GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

I still think it's a shame the city didn't try and work harder with the developers to get a hotel in the original build. The Embassy Suites going up a few blocks away and the rumored LaQuinta also in the same vicinity prove that a hotel could have worked. It would have been great to have a Hampton Inn type of place attached to the Pavilions.

Not sure why a hotel would have made this more attractive. There is a Marriott across the street with 362 rooms. On the other end, there is a 399 room Four Seasons. There is a 350 room hotel under construction 2 blocks away. The 1,203 room Hilton Americas is 3 blocks to the east, and the 963 room Hyatt is 3 blocks to the west. If 3,277 hotel rooms within 1,000 feet of Houston Pavilions isn't enough, 300 more in the middle of it wouldn't fix the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, did anyone else notice the hair cut store across the street from 3 Forks in the parking garage? I noticed it there about a month ago but I wasn't sure if it had been there before... It would be awesome if the three other store fronts in that garage open up too so they can play off the pavilions for customers...

So does anyone know if this hair cut store was open after Houston Pavilions starting taking off or it has been there for some time? I am really hoping some more retail will open up in this garage...

Also, did anyone else notice the hair cut store across the street from 3 Forks in the parking garage? I noticed it there about a month ago but I wasn't sure if it had been there before... It would be awesome if the three other store fronts in that garage open up too so they can play off the pavilions for customers...

So does anyone know if this hair cut store was open after Houston Pavilions starting taking off or it has been there for some time? I am really hoping some more retail will open up in this garage...

Are you referring to the "Beauty News" salon? I think that's been there for quite a while, at least since I started working downtown two years ago.

Was that for lunch or dinner?

Available any time on the regular menu, quite a bit cheaper than most of their other steaks.

Menu [PDF]: http://www.iiiforks.com/menu/houston_dinner_menu_11-02-09.pdf

There's also a bar menu that looks like this:

Kobe Beef Sliders ($3.75)

Bleu Cheese Beef Croustades ($5)

III Forks Chips ($5)

Tuna Skewers ($5)

Cured Blackberry Duck

Golden Sea Scallops ($5)

Tenderloin-tini ($9)

If I remember correctly this bar menu stuff is available at the bar any time, but if I'm misremembering its happy hour food, 3-7. Pretty sure its any time, though.

Happy hour, cocktails are 2 dollars off, which made my Manhattan $6.50. They also have a "iii Forks Martini" for $5 which is in fact just a Cosmopolitan.

Are you referring to the "Beauty News" salon? I think that's been there for quite a while, at least since I started working downtown two years ago.

Yes and dang... i was hoping HP was starting to influence (retail wise) the surrounding area.. thanks.

That being written, every time I see the name of the restaurant I can't help but reading "Ill Forks" - like some sort of food poisoning scheme..

Haha, makes me think of the Beastie Boys, License to Ill. Between the overly clever name and the meat-tini, I'm leaning toward it being a restaurant chain based out of either Phoenix, Denver or Dallas. Lucky for us, someone is keeping menu cliches from the late 90s alive! My guess is, it's a tiny portion of shaved tenderloin served in a martini glass.

If I'm wrong and it really is some sort of Willy Wonka-ish meat drink, I would be totally impressed.

I was thinking the exact opposite... to the point, if I wasn't already married, I'd consider asking that steak on a date.

I second that. I already eat but seeing that makes me want to eat again. I hope there are some cattle roaming around the heights, if so they are toast.

There's a group called "Pup Squad" that is right across the way from Yao's restaurant that is doing really good work trying to find homes for shelter dogs. Please check them out if you are in the hunt for some awesome four legged companionship.

Any chance they carry pit bulls?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just walked past HP and Polk Street Pub is now open. I didn't know they'd have what looks to be a full kitchen. If I had time would've stopped in to take a look, but apparently word is out because there was a pretty decent amount of people in there.

The best part about it is that--wait for it--it actually had a door open to Polk Street!!! biggrin.gif

EDIT: Website here: http://www.polkstreetpubhouston.com/

Kitchen open until 11 pm everyday!

Edited by GovernorAggie

• 1 month later...