Post Oak Plaza Shopping Center At 1703-1751 Post Oak Blvd.

arghh...well my browser closed on me, so I will be more brief with this reply.

Sharpstown Mall-Crappy, Outdated, Dangerous, Dirty, etc.

Meyerland Mall-is no more...

Yeah, we got some nice malls here, like the galleria and memorial city, and im not trying to say shopping in houston sucks or anything, but its too bad we have all these blighted albatrosses in the city. I think Sharpstown could be saved like Memorial City if there is uber security, but for the rest i think they are toast.

I am not sure why Sharpstown would need "uber security" as you state. Have you ever been there? While it is not exactly a good mall in my opinion, unless you happen to be looking for sneakers (last time I walked through there seemed to be an abundance), I would not call it dangerous.

Also mentioning Meyerland is somewhat of a fallacy, especially when you later refer to the above listed malls as "blighted albatrosses". While it is true that as a mall it is nonexistent, its conversion has turned it into a very successful shopping area. On the whole though, I agree with your statement that Houston built too many malls.

I am not sure why Sharpstown would need "uber security" as you state. Have you ever been there? While it is not exactly a good mall in my opinion, unless you happen to be looking for sneakers (last time I walked through there seemed to be an abundance), I would not call it dangerous.

Yeah ive been there... then i saw on the news some punk shot another punk. Maybe im just overexxagerating, but still, its gonna take some large measures to convince people with more money to go there.

And yeah, maybe meyerland shouldnt count. I dont know when it became a shopping center, i dont even remember what it looked like. And the new center is very nice. Mainly i just listed all the malls that arent in good shape or where demo'ed and replaced to support my statement that this town built too many malls. BTW, ive never been to alameda, is it nice? i know squat about that part of town, so i figured id leave it off my list just to be on the safe side

Edited by zaphod

Sharpstown is the only mall to show that an indoor mall can not only survive, but thrive on independent, small businesses. The only people not shopping there are scared white people.

who you callin white?...hehe im just kidding...but we are all brothers... When you say small businesses, you mean those gypsy people who sell athletic shoes?

btw, i live in college station now, so i havent been there i while.

zaphod, I'm not trying to call you out, but BayouCityGirl's question further proves my point. West Oaks Mall is weak - weaker than Sharpstown. Everytime I go in there its dead. Even with the renovation & the Alamo Draft House, that place is dying. No one wants to label it as such though, because no one is scared to go there. If the same crowds that shop Sharpstown shopped West Oaks Mall, I have no doubt it would have then made your list.

This is another case where you've got to put yourself in the position of the developers of the 50's through 80's to understand why many of those malls exist. They were built in various places at the time that lots of money was found in close proximity to those places. Sharpstown Mall was built in Sharpstown's heyday, not with the expectation that it'd one day be perceived as a crime-ridden slum. The same was true of the original Gulfgate, Northwest, Meyerland, and others. Meanwhile, many malls that have retained a good position relative to Houston's elite (Galleria, Memorial City, Woodlands, Willowbrook, Katy Mills, and Baybrook) have not only done exceptionally well, but have been renovated and expanded.

The business environment of the period in question also provided for many generalized department stores with space-intensive layouts and large customer bases. Since then, those anchors have lost much of their draw and the customer bases have shifted to relatively poorer households rather than solid middle-class households. This is partly a legacy issue, but is also one relating to poor management/marketing. My theory on this is that indoor malls fell out of style not so much because of new urbanism, but because people with money started associating them and their traditional anchor stores with the lower/middle class. New urbanism just happened to be there at the moment that the 'falling out' occurred, so it was adopted.

My point is that Houston was not over-malled insofar as you bear in mind the market conditions at the time of construction. The problem now is that demographics have shifted against them, the traditional tenant base is struggling/failing, and the initial improvements to the property have greatly depreciated.

Btw, zaphod, Gulfgate may be "boring" to you, but it has done exceptionally well and is not likely to be "going out of business" anytime soon, as you suggest. Wulfe knew what he was doing--the Hispanic market may be relatively poor right now (although studies show that there is a lot of hidden wealth even at present), but it represents a growing base of wealth and will integrate into the White/Asian income distribution within the coming couple of generations. Many of them will then move to the suburbs, but many will also stay in place, reinvesting in new homes in the same community at about the same moment that new urbanists discover the development opportunities in the east and southeast parts of the Inner Loop.

Sharpstown is the only mall to show that an indoor mall can not only survive, but thrive on independent, small businesses. The only people not shopping there are scared white people.

Sharpstown is my favorite mall to shop at in Houston. I like the clothes, some of the people are shaddy, but I never feel scared. Its just like the Crenshaw Plaza in Los Angeles to me.

I also like to shop at Foley's at Memorial city.

Now adays there are more and more new places to shop for people who like a more urban style of clothing. There is a new store in Houston called Endzone Fashions http://www.endzonefashions.com/intro.htm (owned by Bobby Taylor, Pro Football player), I don't really dress that way, but I like some of the urban T-shirts.

Meyerland is a nicer outdoor mall I think. I mean I heard it used to be pretty horrible looking but its still nice to go shopping in and about.

To tell you the truth. A lot better then shopping West Oaks. Even the food out there is better eating!

I think W.Oaks shouldn't have gotten rid of Chik Fil A. The only good food court food there is Arby's.

Sharpstown I haven't been to in a while. I did go to Katy Mills. That mall is nice, I went to Memorial City not long ago too. It wasn't too bad either.

I think one day want to venture out to First Colony Mall.

I would agree with Niche's comments. The malls were fine at the time they were built, but economics and demographics change over time. Houston is not unique in that most cities have a number of under-utilized old malls. Malls in general have been slowly going out of fashion in the US as retail has migrated to big box and "lifestyle center" models. We'll continue to see more malls demolished or converted to other uses.

And yeah, maybe meyerland shouldnt count. I dont know when it became a shopping center, i dont even remember what it looked like.

i kinda liked meyerland before the change - of course at the end it was lame, but i liked the open-air courtyard on the "inside."

being younger, it seemed more of an old-folks-type place (but i think that's why i liked it too). there was a cafeteria (wyatt's?), oshman's and the palais royal and jc penney that are still in operation.

as far as sharpstown, i haven't been there in ages, but i do remeber an awful lot of shoes stores...and baby clothes...yay

Edited by sevfiv

• 3 weeks later...

Next to brasil's is a new book store/ art gallery with some interesting finds. I spoke to the owner's who also own brasil's and they based this shop off of some similar types of shops in NYC & Frisco.

They also carry some architecture books (but it's still no brazos);

I recently purchased this qee (designed by tim biskup) there:

000-OX-OP-WreckerPanda-165949.jpg

check it out if your in the area

Do they have a big selection of toys? Is it anything like KidRobot?

yes they have kidrobots!

Glad to see an addition to the area.

Forgive my ignorance - what's a qee?

it's a new fade, art toys, like the one i posted a pic of above

000-OX-OP-StealthBomber-163538.jpg

qees

300_IMG_3601.jpg

kaws

dunny's

9d_1.JPG

bearbricks

jjmrwaverley_large.jpg

jjrustydworkin_large.jpg

james jarvis

yeah i guess it's a collector thing

i used to collect comics, records, art, renderings, you name it

DOMY! DOMY! DOMY!

This store rules!!! I picked up some little toys and checked out all the cool books! They even have FOUND magazine! I hadn't seen that around these parts!

Very cool store! I highly recommend it if you like really cool, hip art and toys!

I believe the people who own Brasil also own Raye, which is a women's clothing store right next to Brasil on Dunlavy. Looks like they're building their own little bohemian strip center -- which I think is great. Sure beats Starbucks and Borders.

they used to have free movie nights on the back patio and two

twin peaks episodes every tuesday. it was awesome.

• 5 months later...
I went to the Galleria yesterday, and everyone was dressed so well. I mean I thought I was in New York or something. All the women looked like models. they all had class and had on the best looking clothes. And they call Houston one of the fattest cities in America, I don't think so. I think many cities are envy of Houston in many ways.

First we went to drove by Highland Village just because I wanted to so my family. They were amazed, they never knew that area of Houston existed. They saw all of the palm trees with christmas lights rapped around them and the stores that had bowes on them made to look like gifts.

Uptown Houston looked like a very large city itself. The parking garage near the Cheese Cake Factory was pretty full so we parked above ground. Looking around the view is amazing! Lots of people driving Hummers, Jaguars, mercades, etc. Last time I went to the Galleria I saw a Maybach.

maybach03.jpg

This ways also the coldest I have ever seen Houston!

We got there at 7:00 pm and left the Galleria at 10:00pm.

It was dark and cold but nice!

Was bored and found this GEM of a posting. Thought everyone would enjoy reading it again! They love me, THEY REALLY LOVE ME!!!!!

Citykid, you're right, the Galleria area is all about high class!

If your from Mexico City

Lol, Midtowner!

Uptown/Galleria is a beautiful place, but it is best appreciated if one lives inside the loop and doesn't have to deal with the horrible traffic on 610.

I was driving around in the area a few years ago in an expensive black car (not mine) listening to Moby's version of the James Bond theme on a chilly overcast evening. It was kind of eerie.

Lol, Midtowner!

Uptown/Galleria is a beautiful place, but it is best appreciated if one lives inside the loop and doesn't have to deal with the horrible traffic on 610.

I was driving around in the area a few years ago in an expensive black car (not mine) listening to Moby's version of the James Bond theme on a chilly overcast evening. It was kind of eerie.

Try that while listening to Moby's "God moving over the face of the water" Even creepier

What if they were to make Westheimer a double decker street?

One part would be halfway underground, and another would be halfway above ground....

Was there a rumor that they were spose to widen Westheimer to a ten-lane street? :o Back on topic: :lol: at some y'all saying Galleria ain't that classy in a NY or SF kinda way. I like it that way; the Galleria has that Fifth Avenue or Union Square kinda feeling to it. I wush the Galleria/Uptown district traded spots with DT any day.

A couple of weeks ago, a New Yorker was down at our big Houston headquarters for training. I sent her to The Galleria to shop before she took her rich ass off to W. Palm Beach, Fla. I received an email from her on the Monday after training and she stated that "You were right. It is expensive there. But, it is too big. I couldn't find a nail salon." :lol:

• 11 months later...

u1wg3.jpg

We have known about this since July, but it was in the BLVD Place thread. With the first rendering, I decided to start it's own thread.

POST OAK PLAZA TO GET A MAKEOVER

Post Oak Plaza, the 130,000 square-foot shopping center located at Post Oak Boulevard and San Felipe, will soon undergo an extensive makeover. Improvements will include a new fa

Edited by Pumapayam
  • Like 1

The parking in this center is already terrible. There simply aren't enough spaces despite the sea of surface parking for the current businesses. Adding a Borders to the mix certainly wont help.

Seems as if they are just putting some lipstick on a dated strip center. At the very least, they needed to spend the $$$ to add a garage. Try heading there at noon. It's a MESS.