Buffalo Bayou Master Plan

houstonfella

I've always thought if they can develop the KBR site into a neat bayou oriented development or really just anything mixed use with a large residential component that it would be cool if they could have water taxis going from downtown to KBR. It would probably be a quicker means of transportation than trying to find a parking spot downtown in your car.. Allens Landing is right next to UH-D and their light rail station. But yeah, beyond that segment of Buffalo Bayou I don't think there's enough water in any bayous for water taxis.

• Like 2

I've always thought if they can develop the KBR site into a neat bayou oriented development or really just anything mixed use with a large residential component that it would be cool if they could have water taxis going from downtown to KBR. It would probably be a quicker means of transportation than trying to find a parking spot downtown in your car.. Allens Landing is right next to UH-D and their light rail station. But yeah, beyond that segment of Buffalo Bayou I don't think there's enough water in any bayous for water taxis.

Again cloud Why aren't you a developer? Or what have you been smoking? It's clearly doing wonders for your imagination! 

• Like 3

The idea of Water Taxis have occurred to me as well.  It really isn't a matter of how much water is in the bayou, it is a matter of controlling the level of the water that is there, with locks, dams and leaves...to maintain a steady depth/level.  Think San Antonio River walk.  However, there still would likely be flooding issues from time to time.  These control methods would not control the water when waterflow is high and the bayous spill out of their banks. 

It is a cool idea, though.  But, over a significant distance (downtown to Uptown for instance), it would require highspeed water craft, which isn't very possible in a narrow waterway, like a bayou. 

Edited by Naviguessor

I've always hoped for water taxis or maybe duck boats to take people from downtown out to the San Jacinto Monument.  I don't know if it would just take too long that way or if it's in any way feasible.

Or how about boat rides from downtown to the Kemah Boardwalk?  If there's anyone who could make it happen, it's Tilman.

• Like 3

It would take many hours to go from downtown to Kemah and Galveston via any type of water taxi. Port of Houston is one of the busiest port in the nation and it's use by individuals or recreational services take a back seat to the working port. Recreational/pleasure vessels used to go up and down the ship channel before 9/11 but they aren't allowed anymore. http://www.uscg.mil/vtshouston/docs/SECZONE8_5x14.pdf

It would take many hours to go from downtown to Kemah and Galveston via any type of water taxi. Port of Houston is one of the busiest port in the nation and it's use by individuals or recreational services take a back seat to the working port. Recreational/pleasure vessels used to go up and down the ship channel before 9/11 but they aren't allowed anymore. http://www.uscg.mil/vtshouston/docs/SECZONE8_5x14.pdf

Yeahh, I was being sarcastic.. But if the maritime museum gets built at the turning basin it would be cool to get a boat shuttle from Allens landing out to the maritime museum to join up with the ship channel boat tour launch.

Believe me, I'm working on it! I'm still fairly young (in my 20s), but have struggled with conforming to the college environment, so I still don't have a degree. Hopefully in a couple years I'll have that piece of paper and employers will be more likely to give me a chance.

all you need: personalmba.com

The ebook is available on the major torrent sites. i just checked. But no audio book, so it's no good for me.

My friend checked the book out at the public library. If you've never signed up for audible.com you can get the trial and listen to it free. His book is only the introduction to the system. Plus, if you just read his entire blog you'll basically get the gist of his book anyway.

Big Feet totally of the topic.  Get out of the house! LOL! 

I expect it reads something like,"First, you get people to join our program and sell our products, then those people recruit people to sell, and so on so forth! It's like you're a boss with a sprawling root-like diagram of employees! A triangular form, if you will. Perhaps Egyptian?"

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I live about a mile off of Brays bayou, and a bicycle offers much better connectivity to everything that isn't on the bayou. I can be at the zoo in 15 minutes and not have to mess about with parking, even on their busiest day. some friends and I rode our bikes to the buffalo bayou grand opening, we had no issues getting in/out, and we stopped by that burger place in midtown that's in that park on bagby and gray. can't do that on a boat ;-)

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

I was out on the bayou Saturday (walking and picnic) and Sunday (biking). Both days there were a lot of people out- walkers, runners, bikers, skaters (inline and board), people reading, in hammocks, photo shoots - all ages, races, different kinds of people - heard 4 languages that were not english or spanish in a one hour timeframe. This is such a great asset for our city, and definitely being fully utilized. One good way to distinguish the transplants and locals: when you see non-runners in t-shirts next then others like my wife wearing their heaviest winter coat and hat - when it was 50F out.

There were several people each time I went waiting out the traffic and crossing at Allen Pkwy and Taft. A light and pedestrian crossing will be important there - I just hope the city puts some smarts behind it to minimize backups on Allen during rush hour.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

The bike/pedestrian trail is now complete on the south side of the bayou between Sesquicentennial Park and Allen's Landing.

They've also upgraded the steps connecting the path to this rear patio behind the Magnolia Brewery building.  Somebody put a cafe here please & thanks.  

I cant wait to take advantage of that now, thanks for the update.