GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

is it just me, or does the hotel proposal for new orleans sound a bit taller, fun, and much more sophisticated than our GREENSTREET hotel alessandra proposal? i was under the impression that the alessandra name was a bit exclusive to houston. suddenly, it appears that this is just a bit to close for comfort. i was really looking forward to this particular fabulous project. well, now i don't know...

I wouldn't be concerned with New Orleans having a Hotel Alessandra. It's one of 5 bids and the renovated WTC could easily become a Hilton Conrad, Godfrey, Andaz, or Four Season's branded hotel

As for whom would have the better Hotel Alessandra - remember that the Houston-version will have a glass retractable-roof sky lobby with a jazz bar over looking a pool ...all located 25 stories up amongst a skyline view that New Orleans does not have, nor will it have these amenities. If somehow the Woodbine/Monday/Alessandra bid won, it would be New Orleans that is envious of our Alessandra.

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 2

oct.news.ITM-e37d58cf.jpeg?ver=141530565

heck, they may even acquire a W HOTEL before we do.

very nice new orleans...

New Orleans has a W Hotel...or did.  New Orleans and Houston (downtowns at least) aren't on the same planet when it comes to hospitality.

What is the obsession with the W brand?

What is the obsession with the W brand?

I was in one of the first W Hotels when it opened in San Francisco in 2000. Very hip, very cool, very much ambient music and subdued colors. The problem is everyone else has seen what was done with the W and is imitating it. I'm guessing the ZaZa and the Sorella have the same stylistic points, and I'm anxious to see what the Indigo offers. The Derek is good, but very hip-hop. You almost expect to see the visiting teams that are playing the Rockets there.

NBA teams stay at the Four Seasons. $$$ > Posing. 

I thought they stayed at the JW Marriott on Westheimer? Or was that Rockets @ the Compaq Center times?

I was in one of the first W Hotels when it opened in San Francisco in 2000. Very hip, very cool, very much ambient music and subdued colors. The problem is everyone else has seen what was done with the W and is imitating it. I'm guessing the ZaZa and the Sorella have the same stylistic points, and I'm anxious to see what the Indigo offers. The Derek is good, but very hip-hop. You almost expect to see the visiting teams that are playing the Rockets there.

I sincerely do not think ZaZa is trying to imitate the W. The ZaZa is like the Bombay Company/Pier 1 on steroids, and the W is Crate & Barrel. Hotel Derek is a dirty free for all. 

All black people are cool. Just like all white people and Asian and Hispanic and all races are cool.

Except Kim Jong Un.

He may be a homicidal tyrant, but there's no denying he's a fashion icon. Where do you think Macklemore got his idea for his 'famous' haircut?

dear-leader-haircut.jpg

macklemore-haircut-5.jpg

• Like 1

yeah, I still can't bring myself to say that phrase.

It's like the E word.... The E word and the East End are two completely different areas, but I still can't say the E word because it's dumb.  :)

(the E word is the northern Third Ward and the southern part of the Second Ward on the west side of the railroad tracks)

• Like 1

Rip up for rebuilding, or for closure?

Rebuilding

There will be significant traffic and pedestrian impacts over the next year on Dallas from a block or two west of main to about Caroline. It will be done in three phases as I recall.

The purpose is to reconfigure Dallas street to be a more favorable urban shopping district.

Edited by UtterlyUrban
  • Like 3