Buffalo Bayou Master Plan

houstonfella

2 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

The warehouse at 1119 Commerce St. downtown has a construction fence set up around it. Looks like the Harris County Flood Control District is finally ready to move forward with demolition.

https://www.hcfcd.org/Find-Your-Watershed/Buffalo-Bayou/F-82-1119-Commerce-Street

https://imgur.com/gallery/eQ9YOaN

Oh well, I had always hoped this building could somehow be incorporated into BBP’s design, but I understand that downtown is probably better off without it from a flood control perspective. Also, the south side bayou trail can now continue East, although the next barrier is right across San Jacinto at the Harris County inmate processing center.

I was hoping.that would meet the same fate as 1119. All that land plus the adjacent parking lot would open up a nice bit of green space along the bayou.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Sunstar said:

Oh well, I had always hoped this building could somehow be incorporated into BBP’s design, but I understand that downtown is probably better off without it from a flood control perspective. Also, the south side bayou trail can now continue East, although the next barrier is right across San Jacinto at the Harris County inmate processing center.

I was hoping.that would meet the same fate as 1119. All that land plus the adjacent parking lot would open up a nice bit of green space along the bayou.

Have we heard of its fate now that it is abandoned? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sunstar said:

Also, the south side bayou trail can now continue East, although the next barrier is right across San Jacinto at the Harris County inmate processing center.

I believe plans were shared here earlier that showed the path actually going THROUGH that building, which would be pretty cool.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, West Timer said:

Beautiful in it's own way.

Houston's own no frills Little Venice. (sort of)

This is how I see it haha I wish this could be converted into a flood-proof outdoor terrace or walkway. Such a unique structure within Texas I feel.

• Like 7

IIRC, it's being removed to help improve water flow in the area. Nothing will go in it's place. The North Canal would be a better solution than tearing down this building (unless it's crumbling, or the city has something against Rowdy for tagging it)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

IIRC, it's being removed to help improve water flow in the area. Nothing will go in it's place. The North Canal would be a better solution than tearing down this building (unless it's crumbling, or the city has something against Rowdy for tagging it)

The north canal is going to be built too. We need multiple solutions.  And, yes, I'm pretty sure the building is crumbling. 

• Like 5

17 hours ago, hindesky said:

Spaw Glass is the GC of the project but JBT is the actual company doing the demo. I wonder if something is going to be built in its place, Spaw Glass does construction.

Maybe it's SpawGlass's civil division.  According to the Flood Control District (which owns the property): "Demolishing the building will create room to soften the existing bend in the channel."

• Like 4

10 hours ago, HoustonBoy said:

This is how I see it haha I wish this could be converted into a flood-proof outdoor terrace or walkway. Such a unique structure within Texas I feel.

It is pretty unique within Texas, maybe some stuff in San Antonio comes closest. But we can't advocate that a canal be built for flood improvement and then when there's a building constricting the channel say "Oh, this has some character, we'll leave it." And if it's crumbling, that pretty much resolves the issue.

There used to be a lot of buildings built against and even over the bayou. Most of them were either destroyed in the two big early 1930's floods or cleared away soon after.

I think Spaw Glass has done plenty of demolition downtown over the years. They were involved in some of the middle-of-the-night demos if I'm not mistaken.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Texasota said:

The flood mapper shows that trapezoidal parking lot as being relatively low risk (500 year floodplain), so maybe the thought is that a building could actually go there.

Honestly I think that would be ideal. 

I think it's better to have street frontage for your park and then the land across the street has development pressure. But a couple of downtown parks have done it your way, with a commercial building in the park (Market Square, Jones Plaza, Discovery Green). Those buildings were controlled by the parks, though; if they wanted to do that here, they could have bought the parking lot and then built a commercial building there.

Except the park will have street frontage regardless - Austin will terminate at the park and the block west of Austin will be all parkland. Besides, this isn't really one park; it's part of a network of expanding and contracting park spaces along the bayou.

I like the idea of a (residential) building anchoring the corner at Commerce/Elysian/La Branch and, hopefully, helping to instigate development on the surrounding lots. That would help to extend the little bit of a neighborhood further east on Commerce and maybe blunt the impact of Elysian dumping commuters from Kingwood or wherever into the city.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Texasota said:

Except the park will have street frontage regardless - Austin will terminate at the park and the block west of Austin will be all parkland. Besides, this isn't really one park; it's part of a network of expanding and contracting park spaces along the bayou.

I like the idea of a (residential) building anchoring the corner at Commerce/Elysian/La Branch and, hopefully, helping to instigate development on the surrounding lots. That would help to extend the little bit of a neighborhood further east on Commerce and maybe blunt the impact of Elysian dumping commuters from Kingwood or wherever into the city.

Wherever the park ends, there you have opportunity for commercial buildings. What this really boils down to is, do you want a narrower park or a wider park along the bayou?

I'm also skeptical that you'll get a residential building on that small trapezoidal site, especially with the flooding issues. Most likely this just remains a parking lot.

Edited by H-Town Man

I sympathize with your skepticism and also worry that this will remain surface, but I do think there's room for a residential building there and think that would be the ideal use. What would have been better (from my perspective) would be if the Parks Board/BBP had purchased the lot and then put out an RFP for a building on it.

But I also don't really agree that "this really boils down to is, do you want a narrower park or a wider park along the bayou".  I want the park to be wide where there's a programmed benefit to that width and narrower where that width makes less sense. Given the wider sections between Caroline and Austin and Fannin and San Jacinto, plus the proximity of Allen's Landing and James Bute Park, I actually thinks it makes for a better, more interesting experience for the park to narrow here to make room for something else. As long as it's still wide enough to be useful and "something else" doesn't just stay a surface parking lot. 

I'll of course take a park over a parking lot in a heartbeat, but I think this lot is uniquely positioned to work well for a building (of some sort) despite its relative proximity to the bayou.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Texasota said:

I sympathize with your skepticism and also worry that this will remain surface, but I do think there's room for a residential building there and think that would be the ideal use. What would have been better (from my perspective) would be if the Parks Board/BBP had purchased the lot and then put out an RFP for a building on it.

But I also don't really agree that "this really boils down to is, do you want a narrower park or a wider park along the bayou".  I want the park to be wide where there's a programmed benefit to that width and narrower where that width makes less sense. Given the wider sections between Caroline and Austin and Fannin and San Jacinto, plus the proximity of Allen's Landing and James Bute Park, I actually thinks it makes for a better, more interesting experience for the park to narrow here to make room for something else. As long as it's still wide enough to be useful and "something else" doesn't just stay a surface parking lot. 

I'll of course take a park over a parking lot in a heartbeat, but I think this lot is uniquely positioned to work well for a building (of some sort) despite its relative proximity to the bayou.

Shrug. I guess the Riverwalk in San Antonio is an example of where close commercial development makes the experience more interesting. I liked the original vision in the 2002 Master Plan where everything north of Commerce would be cleared out and you'd have a "Commerce Street Promenade," but that isn't likely to happen anytime soon.

commerce-st.png

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, H-Town Man said:

Shrug. I guess the Riverwalk in San Antonio is an example of where close commercial development makes the experience more interesting. I liked the original vision in the 2002 Master Plan where everything north of Commerce would be cleared out and you'd have a "Commerce Street Promenade," but that isn't likely to happen anytime soon.

commerce-st.png

That rendering is really throwing me off. The area around UHD looks like it's reversed like it's mirrored, but then Minute Maid Park is in the right place. My head hurts! 😄

• Like 1

18 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

commerce-st.png

According to the new East Sector Plan, there will be a promenade on the North Canal similar in appearance to what was depicted for the Commerce street promenade in the original Master plan. Interestingly the North Canal would give the warehouse district a riverfront. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sunstar said:

According to the new East Sector Plan, there will be a promenade on the North Canal similar in appearance to what was depicted for the Commerce street promenade in the original Master plan. Interestingly the North Canal would give the warehouse district a riverfront. 

That's good. Both would be better.