Buffalo Bayou Master Plan

houstonfella

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thank you for passing this along. It provides some great insight into what the Buffalo Bayou conservancy is trying to accomplish. I really appreciate the fact that they are trying to open the bayou up to the current residents of the area, and also to add more housing opportunities for the lower and middle class population. Anne Olson has continued to lead this Conservancy and the reclamation of Buffalo Bayou in such a positive manner. She deserves some kind of award. I only hope that they continue to move forward as rapidly as possible. I want to be able to see it come to fruition.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I think this is an apt place for this to go. I noticed from the Chartres/i10 ramp the other day that it appeared as though the BB East trail from downtown was complete, but I remembered there is a solid iron gate at Clayton Homes that blocks it. Naturally, I went biking along the BB East trail the other day to see and it is very clearly finished, but still impassable around Clayton homes. The gate is still up, but you can see the demo equipment in the distance.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Kind of surreal to think the setting of so many memories for so many people can be erased just like that. I'm not railing against this at all it just makes me a little melancholy to think that something so essential and permanent as where you live for so many people for years and years can be turned into a patch of dirt that is indistinguishable from any other. 

• Like 8

59 minutes ago, jmitch94 said:

Kind of surreal to think the setting of so many memories for so many people can be erased just like that. I'm not railing against this at all it just makes me a little melancholy to think that something so essential and permanent as where you live for so many people for years and years can be turned into a patch of dirt that is indistinguishable from any other. 

....It really is

• Like 1

Has anyone heard an exact date as to when Eastern Glades will be opened up? I think i originally heard or saw Spring 2020...to me it looks just about if not already complete, the fence just needs to be taken down...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jmitch94 said:

If it happened to AstroWorld, it can happen anywhere. 😭

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, gene said:

Has anyone heard an exact date as to when Eastern Glades will be opened up? I think i originally heard or saw Spring 2020...to me it looks just about if not already complete, the fence just needs to be taken down...

I have not. Been monitoring it closely and you're right. It looks to just be fencing left. Website still says 2020.

• Like 2

On 6/16/2020 at 5:05 PM, HoustonMidtown said:

Clayton Homes demo is complete

I presume this was the part of Clayton Homes that was damaged by the flooding?  (When I first saw your post, I thought you were saying that all of Clayton Homes had been demolished, but that is clearly not the case.)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, mls1202 said:

Forgive me for living under a rock, but I'm assuming the demolition of Clayton homes is to allow for the realignment of 59?  It's not necessarily going to host other residential or commercial (at least in the near term)?

That was the assumption in my mind as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mls1202 said:

Forgive me for living under a rock, but I'm assuming the demolition of Clayton homes is to allow for the realignment of 59?  It's not necessarily going to host other residential or commercial (at least in the near term)?

17 minutes ago, CaptainJilliams said:

That was the assumption in my mind as well.

The parts that were demo'd were due to flooding damage. If the 59 realignment happens, all of Clayton Homes will be removed, so it's doubtful anything is built in the near term. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gene said:

anyone hear any date yet on the opening of Eastern Glades? i am just excited to have something like a Discovery Green area closer to me. Also with this opening i wonder if they will close the picnic loop temporarily to either make that nicer or make some other use for it? it definitely needs some attention and seating/table upgrades. 

https://www.memorialparkconservancy.org/discover/master-plan/eastern-glades/

eastern1.jpg

I think we have a thread for memorial park...

You are correct, the memorial park picnic loop needs some attention. It isn't really attractive, nor is it modern in its functionality. I think there can be some major improvements.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The warehouse at 1119 Commerce St. downtown has a construction fence set up around it. Looks like the Harris County Flood Control District is finally ready to move forward with demolition.

https://www.hcfcd.org/Find-Your-Watershed/Buffalo-Bayou/F-82-1119-Commerce-Street

https://imgur.com/gallery/eQ9YOaN

• Like 5