GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

Seems like a neat development, but part of me thinks that after work is completed, it'll just be as dead as usual in non-business hours.  Much like Houston Pavillions, err Green Street.  

Is there a plan for more actual retail along this stretch? 

Wider sidewalks on both sides with improved landscaping (includes adding trees..I think they will be palm trees) from Milam to Crawford.

They won't be Palm trees. They have already acquired the trees they need and they are at a nursery now. I believe that they are Elms. The kind that grow naturally into a more connical shape.

How do I know? Because they had a public meeting a week ago.

• Like 2

They won't be Palm trees. They have already acquired the trees they need and they are at a nursery now. I believe that they are Elms. The kind that grow naturally into a more connical shape.

no palm trees?  now this is what i hate....

Thank god.

• Like 1

Looks like the second half of the public meeting was about Main Street. I didn't stay for that....

Withe the caveat noted below, Palm trees WILL be on Main..... Including the intersection of main and Dallas....

Check out the thread on Main Street redo for link to details.....the presentation may NOT have been the one from last week as the one online is dated February 2014.......

Edited by UtterlyUrban

Dude, you apparently haven't been around the Fashionable Bars lately...  :ph34r:

Oh, you mean Lounge Lizards!  

While I don't mind palms or any other kind of tree to encourage shopping--first, we need someplace to shop!  

Macy's/Foley's That Was used only half of that old building--but shopping did occur.  Since I watched them gut the place over the months, waiting for the train every morning, I wasn't too sad when it finally imploded. Shorn of its purpose, the building was hulking & unbeautiful.  But when they began filling up the empty space, it was evident that the new building, with a pretty curved plaza, will turn its back to Main Street. Which gets the parking garage & is beginning to seem claustrophobic.  

Even a few fast food joints on street level would be better than a blank wall.  One hopes somebody will do something with the Bobby Sakowitz Memorial Parking Garage....

Edited by MaggieMay

Oh, you mean Lounge Lizards!  

While I don't mind palms or any other kind of tree to encourage shopping--first, we need someplace to shop!  

Macy's/Foley's That Was  used half of that old building--but shopping did occur.  Since I watched them gut the place over the months as I waited for the train every work morning, I wasn't too sad when it finally imploded.  But the fact that the new building has turned its back to Main Street, offering a view of its parking garage, does not make me happy.  Even a few fast food joints on street level would be better than a blank wall....

Where do you get the idea there will be a blank wall facing Main Street?

Where do you get the idea there will be a blank wall facing Main Street?

I changed my post a bit since you quoted me.  But, standing at the train stop, all I can see being built is a parking garage.  

Are there plans for retail on the first floor?

Edited by MaggieMay

I changed my post a bit since you quoted me. But, standing at the train stop, all I can see being built is a parking garage.

Are there plans for retail on the first floor?

8,000 sq ft of retail space in total. And southbound lane on Main St in between Lamar & Dallas will also be closed to become a plaza.

I've also worked for in the area for a few years (rode the train too) and understand your views on the transformation. In my view, this change will be for the better, no question about it. And combined the other nearby developments almost happening simultaneously, by 2016 the center city will have a vastly different look and feel from what we usually encounter daily.

8,000 sq ft of retail space in total. And southbound lane on Main St in between Lamar & Dallas will also be closed to become a plaza.

I've also worked for in the area for a few years (rode the train too) and understand your views on the transformation. In my view, this change will be for the better, no question about it. And combined the other nearby developments almost happening simultaneously, by 2016 the center city will have a vastly different look and feel from what we usually encounter daily.

In order for this to work, the homeless need to be removed from this area, the urine stench is unbearable and they accost people walking by for money.
  • Like 1

In order for this to work, the homeless need to be removed from this area, the urine stench is unbearable and they accost people walking by for money.

I'm pretty sure other cities with retail districts in their downtown areas have homeless people in the area and they're not an impediment to shoppers. Heck, there's homeless people in the Galleria area. They don't impede shopping there.

BigFootsSocks,

The homeless population is finally nowhere near the majority downtown.  The city has done a decent job of relocating some of the homeless, and the population of paying residents downtown has been gradually increasing.

And now I'd say the police (thanks to not properly cleaning up after their horses) contribute more excrement to downtown streets than the homeless.

• Like 1

I think what he means is, the homeless population should not be the majority in downtown if this whole thing is to work.

What I meant was, this exact block specifically, in front of the former Macys and Sakowitz, is the epicenter of all homeless congregation in downtown, along with the homeless paradise one block away where metros light rail waterwall failure is.

I dont have a problem with the homeless in particular, I live in midtown and have dealt with them my whole life.

All I was pointing out is that this is the bullseye of all central downtown homeless camping/loitering.

They can move somewhere else a few blocks away.

What I meant was, this exact block specifically, in front of the former Macys and Sakowitz, is the epicenter of all homeless congregation in downtown, along with the homeless paradise one block away where metros light rail waterwall failure is.

I dont have a problem with the homeless in particular, I live in midtown and have dealt with them my whole life.

All I was pointing out is that this is the bullseye of all central downtown homeless camping/loitering.

They can move somewhere else a few blocks away.

Agreed.  The area around the convenience story on the corner is very bad.  It is also really bad in the far SE corner of downtown (and of course at Main and Wheeler, although that is Midtown).  

No it is not the bulls eye for the most part a few congregate but it is far the center..also 90% of the time they don't bother anybody since during the day there is at least one police car parked out there , many people walk up and down that block as well at night without being bothered most times..every blue moon one of them bothers a patron sitting outside on the patio sections but that about it..the real problem is people just find them unsightly,since most times they just keep to Edited by Moore713

I think the homeless may end up moving soon as a result of construction soon on Main St for its facelift, combined with already ongoing construction at 1111 Travis.