Buffalo Bayou Master Plan

houstonfella

3 hours ago, Angostura said:

Hmmm.

• The city needs $80M to do this work.
  • The work frees up 16 acres of land in a location where land values could approach $5M/acre.

If only there were a way to reconcile these two things.

I believe the plan is to keep it all park...

however maybe there will be some awkward slices that make more sense to sell. 

I always would prefer park land.

5 hours ago, Angostura said:

Hmmm.

• The city needs $80M to do this work.
  • The work frees up 16 acres of land in a location where land values could approach $5M/acre.

If only there were a way to reconcile these two things.

How much of that land is above the 500 year floodplain, I wonder.

5 hours ago, Avossos said:

I believe the plan is to keep it all park...

however maybe there will be some awkward slices that make more sense to sell. 

I always would prefer park land.

Yep, and the land in question is currently between 3 different parks and they would be "linked" together (albeit with two large roads still there). 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
20 hours ago, hindesky said:

More artwork going up, this was at the cistern and more at the Lost Lake.

Tlb7PpF.jpg

7kdfOll.jpg

Bit of a funny story, but I was taking photos for a friends engagement here yesterday morning (the actual down on the knee engagement). And to our surprise they were doing some heavy jackhammering.  Luckily one of the tour guides from the Cistern was able to get the crews to stop for a few minutes so he could get through the question.  Interestingly enough, the people at the cistern weren't even told what the construction was for.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, CaptainJilliams said:

I could be wrong, but technically I believe it is designed to flood.

You are right.  Everything within BBP (outside maybe the park above the cistern) is going to flood whenever we get tons of rain.  Buffalo Bayou is the main drainage channel for much of the area's waterways and storm runoff.   

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, CaptainJilliams said:

I could be wrong, but technically I believe it is designed to flood.

Correct. It held up too. The only thing that didn't hold up was the actual landscaping.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, CaptainJilliams said:

This was posted today as a story on the Buffalo Bayou Park’s Instagram page.

Looks like the work will be split into 7 phases to minimize disruption for park users. Some areas/paths will close down temporarily.  

44299F5B-29A7-402F-B05A-B352433A7731.jpeg

This is MUCH needed... Hope they do a good job.

• Like 9

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First of all, kind of cool that there's a tunnel under the RR tracks between the warehouses and barge terminal. Second, I think the key word is "conceptual."

BTW, the warehouse in the upper rendering looks to be near Turkey Bend, Navigation @ Norwood.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HoustonMidtown said:

Looks like they are raising the north side of the bayou by the skate park

48872653631_9141549ded_k.jpgUntitled by Houston Midtown, on Flickr

Off topic, but The Allen project will really add a splash of much-needed newness to this side of the skyline, which has become pretty familiar and stagnant over the years. Feels like this could be a photo of the Rendezvous Houston preparations, except for 609 Main peeking out.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Off topic, but The Allen project will really add a splash of much-needed newness to this side of the skyline, which has become pretty familiar and stagnant over the years. Feels like this could be a photo of the Rendezvous Houston preparations, except for 609 Main peeking out.

and 1500 Louisiana peeking out, and Heritage Plaza being complete.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I love that treehouse looking structure in the 2nd to last rendering...but in the first one, how in the heck can that guy stand so far from the railing on the bridge yet not be leaning way over to reach it. I would like some answers...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gene said:

I love that treehouse looking structure in the 2nd to last rendering...but in the first one, how in the heck can that guy stand so far from the railing on the bridge yet not be leaning way over to reach it. I would like some answers...

The guy in the second to last photo is REALLY interested in that grass.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, gene said:

He's very tall.

49 minutes ago, Triton said:

The guy in the second to last photo is REALLY interested in that grass.

Nope.  He just got mugged and thrown down the slope by the smiling couple. :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am scared of that rendering...

Why in the world is that lady running TOWARDS the attacking birds killing those innocent park goers on the mountain!!!??? I mean i am definitely proud of her bravery but with all that bare skin, those birds are sure to peck her to death! I would at least wear a well covering cape or something 😮

Ps...i think the artist's 5 year old drew that jungle gym in purple marker without him realizing it and turned it in...

i hope he didn't get fired but likely he did

sad

Edited by gene
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2