Buffalo Bayou Master Plan

houstonfella

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmcusercontent.com

The USACE Buffalo Bayou & Tributaries Resiliency Study Interim Report Has Been Released 

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE), Galveston District, has released an Interim Feasibility Report for the Buffalo Bayou and Tributaries Resiliency Study to identify actions that can be taken to reduce flooding. Since Buffalo Bayou is an essential community asset that cuts through the heart of Houston and has a major impact on parks, it is imperative that you get involved in the process so that the best outcome can result.

To access the report, please click here

Here Is How You Can Help:

1. Please follow the instructions linked here to register and make plans to attend one of the information sessions to learn more:
       - Thursday, October 22nd from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
       - Monday, October 26th from 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM

2. Please send comments (no later than November 2, 2020) to BBTRS@usace.army.mil or by mail to: 
USACE, Galveston District, ATTN: BBTRS
P.O. Box 1229
Galveston, TX, 77553

3. Please ask the USACE to extend the public comment period to December 31, 2020.

4. Please ask the USACE to release all models and data that USACE used or relied on to analyze the different alternatives and form the conclusions in the Interim Report.    

Thank you for your willingness to engage on an issue that is important to Houston Parks Board and to our broader community!
  • Like 7

15 hours ago, hindesky said:
mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmcusercontent.com

The USACE Buffalo Bayou & Tributaries Resiliency Study Interim Report Has Been Released 

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE), Galveston District, has released an Interim Feasibility Report for the Buffalo Bayou and Tributaries Resiliency Study to identify actions that can be taken to reduce flooding. Since Buffalo Bayou is an essential community asset that cuts through the heart of Houston and has a major impact on parks, it is imperative that you get involved in the process so that the best outcome can result.

To access the report, please click here

Here Is How You Can Help:

1. Please follow the instructions linked here to register and make plans to attend one of the information sessions to learn more:
       - Thursday, October 22nd from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
       - Monday, October 26th from 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM

2. Please send comments (no later than November 2, 2020) to BBTRS@usace.army.mil or by mail to: 
USACE, Galveston District, ATTN: BBTRS
P.O. Box 1229
Galveston, TX, 77553

3. Please ask the USACE to extend the public comment period to December 31, 2020.

4. Please ask the USACE to release all models and data that USACE used or relied on to analyze the different alternatives and form the conclusions in the Interim Report.    

Thank you for your willingness to engage on an issue that is important to Houston Parks Board and to our broader community!

Welp here we go. Is the canal finally happening?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Welp here we go. Is the canal finally happening?

North Canal through Downtown Houston bypass was dropped from consideration due to the City of Houston pursuing this on their own. Cost estimates for diversions ranged from $243,000,000 to $328,000,000.

From page 113. Ummm... wat?!? Since when does the city have a quarter billion to do this when the federal government would pay?

It's listed in the alternative 6 which is being listed as the "most cost effective structural plan" so it does sound like it's going to happen. 

I  may be reading this wrong, but the Alternative 8 Combo Plan which builds a cypress creek dam & reservoir and does the 49 miles of Buffalo Bayou improvements for $5 to $7 billion is the best bang for the buck?

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, wilcal said:

From page 113. Ummm... wat?!? Since when does the city have a quarter billion to do this when the federal government would pay?

Just because the City is handling the project doesn't mean the federal government is not paying for it.   I'm pretty sure the City is using federal funds for the North Canal project.

• Like 5

We are pleased to announce the opening of Carmen Herrera's Estructuras Monumentales in Buffalo Bayou Park! This spectacular outdoor exhibition by one of the world's most important living artists features four newly-created sculptures that were first envisioned nearly five decades ago. Estructuras Monumentales is the 105-year-old Herrera's first public art exhibition in Houston and only the second time that these large scale works have been presented globally.

Organized in partnership with the New York City-based non-profit Public Art FundEstructuras Monumentales was first presented at Manhattan’s City Hall Park in 2019. This major survey exhibition offers Houston audiences a powerful and reflective experience that celebrates the full breadth of Herrera’s work in three dimensions. Concurrent with this exhibition is a showing of Herrera’s works at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston.

Now through April 23, 2021, you can visit these vibrant, larger-than-life Estructuras at the Fondren Foundation Meadow in Buffalo Bayou Park (Allen Parkway a
t Gillette Street) along with the Park's permanent sculpture, Henry Moore's Spindle. The five sculptures together are reflective of our Artful Anniversary, the fifth anniversary of Buffalo Bayou Park!

3zfh1gV.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Going back through images, you can really see how good the Buffalo Bayou features the buildings, even in very narrow areas near downtown. So it would be even more impressive if the city continues these types of eastward development projects, where the waterways are wider (to handle huge ships, and lose the bank spillage issues).

In a way, it sort of reminds me of the River Spree in Berlin, Germany. You look at that cityscape, and can follow the entire length of the developments from the very narrow ends of the river to the very wide ends.

Edited by AnTonY
  • Like 1

So BBP doesn't like the Corps plan, but they don't say anything about what a better idea would look like.  Do they have an alternative??

Is there any explanation of how it is supposed to work to widen and deepen the channel to speed the outflow, but only do so to approximately Studemont, if I understand correctly?  Won't that create/add to huge flooding events in the Studemont-Shepherd area?

Part of the Corps plan relies on other work by the County / City which is already funded mainly the North Canal Bypass and the demo of derelict buildings along the bayou downtown.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tangledwoods said:

So BBP doesn't like the Corps plan, but they don't say anything about what a better idea would look like.  Do they have an alternative??

I think the alternative would be to keep Houston's most prominent scenic resource intact and accept the current frequency of flooding with some possible alternative improvements. They knew back in the 60's when they decided not to channel and pave the bayou that there was a tradeoff involved. Why these massive expenditure, horrendously ugly, good ol' boy plans keep getting proposed is a relevant question.

buffalo-bayou-improvement.png

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

I think the alternative would be to keep Houston's most prominent scenic resource intact and accept the current frequency of flooding with some possible alternative improvements. They knew back in the 60's when they decided not to channel and pave the bayou that there was a tradeoff involved. Why these massive expenditure, horrendously ugly, good ol' boy plans keep getting proposed is a relevant question.

buffalo-bayou-improvement.png

AMEN! I couldn't agree more. 

And, why is it that we humans always think that we are so much smarter than Mother Nature by relentlessly and arrogantly trying to "improve on nature's process" of dispersing flooding waters by cementing over and channeling waterways, when the natural soil we have and the natural vegetation in the yes, natural flood plains does a much better job in the long run? 

We always seem to fail miserably (everywhere in the World) when we build in say well established and well known flood zones.  I'm hoping that mitigating and reversing this sort of bad way of thinking, man made problem is high on the list of things to be done in the future to lessen flooding around this gigantic, extremely populated Metropolis, that continues to grow by leaps and bounds in both infrastructure and population.  All for very good and very positive reasons.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ArtNsf said:

AMEN! I couldn't agree more. 

And, why is it that we humans always think that we are so much smarter than Mother Nature by relentlessly and arrogantly trying to "improve on nature's process" of dispersing flooding waters by cementing over and channeling waterways, when the natural soil we have and the natural vegetation in the yes, natural flood plains does a much better job in the long run? 

We always seem to fail miserably (everywhere in the World) when we build in say well established and well known flood zones.  I'm hoping that mitigating and reversing this sort of bad way of thinking, man made problem is high on the list of things to be done in the future to lessen flooding around this gigantic, extremely populated Metropolis, that continues to grow by leaps and bounds in both infrastructure and population.  All for very good and very positive reasons.

Well, I wouldn't go that far. The Netherlands is a miracle of engineering, and most cities have benefitted from swamp drainage and flood mitigation. Downtown Houston used to flood much worse before they built the reservoirs, Galveston would be gone by now if not for the seawall, Austin used to regularly see downtown flood up to the level of 7th Street before they built a bunch of dams along the Colorado, downtown Dallas had massive flooding before they rerouted the Trinity River, San Antonio was able to build a riverwalk by bypassing that section of the river, etc., etc.

But yes, there have been a lot of ugly and harmful projects.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, H-Town Man said:

Well, I wouldn't go that far. The Netherlands is a miracle of engineering, and most cities have benefitted from swamp drainage and flood mitigation. Downtown Houston used to flood much worse before they built the reservoirs, Galveston would be gone by now if not for the seawall, Austin used to regularly see downtown flood up to the level of 7th Street before they built a bunch of dams along the Colorado, downtown Dallas had massive flooding before they rerouted the Trinity River, San Antonio was able to build a riverwalk by bypassing that section of the river, etc., etc.

But yes, there have been a lot of ugly and harmful projects.

I understand what you are saying.  However, what I didn't make clear, is that what I'm saying applies (from my perspective since the "damage" is already done worldwide, with yes, many successes, and also many failures) to FUTURE city planning world wide, especially given the fact that human population is continuing to rise exponentially, thus further reducing available, sustainable, livable land masses that future human populations might want to live on.  Yes, "they" are making more land, naturally and man made, but it is minuscule in comparison to how our present society is depleting resources, ground water and healthy lands.  For me, it all comes down to "let's please not foul our own nests any more than we already have" since this is our only home and it doesn't appear we'll be moving to another planet to use and abuse anytime soon.

I do applaud some of the wonderful achievements of the Army Corp of Engineers over the decades, here in Houston and elsewhere, and I'm not saying to throw the baby out with the bathwater.  But, obviously, what they want to do to the bayou all the way up to Studemont, is going to cause big problems in our extremely beautiful new BBP and all it has to offer and the beautiful slow meandering natural river known as Buffalo Bayou.  So, it's just a single issue I'm taking up with them on and not an over all damnation of the USACE in any way.  Sorry if i failed to make that clear. 

• Like 2