Buffalo Bayou Master Plan

houstonfella

6 hours ago, EastEndHeritage said:

Good article but it's a bit of a bummer that this is on a 20-year timeline. The original BB master plan that came out in 2003 was supposed to be a 20-year timeline and we basically just have the western portion done 16 years later. But this is exciting nonetheless, and yes, this is obviously something of huge magnitude which can't be expected to conform to a rigid timeline, etc., etc.

Also mentioned in article - EastRiver expected to break ground in 1Q 2020 per Jonathan Brinsden of Midway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gene said:

I am scared of that rendering...

Why in the world is that lady running TOWARDS the attacking birds killing those innocent park goers on the mountain!!!??? I mean i am definitely proud of her bravery but with all that bare skin, those birds are sure to peck her to death! I would at least wear a well covering cape or something 😮

In fairness, there are three distressed people either running or walking quickly away from the incipient interspecies carnage - and several more behind them whose speed I can't judge

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Good article but it's a bit of a bummer that this is on a 20-year timeline. The original BB master plan that came out in 2003 was supposed to be a 20-year timeline and we basically just have the western portion done 16 years later. But this is exciting nonetheless, and yes, this is obviously something of huge magnitude which can't be expected to conform to a rigid timeline, etc., etc.

Also mentioned in article - EastRiver expected to break ground in 1Q 2020 per Jonathan Brinsden of Midway.

those timelines are likely more to do with funding though, I'd guess

• Like 1

On 10/25/2019 at 10:33 AM, Triton said:

This is a really bizarre rendering to me

An 'adventure park' for extreme sports is one of the amenities proposed within the Industrial District of the Buffalo Bayou East master plan.

This could be a liability but I love the concept of incorporating workout areas like a large hill with an industrial look to this... The adult jungle gym is a bit much but properly done, this would be great for workouts and the like. 

• Like 1

Something, I don't see being mentioned more is the complete revamping of Navigation. 

This would be one of the most transformative changes to a Houston street for as long as I could remember. 

closing 2 west bound lanes to create a greenway is something that I would never imagined Houston doing. 

This is a great idea and I hope it comes to fruition. 

1 minute ago, Mr.Clean19 said:

This could be a liability but I love the concept of incorporating workout areas like a large hill with an industrial look to this... The adult jungle gym is a bit much but properly done, this would be great for workouts and the like. 

This park is theoretically behind a paywall.

This is how something like this can exist. 

I'd imagine it's nothing too incredibly expensive and memberships would be offered, but you couldn't have any of this completely public without exposing yourself to lawsuits. 

• Like 1

Really sounds interesting. 

Quote from the Summary:

Along Navigation Boulevard, the former

westbound lanes become an on-street greenway,

wide enough to be a transportation path and a

linear park. At the Turkey Bend site, this space

can be used for neighborhood festivals and

events. The former eastbound lanes now handle

traffic in both directions. With active industrial

sites still lining Buffalo Bayou’s eastern stretches,

the Navigation Greenway provides an alternative

route for accessing destinations towards the Port

of Houston Turning Basin.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, I'm Not a Robot said:

Something, I don't see being mentioned more is the complete revamping of Navigation. 

This would be one of the most transformative changes to a Houston street for as long as I could remember. 

closing 2 west bound lanes to create a greenway is something that I would never imagined Houston doing. 

This is a great idea and I hope it comes to fruition. 

This park is theoretically behind a paywall.

This is how something like this can exist. 

I'd imagine it's nothing too incredibly expensive and memberships would be offered, but you couldn't have any of this completely public without exposing yourself to lawsuits. 

Is this really materially different from skateboard parks that we currently have in Buffalo Bayou Park and elsewhere in the city, with regard to risk?  We don't require memberships  or admission fees to use them (and I'm not sure where the idea came from that this park would be "behind a paywall").

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Is this really materially different from skateboard parks that we currently have in Buffalo Bayou Park and elsewhere in the city, with regard to risk?  We don't require memberships  or admission fees to use them (and I'm not sure where the idea came from that this park would be "behind a paywall").

Not particularly but the city is exposed to risks with Joe Jamal Skate Park due to maintenance. The act of skateboarding is a skill and this is fairly common knowledge. The city doesn't provide the skateboard, just creates an area where the activity can be performed. The maintenance on a skate park is much lower than the maintenance on something like a sand dune. 

I'm not sure why it couldn't be public but it makes sense to make it cost. It creates a more controlled environment and prevents children from getting hurt running up that hill which is clearly a factor.  Additionally it generates income to help fund the parks. 

If you read on the link provided you will see this paragraph. Please see the bolded section. I deduced that the ticket office was indicative of a paywall and I presume it's for liability purposes. 

A former industrial site owned by Buffalo Bayou Partnership becomes an adventure and extreme sports park that includes activities attracting users from nearby neighborhoods and the region. • A park weaves adventure and extreme sports into the naturalized landscape. • The park includes a series of training hills (1) inspired by the mounds of sand and gravel found in nearby industrial sites, as well as obstacle and ropes courses (2). • Though most of the industrial structures no longer exist, two remaining concrete buildings become a ticket office and picnic pavilion (3, 4)

Edited by I'm Not a Robot
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, cspwal said:

The skate park is free to use, but you do have to sign something before hand - not sure if it's a waiver, or just so they know who to call

Are you sure that is not just for the classes?  I didn't think anything was required to just use the park (other than wearing a helmet).

• Like 1

A couple thoughts.

The original Buffalo Bayou Master Plan made a big deal of the Commerce Street Promenade, which involved acquiring most or all of the land north of Commerce Street downtown (from Fannin to Elysian), making it a park, and landscaping Commerce Street. The plan envisioned residential towers on the south side of Commerce overlooking the park. This whole concept seems to be relinquished and it is hard to tell from the renderings if any part of those parking lots will become parkland (it looks like a portion of them might).

The Central Hub area is exciting. Most of the land in that area is still privately owned, but I guess BBP is in talks with the owners to acquire it? It certainly looks like they have their sights set on the Proler site, which I imagine will require a lot of remediation.

The Swimming Hole is a neat idea. How do they plan to keep reptiles out? They get snakes and alligators in the fountains downtown, can't imagine how this will be.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

A couple thoughts.

The original Buffalo Bayou Master Plan made a big deal of the Commerce Street Promenade, which involved acquiring most or all of the land north of Commerce Street downtown (from Fannin to Elysian), making it a park, and landscaping Commerce Street. The plan envisioned residential towers on the south side of Commerce overlooking the park. This whole concept seems to be relinquished and it is hard to tell from the renderings if any part of those parking lots will become parkland (it looks like a portion of them might).

I believe the City, BBP, Harris County Flood Control District and Harris County now own essentially all of this land. I believe 1119 Commerce is slated for demolition soon for flood control projects.  I think that will leave only the two Harris County buildings (the functions of one of which recently moved across the Bayou).  So maybe the Commerce Street plan (or at least the parkland concept), still has life.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

I believe the City, BBP, Harris County Flood Control District and Harris County now own essentially all of this land. I believe 1119 Commerce is slated for demolition soon for flood control projects.  I think that will leave only the two Harris County buildings (the functions of one of which recently moved across the Bayou).  So maybe the Commerce Street plan (or at least the parkland concept), still has life.

There is a wedge-shaped parcel fronting Commerce and Elysian (IIRC) that is still in private hands. City ownership is a good sign, county ownership less so. It occurred to me that they might consider this "downtown" and not "East," and hence not covered by this plan.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2019 at 3:50 PM, Houston19514 said:

I was hoping they could somehow incorporate 1119 Commerce into the design, it's a cool old building they way if backs right up to the Bayou. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sunstar said:

I was hoping they could somehow incorporate 1119 Commerce into the design, it's a cool old building they way if backs right up to the Bayou. 

I'm sorry they can't save this building,  but this is one of the buildings I've suggested needed to be removed due to the fact it slowed the flow of water through the bottleneck the building created in Buffalo Bayou, by being built down into the waters edge. This and any other buildings that also curtail the flow should be removed. I'm a very big fan of repurposing old buildings but when they are causing serious flooding in the downtown district and theater district get rid of them.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, bobruss said:

I'm sorry they can't save this building,  but this is one of the buildings I've suggested needed to be removed due to the fact it slowed the flow of water through the bottleneck the building created in Buffalo Bayou, by being built down into the waters edge. This and any other buildings that also curtail the flow should be removed. I'm a very big fan of re purposing old buildings but when they are causing serious flooding in the downtown district and theater district get rid of them.

If it's contributing to flooding downtown then I agree it needs to be removed. The building had some unique character to it, but I also think turning that whole section along the Bayou from Fannin to Elysian into green space would be quite nice. I'm guessing they were never able to purchase the Centerpoint property on McKee since I don't see it incorporated into their plan. 

• Like 2

On 10/30/2019 at 5:36 PM, bobruss said:

I'm sorry they can't save this building,  but this is one of the buildings I've suggested needed to be removed due to the fact it slowed the flow of water through the bottleneck the building created in Buffalo Bayou, by being built down into the waters edge. This and any other buildings that also curtail the flow should be removed. I'm a very big fan of repurposing old buildings but when they are causing serious flooding in the downtown district and theater district get rid of them.

Agreed. Would be a shame, but necessary. They should probably eliminate the two Harris County buildings along the Bayou as well and relocate that to the other side of the bayou and build newer and better facilities. This way all of Commerce St opens up and can have a better relationship to the Bayou.

• Like 2

Houston residents celebrate Buffalo Bayou Partnership's plans for the east side

"It’s good to see that plans will connect the Eastside neighborhoods. We live in the Denver Harbor area and spend a lot of time in the Near Northside. We are excited all Eastside neighborhoods, including Fifth Ward, will be easily accessible," said Kim Murray, a Denver Harbor resident. "These plans allow Eastside to flourish and creates opportunities for people around the city to notice the rich history these neighborhoods offer. We also know it’s going to be good for local businesses, especially the great taco trucks in the area."

• Like 5