GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

• 2 weeks later...

man, what a botched project this became... three blocks of prime CBD land all for an outdoor mall and an office building. the developers had a chance to make this a very solid contribution to downtown but really dropped the ball here. if it wasn't for NRG this project would've traded hands already or would've gone back to the lender by now. to think they had all that perimeter sidewalk space and willingly chose to not take advantage of it.

:blink:

Edited by swtsig
  • Like 1

man, what a botched project this became... three blocks of prime CBD land all for an outdoor mall and an office building. the developers had a chance to make this a very solid contribution to downtown but really dropped the ball here. if it wasn't for NRG this project would've traded hands already or would've gone back to the lender by now. to think they had all that perimeter sidewalk space and willingly chose to not take advantage of it.

Yes, the 3 empty surface lots that were there for 75 years were much nicer. I miss them so much. The citizens of Houston were much better off before HP ruined downtown forever.

Edited by Mister X
  • Like 3

I do wonder if any folks involved in the project questioned the idea of designing an uninviting and well-hidden narrow alleyway as the main storefront. Maybe they were afraid to speak up, the way folks involved in the production of the first couple Star Wars prequels were too afraid to tell George Lucas how terrible some of his ideas were. Who knows. Bad ideas are followed through all the time.

I agree it is a missed opportunity for downtown, even though it did at least eat up a few surface lots. But I've been to HP two times, and unfortunately could never find a reason to go back. Actually, I forget it's even there most of the time.

• 1 month later...

from an e-mail i got

"VIP MEMBERSHIPS

SCOTT GERTNER’S AT HOUSTON PAVILIONS

Of course, you are all VIPs to me, but if you really want to slip by the velvet rope, get your 2011 VIP Diamond Membership to Scott Gertner’s at Houston Pavilions. You get a $200 discount from the yearly $1,000 fee if you purchase one before April 15th. As a VIP Diamond Member, you will never wait in line, you will get VIP table reservations and VIP rooftop cabana reservations. You also get access to the VIP Lounge and Balcony. And, there’s more...advance notice of all upcoming specials and events and a VIP invitation to the grand opening party! Scott Gertner’s at Houston Pavilions opens this spring/summer!

THE 411: Scott Gertner’s at Houston Pavilions is located on the third floor above center court. 713.303.4839. For VIP memberships, contact Cindy Gertner at cgertner@aol.com. scottgertner.com"

• 1 month later...

The board of the Downtown Redevelopment Authority has agreed to release, in the form of a loan, the last of $3.3 million in funds promised to developers of the Houston Pavilions.

Other covenants to be worked into the modified agreement include requiring that developers enhance the exterior of the project with streetscapes, awnings and outdoor eating areas and that a Houston Police Department special operations storefront be placed in the complex.

The city believes additional amenities and streetscape improvements would make the site more attractive and “help entice more customers to explore the development’s shopping and entertainment options,” city spokeswoman Janice Evans said.

The city also believes the Pavilions is a convenient location for a police storefront and more visible than the former one on Preston, she said.

Naveen Jaggi, a local retail broker with CB Richard Ellis, noted that amenities to encourage outdoor eating and gathering are critical to creating a sense of space.

“For retail success you need personality and a sense of energy,” he said. “The city, it appears, feels as if The Pavilions is a bit sterile and needs to promote more outside and invigorating environment. The request for an HPD storefront is certainly not desirable from a landlord perspective but the city wants to promote downtown retail as a safe environment for families and tourists, so the request is logical.”

http://blog.chron.co...ance-from-city/

Anyone been to HP lately? Haven't been since winter.

Funny how they describe it as a bit stale, haha.

Edited by lockmat