Post Oak Plaza Shopping Center At 1703-1751 Post Oak Blvd.

My favorite Thai food in Houston is Thai Choice at Westheimer and Wilcrest, just outside the Beltway, SW corner. It's in a strip mall behind what used to be a Houston's (I forget the new name).

Try the Panang (Chicken, Tofu, or whatever). Their soups are wonderful. The Sweet Basil dish will also keep you coming back. Many of us oil patch people out on the west side are very loyal to this place.

At Kanawoman they say you should take the chef's recomendation.

He's like the Soup Nazi from what I hear.  He also closes a few months a year off and on.

I have heard nothing but good about this place.  See the related thread on Chowhound.

Its also byob. They have take out, but no take menu`s. They are often closed, but the food is great.

Guest danax
This is serious....the end of life as we know it.

danax, you live near there.  Is Khanamwon still open?

EDIT:  Now that I think about it, Coog is right.  The owner would close for a month or so to visit home or something.  I thought it was in the summer.  Did the place look empty or just closed?

I will have to cruise by manana after work. Man, we can't afford to lose the only Eastend restaurant that the rest of town knows about, beside Ninfa's and her lardy beans.

Hopefully, he's just over in Bangkok on vacation or something.

Two favorites:  Patu is on Rice in the Village.  Tiny but decent. 

The other is Telephone Thai.  This is not the real name, which is an unpronouncable Thai word.  To get there take Leeland out from downtown until it turns into Telephone, but still inside the loop.  It is a small hole-in-the wall on the left.  The decor is as basic as it gets, but the food is great!  Is like the Ninfa's on Navigation - an unpretentious place in an out-of-the-way neighborhood that develops a loyal following of people from all over the city.  Now you're in on the secret.  B)

I go there once in a while. It's not bad. :)

Boy, if the Telephone Thai guy is going to skip out of town for a month, you would think they would at least put a sign on the door.

I have been going to Thai Pepper since 1988 or so. One of my favorite places to eat and relax.

Last time I was at Thai Pepper they "enhanced" the tip a bit, ie the total that hit my Visa bill was more than the tab + tip on my receipt. Haven't been back.

Guest danax
This is serious....the end of life as we know it.

danax, you live near there.  Is Khanamwon still open?

No worries. The sign this afternoon said "Yes, we're open" with 3 cars parked there. By the way, the name is Kanomwan. It's on Telephone & Pease if anyone's interested. I admit to having never eaten there, yet, but another neighbor gave it his full recomendation

No worries. The sign this afternoon said "Yes, we're open" with 3 cars parked there. By the way, the name is Kanomwan. It's on Telephone & Pease if anyone's interested. I admit to having never eaten there, yet, but another neighbor gave it his full recomendation

yes it is!!! I highly recommend the pad prik king. VERY spicy and tasty. i think it is a must for thai.

i have never had an item i enjoyed at a thai restaurant. i've eaten at thai pepper/alabama, nit noi/rice village and nit noi/1960 west. i've had pad thai, noodles, shrimp, spring rolls. it never seems to have a certain something. is there something i'm missing about the thai experience. i really can't find anything fascinating about the food.

any suggestions thai food lovers?

I love Thai food and I still don't think there is a great Thai restaurant in Houston. I've been to all of the above mentioned restaurants and none blow me away.

My current favorite is Green Papaya in the village on the corner of Sullivan and Bleeker by Washington Square.

Dream

• 4 weeks later...
I love Thai food and I still don't think there is a great Thai restaurant in Houston. I've been to all of the above mentioned restaurants and none blow me away.

My current favorite is Green Papaya in the village on the corner of Sullivan and Bleeker by Washington Square.

Dream

Bangkok Palace on Westhiemer is very good. Ate there a few weeks back.

• 3 weeks later...

Look what they plan to build across the street. Its pretty ugly and cheap compared Boulevard Place, it will be called Post Oak Plaza.

http://www.levcor.com/Images/Projects/Texas/Houston/PostOak-Map-Large.jpghttp://www.levcor.com/Images/Projects/Texas/Houston/PostOak-Layout-02-Large.jpg

http://www.levcor.com/Images/Projects/Texas/Houston/PostOak-Layout-Large.jpghttp://www.levcor.com/Images/Projects/Texas/Houston/PostOak-Render-Large.jpg

Post Oak Blvd. @ San Felipe

Houston, Texas

Located In The Heart of

Uptown Houston

PROPERTY DATA

Size: 129,315 Sq.Ft.

Tenats: Pinto Ranch, Luby

• Like 1

As we all know, Houston is the eat out capital of the United States. But as we all also know, the city of Atlanta thinks that they always have it better than any other city in the South when they don't. From CNN just having to say "Atlanta" everytime they go to reporters in there studios, from the Weather Channel saying its a wonderfull day in Atlanta, from the rappers saying ATL, I am so sick of hearing about that city. They think they out shine everyone in the south when they don't. Once Rita is over I want Houston to step up as a leader and let the rest of the country know who you are. I want Houston to be the best in the south!

http://www.tripsmarter.com/atlanta/videosf...out_high320.htm

As we all know, Houston is the eat out capital of the United States. But as we all also know, the city of Atlanta thinks that they always have it better than any other city in the South when they don't. From CNN just having to say "Atlanta" everytime they go to reporters in there studios, from the Weather Channel saying its a wonderfull day in Atlanta, from the rappers saying ATL, I am so sick of hearing about that city. They think they out shine everyone in the south when they don't. Once Rita is over I want Houston to step up as a leader and let the rest of the country know who you are. I want Houston to be the best in the south!

http://www.tripsmarter.com/atlanta/videosf...out_high320.htm

H-Town is the baddest, best, and biggest city in the South. Atlanta, sit down.

• 2 weeks later...
I know Atlanta is nice, but so is Houston. I love Atlanta as well as Houston, but they really go overboard with the CNN and Weather channel.

They do that citykid09 because CNN and The Weather Channel are based in Atlanta. IMO, it's another PR move which I think is great. Atlanta is serious about putting itself on the map. Though times I think we can all agree they go a bit overboard, at least they are on the steam engine of trying to make that city the best it can be and if it means making sure the world is aware Atlanta is alive and kicking, I say good for them. We may think they are going overboard, but a lot of people are buying the hype. IMO Houston goes overboard in it's own mind of how great it is but the difference is the world is aware of it and isn't buying the little hype that is put out there.

There is a certain spirit that Atlanta has, that quite frankly, I am jealous of and feel Houston no longer has. I also want Houston to be the best in the south, but as much as I love my city, I don't think we have what it takes or the gutts to do it. That thing that attracted the creative minds to Houston is all but gone. Houston has become too safe. The city is becoming more and more conservative in every way, and I don't think that is a good thing for a city that once had a world wide reputation for being forward thinking, on the cutting edge, futuristic and having a almost unmatched ability of being able to do the impossible. Houston doesn't take chances anymore and because of that, I really don't see us being the best in the south for a looooooong time.

They do that citykid09 because CNN and The Weather Channel are based in Atlanta. IMO, it's another PR move which I think is great. Atlanta is serious about putting itself on the map. Though times I think we can all agree they go a bit overboard, at least they are on the steam engine of trying to make that city the best it can be and if it means making sure the world is aware Atlanta is alive and kicking, I say good for them. We may think they are going overboard, but a lot of people are buying the hype. IMO Houston goes overboard in it's own mind of how great it is but the difference is the world is aware of it and isn't buying the little hype that is put out there.

There is a certain spirit that Atlanta has, that quite frankly, I am jealous of and feel Houston no longer has. I also want Houston to be the best in the south, but as much as I love my city, I don't think we have what it takes or the gutts to do it. That thing that attracted the creative minds to Houston is all but gone. Houston has become too safe. The city is becoming more and more conservative in every way, and I don't think that is a good thing for a city that once had a world wide reputation for being forward thinking, on the cutting edge, futuristic and having a almost unmatched ability of being able to do the impossible. Houston doesn't take chances anymore and because of that, I really don't see us being the best in the south for a looooooong time.

I hate to agree, but i do.

i'm with you VelvetJ but can you elaborate on what you mean by Houston being afraid to take chances? I kind of see it but i would like more examples. One of the examples i'm aware of is the freeway system. This illustrates to me on how Houston isn't forward thinking due to this lack of mass rapid transportation. It seems like Houston can't move away from freeways. That's the only thing it knows to do because that's what worked in the past, thus Houston is safe with freeway expansion rather than implemeting newer transportation options. Why not a small subway or monorail? Do something a little different Houston.

I don't agree with you two. Houston just needs to step up and advertise there city a lot better than it does.

Atlanta's rappers mention there city in all of their songs.

Houston's rappers hardly ever mention there city in their songs.

Atlanta has CNN, CNN Headline News, All other CNN's, TBS, The Weather Channel, Cartoon Network, Turner Classic Movies and more.

Houston doesn't have any national or worldwide media based out of it.

Atlanta calls it self the Capital of the New South

Houston calls it self the Bayou City.

Atlanta has the busiest airport in the world.

Houston has one of the busiest but not the busiest.

Many of you may say that stuff doesn't matter, but people notice that when they recognize a city. Having those cable networks in Atlanta and all of those rappers that just have to say "Atlanta" make people expecally young black people look at that city as the place to be.

I don't think any of you should give up on Houston though. If you go to both cities (Atlanta and Houston), Houston feels more like a big city than Atlanta. Both Cities are great and I hope they both along with Dallas and Miami lead the south.

My wife and I went to Atlanta about 4 or 5 years ago. I really liked a lot of things about the city: the terrain (hilly and wooded), the MARTA made it easy to get around, nice nightlife, all the things you could want in a big city.

We did notice that they didn't like race-mixing there, though. We saw lots of blacks and lots of whites there, but never at the same table. My wife is black and I'm white, and we got stared at everywhere we went like we were on fire. It was a strange feeling, and one that we've never once felt here in Houston.

It's a tremendous city, but they've got a lot of work to do in that department, based on our experience.

My wife and I went to Atlanta about 4 or 5 years ago. I really liked a lot of things about the city: the terrain (hilly and wooded), the MARTA made it easy to get around, nice nightlife, all the things you could want in a big city.

We did notice that they didn't like race-mixing there, though. We saw lots of blacks and lots of whites there, but never at the same table. My wife is black and I'm white, and we got stared at everywhere we went like we were on fire. It was a strange feeling, and one that we've never once felt here in Houston.

It's a tremendous city, but they've got a lot of work to do in that department, based on our experience.

If it where not for the race experince, do you find it a better city than Houston?

This would only matter if Houston was in the South.

But Houston is not in the South, it's in Texas. And Texas is more Southwest than "Southern".

I agree. Houston and Dallas are really not true "Southern" cities. I really believe that Texas is more Southwest. You can look at Tyler and Jefferson and think Southern cities or towns.

I lived in Atlanta for a few months, really was an awsome place.