GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

JUMBOTRONS! That would give it more synergy. It wouldn't kill downtown if there was a little more flash, sparkle and glamour. HP would get more attention if it emitted light.

I wonder why that got scrapped in the first place. You're right, it's in need of some bling.

I've been to HP a couple of times during the last few months to go to concerts at the House of Blues and I agree that it's pretty stale. It's never reached a high enough occupancy rate to really become a destination. The first floor is ok, and the eastern end of the third floor has some good places, but the second floor is a ghost town.

These were taken two weeks ago, but never got around to posting them:

This is where I'm guessing where Scot Gertner's bar will be.

th_P1010558.jpg

For a little context, this was taken at about 8ish? So it was still fairly early on a Saturday night.

th_P1010560.jpg

th_P1010561.jpg

th_P1010562.jpg

th_P1010565.jpg

th_P1010567.jpg

The inside of Forever 21. It wasn't packed, but there were people inside and saw more than a few people with bags walking around town.

th_P1010569.jpg

pavilions isn't a shopping destination because all the stores here can be found at the mall around the corner from where you live. The only unique things are the HoB and Lucky Strike

You also seem to forget, not everyone lives in the 'burbs.

This would be better marketed to the people coming in for business or conventions, not to mention the occasional Midtowner.

Just a pity we couldn't get a hotel in there, I think it would have been more successful. :(

This would be better marketed to the people coming in for business or conventions, not to mention the occasional Midtowner.

Just a pity we couldn't get a hotel in there, I think it would have been more successful. :(

I agree on the hotel. I think the longer HP sites idle like it has been, the longer and more difficult it is to eventually persuade Houstonians this is a place to be.

perhaps one can be built next door?

There's one already next door, I'm curious how many visitors HP gets from them. I would think hotel visitors like convenience, especially business travlers, so a hotel next door would benefit HP and the hotel I would think.

That's what happens when you cut so many damn corners. If the Pavilions looked like the first rendering they showed, I don't have much doubt that it would be a success. They should have kept the condo/hotel tower (just build that parking!), maybe add a 12-screen movie theater (AMC or Cinemark), add jumbotrons (with ads for the Rockets, movie ads, etc.), and probably the most important, make stores accessible from the sidewalk. There should be two entrances, one in the inside corridor, and one on the sidewalk.

• Like 1

That's what happens when you cut so many damn corners. If the Pavilions looked like the first rendering they showed, I don't have much doubt that it would be a success. They should have kept the condo/hotel tower (just build that parking!), maybe add a 12-screen movie theater (AMC or Cinemark), add jumbotrons (with ads for the Rockets, movie ads, etc.), and probably the most important, make stores accessible from the sidewalk. There should be two entrances, one in the inside corridor, and one on the sidewalk.

MisterX strongly disagrees with your post! we should all stop our complaining b/c hey, at least the parking lots are gone! what an ungrateful lot around here....

:)

but that;s exactly what should have happened. the developers were able to turn what should have been a transformative block of cbd into what has amounted to little more than an outdoor mall with an office building attached. i'm glad the city is trying to force them to open up the sidewalks. i mean the fact that they didn't do that to begin with (as shown in their own renderings) is almost mindblowing. probably the single biggest goal of a development like this (outside of turning a profit) is to increase pedestrian activity, to draw the surrounding people to the complex... and they literally went in the other direction. the developer deserves to be broke.

• Like 2

swtsig agrees with your post (no offense Trae). We should all keep up the complaining and then the developer will tear down this version of HP and build a new one just for disgruntled HAIFers. Seriously, if typing complaints on the internet about a project which has already been built can make HP be a better place to visit, then by all means keep typing and bitching.

I know HP could have been better, but besides the positive of replacing vacant lots, the other positive (a dirty word at HAIF) that might come out of HP not having the residential component COULD be that the near by vacant lots to the east of HP may one day be a draw to developers wanting to cash in on having residential proximity to HP. The hotels and condos that didn't get built on top of HP could very well be built next to HP and fill some vacant lots. Whereas if HP built hotels and residential, it might keep those other vacant lots empty forever.

Another positive (excuse my language) is that now there is something to work with on those blocks. Really, it is a miracle that anything was built there at all - especially now. Instead of discussing ways to make HP better we could very well be discussing what pie in the sky ideas we all WISH somebody would build on those 3 vacant blocks which could have easily remained empty for the rest of our lives.

Yes. I'm glad HP is there. Now at least there is something to fight about. Maybe swtsig's idea of what HP should have been will go up on the 3 vacant lots directly east of HP.

Edited by Mister X
  • Like 2

I'm glad Pavilions is there, but why should that stop be from bitching about missed opportunities that the developer had?

Go ahead. Just see where that gets you.

Maybe you can get the city to force HP to get jumbotrons - it couldn't hurt. Maybe with enuf bitching they will even build a big residential tower on top. Maybe the broke developers can start printing their own money.

I personally think it's a bit late for crying over it, but you never know. While your at it - see if you can get 10 more stories put on top of Hess Tower too.

• Like 1

Go ahead. Just see where that gets you.

Maybe you can get the city to force HP to get jumbotrons - it couldn't hurt. Maybe with enuf bitching they will even build a big residential tower on top. Maybe the broke developers can start printing their own money.

I personally think it's a bit late for crying over it, but you never know. While your at it - see if you can get 10 more stories put on top of Hess Tower too.

It's an Internet forum... What do you expect? I hope the pavillions stays healthy enough to not become vacant. The lots south of it could spur promising developemnts in the future, and will hopefully feed each other the volume.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Books-A-Million was paying $1900 for a huge space in Pavilions, and still wasn't making money. They said they were moving out and Pavilions cut them an even sweeter deal to stay. There's definitely no money for condos.

That big store is that cheap, can't be?!?!?

That's the price of a 3 bedroom apartment in some places.

what's the word on scott gertner's?

Walked by there last week, it's still under construction....you can see inside, it's pretty much a wide open space right now...not sure if that's how it will be when finished...also couldn't tell where the outdoor portion will be, assumed it was directly above, but couldnt see anything going on up there...

• Like 1