Buffalo Bayou Master Plan

houstonfella

• 2 months later...
On 12/31/2017 at 9:05 AM, Avossos said:

I saw 2 beavers last night in my walk!! They were around Montrose!

I love that we have them but we need these trees to Forrest up the greenway so hold banks / prevent erosion / settle in... in a few years a tree every so often won’t phase us

Believe it or not, in natural environments, beavers end up doing more good than harm.

But then, buffalo bayou isn't a natural environment. 

biodiversity is cool and the gang, but maybe some forestry service can help relocate them to a more appropriate surrounding.

• Like 2

Hopefully they get it right this second time. That original design was was pretty bad. The constant mud bog in the large dog area was brutal.

I hope they do a better management job regarding graas as well. Should have a section of the large dog area fenced off at all times for grass growth/recovery with it moving around every few weeks. The place was a giant mud pit. 

Edited by Visitor
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.buffalobayourc.org/

Imagine this state of the art boathouse along the banks of Houston's Buffalo Bayou. From our proposed facility, Houstonians will enjoy access to rowing, kayaking or canoeing on Buffalo Bayou via Buffalo Bayou Rowing Center.

Buffalo Bayou Rowing Center is the 501(c)(3) non-profit bringing Olympic-style rowing to middle and high school youth of downtown Houston. We are committed to the development of tomorrow's leaders through Olympic-style rowing with future plans of a community boathouse with event and meeting space. We hope you will help share and help our vision for Houston's youth come to life.

boathouse2-WEbeea304480.jpg

On 6/18/2018 at 10:26 AM, Houston19514 said:

Good article in the Dallas Morning News about Buffalo Bayou Park, "To Build a Trinity Park, Dallas Should Learn From Houston's Buffalo Bayou".

https://www.dallasnews.com/arts/architecture/2018/06/18/build-trinity-park-dallas-learn-houstons-buffalo-bayou

While they envy our waterway park, we can envy their newspaper architecture critic. Wish the Chronicle would hire one.

8 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

I liked this person's take:

I apologize. I'm picking on you and I shouldn't be. I'm just frustrated. I just got through helping design a park like this that will have a similar flooding problem. It hasn't been built yet, but I'm pretty sure that today there's probably at least a foot of water on the property where it will be located. I'm a drainage engineer, so when we get projects like that it's my job to figure out how to keep the park from becoming a giant mudhole after it's built. And sometimes there's just no way to do it.

The reason we end up with things like this is because people ask for them. Mrs. Jones decides she needs a place to let her weimaraner run free and convinces a bunch of her neighbors that they do too. Then they bug the crap out of their favorite elected official until that person responds. Since said official wants to get re-elected they bug their favorite parks department until the park director responds. Since the parks director wants to keep his job he initiates a project and the parks agency starts looking for property. Since the City or the County (whichever one) is trying to be fiscally responsible, they always pursue land that is very cheap or that can be donated. This land is usually not prime real estate; read: it floods so bad that it can't be developed.

Once the project is initiated, a consultant is hired to come up with a plan for the park. For parks, this is usually a landscape architect. This is where your mulch comes from. Once the landscape architect has a layout, he comes to a guy like me and asks me to come up with a way to keep it from flooding. And I laugh hysterically.

Thing is, we live in a major metropolitan city that receives over 40 inches of rain per year; sometimes all at once. Lots inside the loop cost about a million bucks. So, if you want a place to let your dog run without a leash, you can probably expect that place to be property that gets flooded during a major storm event. And it will likely need to be fixed up after a flood; or maybe even rebuilt after the storm of the century. If you think that's a waste of taxpayer money, then maybe you should quit asking your elected officials for stuff.

7 hours ago, Visitor said:

Houston amazes me, half day of rain and the city is under water. 

Great sensationalism! Are you a journalist? 

The city wasn't underwater. There were some streets and some parks, within the bayou floodway, that flooded. Both are designed to flood. 

FYI:
Violent rain is defined by a precipitation rate that is > 50 mm (2.0 in) per hour. Some areas got close to 8" within a 3-4 hour period.  Several places got around 4" in an hour. 

So have we established a metric for what amount of rainfall equals a flooded park and trails? How often do these occur? What is our expense to repair these damages? At this rate, all of the East End project money will be spent providing maintenance to the twice a year flooded west side. 

It did what it was designed to do. I am glad there are parks and trails in the flood area so it looks nice the vast majority of the time it isn't flooded. The bayou could be a overgrown, trashy wasteland it once was that floods or it could be great parks, trails, and dog parks that are highly enjoyable that also flood.

This is why I don't frequent reddit anymore. Hard to gauge who is who and what opinions really matter. Just a bunch of complainers who probably don't even use the park anyway or would do nothing to improve the city in anyway. People need to understand that these flood events are going to happen more regularly. As annoying as it might be it will mean we have design a better city to be more resilient to flooding not flood resistant (which is almost impossible). At the same time though just because you know water is going to go in an area doesn't mean its not worth investment. Would be nice if more people would just look more than 2 feet in front of them.

I agree with Luminare and thatguysly. Buffalo Bayou will flood. It has since Houston existed ( see  flood of 1935). Steps can be taken to ameliorate flooding but it cannot be 100% stopped. Nevertheless Buffalo Bayou has been vastly improved in the last 20 years. It used to be quite nasty.

11 hours ago, thatguysly said:

It did what it was designed to do. I am glad there are parks and trails in the flood area so it looks nice the vast majority of the time it isn't flooded. The bayou could be a overgrown, trashy wasteland it once was that floods or it could be great parks, trails, and dog parks that are highly enjoyable that also flood.

11 hours ago, Twinsanity02 said:

The dog park is built in a flood plain. Things built in flood plains will flood. It rains a lot in Houston. The dog park will flood. No news here.

Yup, seems like there's a dog park where there shouldn't be one. 

Edited by kdog08

23 hours ago, AREJAY said:

Great sensationalism! Are you a journalist? 

The city wasn't underwater. There were some streets and some parks, within the bayou floodway, that flooded. Both are designed to flood. 

FYI:
Violent rain is defined by a precipitation rate that is > 50 mm (2.0 in) per hour. Some areas got close to 8" within a 3-4 hour period.  Several places got around 4" in an hour. 

You really think the rate of flooding in this city is acceptable? (and I'm not talking about the dog park built 50' from the bayou to be specific).

Rain is not new to me nor is torrential rain. Flooding like Houston does, and the fact streets are "designed to flood" is unusual.

Other places I have lived experience more annual rain than Houston and experience the same heavy rain and they don't flood at nearly the rate of Houston. It's not common place to have highways shutdown and underpasses impassable. 

I'm not hear to debate, you have your opinion and I have mine. There are things I very much like about Houston, city planning is not one of them. 

Edited by Visitor

8 hours ago, samagon said:

Let's be fair, that specific part of Houston received 8" in a few hours.

that's about 1/6th of the yearly total in a few hours.

Agreed. I expect the bayou to Crest its banks. I was more referring to the on ramps of highways, entire streets, etc. The dog park is just in a very unfortunate place. 

6 hours ago, Visitor said:

You really think the rate of flooding in this city is acceptable? (and I'm not talking about the dog park built 50'' from the bayou to be specific).

Rain is not new to me nor is torrential rain. Flooding like Houston does, and the fact streets are "designed to flood" is unusual.

Other places I have lived experience more annual rain than Houston and experience the same heavy rain and they don't flood at nearly the rate of Houston. It's not common place to have highways shutdown and underpasses impassable. 

I'm not hear to debate, you have your opinion and I have mine. There are things I very much like about Houston, city planning is not one of them. 

I'm curious what places you've lived that receive more rain than Houston 

1 hour ago, Houston19514 said:

I'm curious what places you've lived that receive more rain than Houston 

Orlando and also Charlotte which receives the same annual rainfall as Houston.