GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

I can't believe we've gone through a booming period without any true iconic pieces of architecture like we pushed out in the 80's.

Doing things differently than in the 80's is a good thing, unless you want investors to run away from Houston real estate again

• Like 1

Spin-Master-Logo_3.png

to all of the gracious spin masters above... nice try!

....but you are not selling me upon this prospective hotel design disaster...

for every moment that i force myself to actually glance at the new concept, it brings to mind the downtown jail complex. anyone up for a mugshot?

if i have stated it once, i shall state it again... why oh why is dallas so damn lucky when it comes to all of the beautiful luxury hotels that they seem to acquire?

their newest downtown addition OMNI.. is simply spectacular! (especially at night)

just what in the hell is wrong with the city of houston? when will we ever acquire anything decent... hospitality wise?

where did we go wrong.....

Dallas is a top 5 convention city.. Houston is not.

What's so great about the Omni besides the lights slapped on the side?

Although the design of the Marquis isn't groundbreaking, were only the 6th city to get one...

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 1

I hate to say this does Dallas downtown does pop out more specially at night it looks more alive and we at night look like ehh.. our medical center looks more like it should be our downtown. We are the 4th largest city, the energy capital of the world, space city, we have have a unique history and multi cultural city but we come up with this, sorry it's my opinion. 

• Like 2

Just remember TMC is larger then Downtown Dallas.  They have the LED lights on there buildings which looks good.  It's just a showcase since 30% of Downtown Dallas is empty.  The next census I would not be surprised when San Jose,CA, and Austin pass up Dallas in population.  Back to the subject.  I'm do not like the new design but a least it is getting built.   

• Like 1

Yep. The new design is much better than the 2 stories of Yaos(?)/SkyHouse leasing office that used to be in its place.. At least we can be thankful were getting another new tower downtown. We're getting spoiled with development when we can complain and wish nothing was built instead of this version. That would of been blasphemous just a few years ago..

I'm disappointed in the redesign, but understand why Midway had to do it.

That being said, the new design looks nice and I expect that most here would be happy with it had they never seen the original proposal. 

Quite frankly, with the collapse in oil prices, we should be pleased that this is happening at all.

• Like 6

Did anyone reeeeaaaaallllllyyyy think a retractable roof hotel w/ check-in at the top of the building was going to happen?  Redesign is not as interesting as the original proposal, but in the interests of them moving forward this is a good step.  We need more hotels - not necessarily gimmicky ones.

And does this thing really look as bad as some are letting on?  Nope.  Its just like most of the other designs during this latest boom cycle:  Its decent.  Nothing great.  Not really bad.  Certainly not inspirational architecture.

Edited by arche_757
  • Like 2

leaves the opportunity in the future for someone to make a big splash

It won't matter. If Alessandra is as successful as Sorelia, it will make the splash itself. A splash that regardless of design, could transform not only GreenStreet, but the city center itself.

• Like 1

I'm disappointed in the redesign, but understand why Midway had to do it.

That being said, the new design looks nice and I expect that most here would be happy with it had they never seen the original proposal. 

Quite frankly, with the collapse in oil prices, we should be pleased that this is happening at all.

You're absolutely right. 

If I had never seen the original design, I would be ecstatic about this.  The new design isn't bad; in fact, it's better than a lot of buildings being built now.  It's only because the original design was so wild that I'm disappointed, because the new design is certainly far less interesting that the original.

It's times like this that I just wish they'd never shared the original rendering.  I think we'd all be a lot happier right now if it had been kept under wraps.

• Like 3

I think the new convention hotel will have a bigger splash and the probably that other new hotel planned next to it as well. I think what would make this one a splash is just the fact that greenstreet will be attach to it.

This is what I've been hoping since last night.. The convention center hotel has all the key elements to a mixed use tower. Hopefully they implement some neat features and a nice design.

Edit: I cant think of a single hotel going up/that's gone up during this boom anywhere in the city that's as nice as the finalized Hotel Alessandra. We're just obviously bummed that it's not the most groundbreaking design in Houston since Pennzoil Place. Or whatever building from the 70s-80s that you think was the most significant architectural marvel of its time.

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 3

This is what I've been hoping since last night.. The convention center hotel has all the key elements to a mixed use tower. Hopefully they implement some neat features and a nice design.

Edit: I cant think of a single hotel going up/that's gone up during this boom anywhere in the city that's as nice as the finalized Hotel Alessandra. We're just obviously bummed that it's not the most groundbreaking design in Houston since Pennzoil Place. Or whatever building from the 70s-80s that you think was the most significant architectural marvel of its time.

You have a point. I think we're also just a little upset that this boom cycle did not produce anything downtown that could cause someone to drive off the road looking at it, like Pennzoil or Tenneco did for their eras, or arguably the Gulf Building for its. The person who said this is like going from a Midtown Manhattan to a downtown Austin design was spot on. Austin isn't shabby at all, but the first design was in another realm.

• Like 1

You have a point. I think we're also just a little upset that this boom cycle did not produce anything downtown that could cause someone to drive off the road looking at it, like Pennzoil or Tenneco did for their eras, or arguably the Gulf Building for its. The person who said this is like going from a Midtown Manhattan to a downtown Austin design was spot on. Austin isn't shabby at all, but the first design was in another realm.

Back in those days companies wanted to stand out from the crowd and it was more common for entire companies to be housed in one building exclusively. We are seeing more and more spec buildings than built to suit in this market specially because the current market/corporate culture in America doesn't allow for built to suit to flourish and we live in the hyper extreme of this case, Houston. Companies in the 70's and 80's were willing to take those risks because it was another way to market their company and stand out from their competitors. We live in a period of American architecture, and corporatism where instead of trying to be bold and brash, it's all about conformity, blending in, don't offend, why go for one thing when you can aim to please all.

You see this with everything from cable TV channels changing programming to reach everyone making them more bland in the process, or technology which tries to be the all-in-one which actually makes it less distinctive than if they were singular devices. The age of Exclusivity is gone and we have entered the era of Homogeneity. If there is anything to blame for this, blame those in charge because it really does reflect the mentality of this current generation of those in power all around. They are completely content with not advancing anything and are instead either rehashing old themes, preying on nostalgia, or flying on auto pilot. It's why I don't understand why we keep using the term "Modern" when, at least in Western culture (especially here in America), we are entirely in the Post-Modern. Everything is relative and you see it architecture today, and in every industry in general. Modern is the advancement of culture in one continuous direction where as in Post-Modern there isn't a one true path, but an infinite number which instead of leading us forward keeps us at a standstill due to either to many forces going in different directions or the inability even choose one.

EDIT: If I did so happen to offend anyone in that age bracket.....I don't care.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 2

Well, at least there will be no doubt that this design emerged from the building boom of the first half of the 2010's. Losing the original design is a bit said (it would have looked very neat), but at least the project is still moving forward. 

Some of these elements may hopefully get utilized in the crest of the next cycle.

Back in those days companies wanted to stand out from the crowd and it was more common for entire companies to be housed in one building exclusively. We are seeing more and more spec buildings than built to suit in this market specially because the current market/corporate culture in America doesn't allow for built to suit to flourish and we live in the hyper extreme of this case, Houston. Companies in the 70's and 80's were willing to take those risks because it was another way to market their company and stand out from their competitors. We live in a period of American architecture, and corporatism where instead of trying to be bold and brash, it's all about conformity, blending in, don't offend, why go for one thing when you can aim to please all.

You see this with everything from cable TV channels changing programming to reach everyone making them more bland in the process, or technology which tries to be the all-in-one which actually makes it less distinctive than if they were singular devices. The age of Exclusivity is gone and we have entered the era of Homogeneity. If there is anything to blame for this, blame those in charge because it really does reflect the mentality of this current generation of those in power all around. They are completely content with not advancing anything and are instead either rehashing old themes, preying on nostalgia, or flying on auto pilot. It's why I don't understand why we keep using the term "Modern" when, at least in Western culture (especially here in America), we are entirely in the Post-Modern. Everything is relative and you see it architecture today, and in every industry in general. Modern is the advancement of culture in one continuous direction where as in Post-Modern there isn't a one true path, but an infinite number which instead of leading us forward keeps us at a standstill due to either to many forces going in different directions or the inability even choose one.

EDIT: If I did so happen to offend anyone in that age bracket.....I don't care.

Its not that we (the USA) are becomming more bland... its that we're being given tv/radio/news/books/media/design/etc. etc. that has been "dumbed" down.

Case in point:  The History Channel.  5 years ago they had actual historical documentaries, programs exploring historical events/places/people, fast forward and today we have "Pawn Stars" and their ilk.

Sad.

Yet its a transformation we're all too happy to embrace.  I mean in 1946 we watched sporting events live, movies were only shown on theatre screens and mass media was mostly distributed in a format that HAD to be read, or at least listened to.  Also, it was societal norm for people to simply be more formal in dress, interactions, talk...  Today we have access to everything we need on a palm sized tablet.  This is moving the masses (as a whole) towards a far less formal society, and also towards one where IF you need something - there is a specialized place online where it exists.

Its not that we (the USA) are becomming more bland... its that we're being given tv/radio/news/books/media/design/etc. etc. that has been "dumbed" down.

Case in point:  The History Channel.  5 years ago they had actual historical documentaries, programs exploring historical events/places/people, fast forward and today we have "Pawn Stars" and their ilk.

Sad.

Yet its a transformation we're all too happy to embrace.  I mean in 1946 we watched sporting events live, movies were only shown on theatre screens and mass media was mostly distributed in a format that HAD to be read, or at least listened to.  Also, it was societal norm for people to simply be more formal in dress, interactions, talk...  Today we have access to everything we need on a palm sized tablet.  This is moving the masses (as a whole) towards a far less formal society, and also towards one where IF you need something - there is a specialized place online where it exists.

Bland, dumbed down....they are interchangable. We are happy to embrace it because its easy and its familiar. Lets face it people have no idea what they want most of the time until you put it right in front of their face. All we are doing is regurgitating past styles, themes, tones, typologies, and trying to sell it as the next thing instead of charting new paths to new things or at least try new things. Modernist architecture definitely didn't solve the worlds problems as was once heralded, but at least it TRIED! It failed spectacularly, and was a beautiful mess, but at least it tried to further the discipline and further our culture.

I think you are misinterpreting my motives in regards to technology. The internet is increasing opportunties to create new things and create new culture and has the chance in this new digital age to create fundamentally different architecture. We are also seeing that even though the internet and increased mobility are changing old ways of doing things, it's also helping to reinforce the need for balance in others. A blend between Reality and Virtual-Reality.

...and wow we are getting way off topic lol. But this is getting interesting :P