GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

16335152901_b035d4e9d5_b.jpg

My goodness. Such a huge letdown, I don't even wanna visit the site anymore... GreenStreet Skybridge depicted on lower left confirms its legitimacy (as if there was any question). Also you can see Forever 21 and the Spring Hill Inn & Suites on the lower right.

On the brightside, at least a hotel component is still being added to GreenStreet/Dallas St Shopping corridor. Despite redesign, if it performs well, it will be a welcome addition to the area.

Edited by tigereye

Isnt someone redeveloping an old building into a hotel right across Main, from GreenStreet?

I'd rather just stay at the JW on Main and take the train a couple stops down to Dallas Ave then stay at this place. Prices better be reduced a good bit from what they were originally planning.

• Like 1

I'll be the first one to say the re-design is a huge letdown, and more than anything a missed opportunity - it's a terrible thing to know what we are missing out on.

However, from the developer and operator's point of view, it makes sense 100%. Look at the two designs side by side, and think about the huge cost savings from eliminating all those sexy curves. I bet they are saving a few million dollars. And the reality is that no, they don't need to reduce the price per room one cent as a result; these savings are all in the bank - and most importantly, reduce the risk of default in case the economy slows down so much that the revenue drops more than expected.

The Valencia Group (operators) knows very well that the exterior design has a minuscule impact, if not zero, on the success of the hotel. Service, rooms, amenities, location, are all much more important.

Imagine the conversation, you are looking at both designs, and pondering if the redesign is worth the millions you are saving, and someone says that the hotel won't be as successful if you go with the redesign... Then, you compare the redesign with the hotel Sorella, which you also own and operate. The hotel Sorella which has been wildly successful, made Conde Nast magazine list of best hotels in the world, this hotel Sorella:

HotelSorellaExteriorNightweb.jpg

And you think...If that building, way out in the West Houston, in the corner of I-10 and the Beltway can be so successful, then this building, in Downtown Houston, with everything happening there right now, with the same service, amenities, quality, rooms as the Hotel Sorella, will do just fine. Hell yes, I'll take the millions in dollars in savings, too bad if we don't the make cover of Architectural Record!

So as I said, huge disappointment in design, but it is the right thing to do.....and for the record, no, I don't work for Midway.

Edited by fernz
  • Like 2

Alright I'm going to have to be the adult in the thread and just say to stop whining. I had my suspicions for awhile that something was up when they kept delaying the project and everyone that is involved in this project is at fault here. They simply waited to long and too many people got their hands onto it and changed it. I was also curious as to why it wasn't on Genslers website at all. My guess is that Gensler and Midway had some sort of argument over the design and Midway instead went with it's own vision for the project.

Is it a disappointment that the other one isn't going to be built, absolutely. Lets look on the positive side. They are still building a hotel for greenstreet which will help that area greatly and create lots of foot traffic. This also might make the hotel a little more moderately priced than the one before. The other design while distinctive might have put the price range out of a lot of peoples wallets who might want to stay there. I'm simply playing devils advocate because once again I really liked the original design.

Now while everyone wants to whine and throw out the baby with the bath water I'm going to ask if everyone simply jumps out of that frame of mind and adjust to the new reality that this is whats going to get built. I'm sorry, but it's very rare that a project gets pushed back so far and still holds the same design...its very hard. I think a lot of people are going to like the hotel (those that aren't associated with this forum of course) for the fact that ignorance is bliss and the building will fit nicely in the current Houston aesthetic. I stress what I said, in the Steven Holl art buliding in contrast to the revealed Morphosis design, that Houston is slowly moving into a more bolder aesthetic, but just isn't there yet. When you have a very conservative industry designing for a very conservative clientele the result is going to be very conservative architecture. I even work with people who often complain about designers incorporating curves into designs because all they can see is a jump in price and more time spent to work those designs out instead of understanding the aesthetic impact and importance to the design.

Now for the building itself. If this is what will go there, I will take it. For anyone posting that one disgrace of a hotel that is near Discovery Green please take that crap down as it's an over-exaggeration. That building is tacky and ugly. Now contrast it with this building. While redesigned it still is very sleek and contemporary in it's aesthetic. If it were a design for any other building then everyone on this forum would be losing their minds over it! Get real everyone. Lets stop comparing the two different designs for this building and just focus on this new one, because its probably from a different designer and company altogether which wouldn't make it fair to this one at all. It's a very nice looking building. Again for the record of course I'm disappointed, but lets move forward because this is a well designed building just not of a radical nature in regards to Houston's current aesthetic which this new design fits in very well.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 4

All garment rending aside, the only really clear view of this from outside downtown is from the 288/Gulf Freeway quadrant, and all the really cool stuff was on the lower floors, facing north.  

Yeah, it's a disappointment, but we'll live.

I'll be the first one to say the re-design is a huge letdown, and more than anything a missed opportunity - it's a terrible thing to know what we are missing out on.

However, from the developer and operator's point of view, it makes sense 100%. Look at the two designs side by side, and think about the huge cost savings from eliminating all those sexy curves. I bet they are saving a few million dollars. And the reality is that no, they don't need to reduce the price per room one cent as a result; these savings are all in the bank - and most importantly, reduce the risk of default in case the economy slows down so much that the revenue drops more than expected.

The Valencia Group (operators) knows very well that the exterior design has a minuscule impact, if not zero, on the success of the hotel. Service, rooms, amenities, location, are all much more important.

Imagine the conversation, you are looking at both designs, and pondering if the redesign is worth the millions you are saving, and someone says that the hotel won't be as successful if you go with the redesign... Then, you compare the redesign with the hotel Sorella, which you also own and operate. The hotel Sorella which has been wildly successful, made Conde Nast magazine list of best hotels in the world, this hotel Sorella:

HotelSorellaExteriorNightweb.jpg

And you think...If that building, way out in the West Houston, in the corner of I-10 and the Beltway can be so successful, then this building, in Downtown Houston, with everything happening there right now, with the same service, amenities, quality, rooms as the Hotel Sorella, will do just fine. Hell yes, I'll take the millions in dollars in savings, too bad if we don't the make cover of Architectural Record!

So as I said, huge disappointment in design, but it is the right thing to do.....and for the record, no, I don't work for Midway.

Great points to put some perspective on things..

Though why wouldn't they need to reduce the rates? It looks like a lot of those fancy amenities like a retractable roof over the pool, the 24th floor check in, ect have been abandoned.

Edit. Thanks again for that perspective. The Hotel Alessandra redesign actually looks pretty damn good compared to Hotel Sorella.

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 2

Hell yes, I'll take the millions in dollars in savings, too bad if we don't the make cover of Architectural Record!

The original design was dazzling and completely unexpected in this city. That being said, I seriously doubt this would have won any awards. The original rendering is on-par with what has been going up in ultra modern architecture recently. A shame we have missed it, but the newer rendering isn't half bad. It still has modern features and HOPEFULLY that bar on the top floor.

Honestly i'm glad we didn't end up with a stucco nightmare... knock on wood

• Like 1

Because most people booking a room in downtown Houston aren't looking for a retractable roof or a sky lobby. They want a good quality hotel with great service, good food, and close to the business they are attending.

But dammit Houston needs a hotel with a retractable roof and sky lobby! Lol

This is very embarrassing for Midway, but if you lop off that top floor & the roof, the rest of the building looks okay.  Granted, it looks like it belongs in CityCentre instead of in the...city's...center...but it could still be a positive addition if quality materials are used.  Brinsden, if you're reading this, PLEASE redesign that roof.  Give it some character, man.

That's another thing some of these buildings and their roof have no character nothing to say wow different, i love my city and everything but our buildings specially at night have no character in my opinion nothing that at least pops out just white lines of light (for crowns) if those other older buildings like 712 main were just taller to stand out to make it a bit more unique but i am no expert.

• Like 1

A huge letdown, it feels criminal! But not surprising as this bait and switch crap has become all to rampant nowadays with the larger developments in Houston. It's not bad, just screams mediocre. This new design looks like it could belong anywhere from the Energy Corridor to The Woodlands. My perspective is this is the heart of downtown, go big (either in size or design) or get out. I can't believe we've gone through a booming period without any true iconic pieces of architecture like we pushed out in the 80's.

Edited by intencity77
  • Like 1

A huge letdown, it feels criminal! But not surprising as this bait and switch crap has become all to rampant nowadays with the larger developments in Houston. It's not bad, just screams mediocre. This new design looks like it could belong anywhere from the Energy Corridor to The Woodlands. My perspective is this is downtown, go big (either in size or design) or get out. I can't believe we've gone through a booming period without any true iconic pieces of architecture like we pushed out in the 80's.

609 Main, 2929 Weslayan..?

Spin-Master-Logo_3.png

to all of the gracious spin masters above... nice try!

....but you are not selling me upon this prospective hotel design disaster...

for every moment that i force myself to actually glance at the new concept, it brings to mind the downtown jail complex.  anyone up for a mugshot?

if i have stated it once, i shall state it again... why oh why is dallas so damn lucky when it comes to all of the beautiful luxury hotels that they seem to acquire?

their newest downtown addition OMNI.. is simply spectacular!  (especially at night)

just what in the hell is wrong with the city of houston?  when will we ever acquire anything decent... hospitality wise?

where did we go wrong.....

• Like 3