try for a birthday dinner? we have two birthdays in october and usually spend a day or afternoon restaurant/bar/lounge hopping. the weather can be great and we like to schedule a couple of designated drivers and bounce around the inner loop area.

your suggestions are welcome.

dearest haif foodies,

i'm thinking of spending a weekend revisiting old haunts this weekend or next at restaurants i love and miss. is there anything i should try that's not on my list (that is to follow)?

my friends and i have a couple places we cannot stand to be away from:

backstreet cafe

van loc

mia bella

mark's

americas

la strada (ok, if the sundays are still as rowdy as they used to be, otherwise, i'm over it. haven't been there for awhile)

cafe japon

zimm's

mo mong

the teahouse on shepherd at randall's

with that said..........is there anywhere that we might try for a birthday dinner? we have two birthdays in october and usually spend a day or afternoon restaurant/bar/lounge hopping. the weather can be great and we like to schedule a couple of designated drivers and bounce around the inner loop area.

your suggestions are welcome.

Cafe Annie. I have never been disappointed by the food or service.

• 2 weeks later...
I love Spanish Flowers. It's Tex-mex and I know that's always greasy, but it's open 24 hours so that pushes it in to the 'spoon' category.

And the vegetable soup that comes with most meals is better than Mom used to make (similar though) and Mom was Slovack. Go figure.

Lankford Cafe in midtown. Try the cheese enchiladas or the cheeseburger. Both might be the best greasiest cheesiest meals you've ever had for the price.

Great burgers. Finding them when they are open can be a challenge though. Love going there for lunch on Saturday. Lucky Burger, while not as good as Langfords, has a really good burger also.

Edited by west20th

Not exactly a greasy spoon, but Dot Diner is good for breakfast.

My all-time favorite, however, is the scattered-smothered-covered-chunked-topped-diced-and-peppered hash browns at Waffle House (double order, of course).

Another choice for grease is South Philly Steaks on Scott Street. Their sandwiches are dripping with grease...every once in a while you need that.

Villa Arcos (on Navigation) breakfast tacos...the homemade tortillas on the super chorizo tacos are red with grease. Good way to start the day.

hey everyone...we all know about the usuals like house of pies, 59 diner, and so on...

i was curious if anyone had any suggestions for any other establishments to visit for the best "good bad food."

thanks!

Sevfiv,

Since you are a southeast guy now, not sure if you have been to any of these southeast "greasy" establishments:

Tel-wink, Franks, and Kelley's

Good for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. I like the Tel-wink's waffles.

BTW, 888 doesn't have a buffet unless it's a new thing. 888 is definately my favorite Chinese Rest.

Since you are a southeast guy now, not sure if you have been to any of these southeast "greasy" establishments:

Tel-wink, Franks, and Kelley's

Good for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. I like the Tel-wink's waffles.

okay, it's the internet, i can let it slide...hehe

as far as restaurants go, i have been going to tel-wink for several years now, i just recently made it to kelley's, but frank's intimidates me a little bit - i just need to find an "off" time to go so i can actually get in!

okay, it's the internet, i can let it slide...hehe

as far as restaurants go, i have been going to tel-wink for several years now, i just recently made it to kelley's, but frank's intimidates me a little bit - i just need to find an "off" time to go so i can actually get in!

OOPS! sorry I did know your gender from other posts but it's hard to keep track.

"Guy" is gender inspecific these days...right :)

Franks can get very crowded since it is so tiny. I don't know if it worth it to fight the crowd often but it's a decent place and you should at least try it.

Did you ever make it to George's?

Franks is such a hell hole (at least it looks that way).

Do normal people really eat there, or just your Telehphone Road ho's?

That place has looked the same for 20-30 years. Dumpy.

i always see a ton of cops there...and also at gabby's down the road

Hickory Hollow, is another good Greasy Spoon. I made the mistake of ordering a Kelley Burger, over at Kelley's on I-45. I am 6'4" 320lbs, and I couldn't finish the damn thing. I never get a togo box, although I should most times. I was very impressed. I usually get the chicken fried steak, yes, I live in Katy, but my family and I make special trips just to go eat there. :D To quote Hakeem Olajuwon, "It's Un-beat-able !"

Edited by TJones