GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

• 1 month later...

While $100 ($0.02 x 5000) doesn't sound like much, I think that is what Books-a-Million is paying in rent this year.

And now that Borders is going away, Books A Million may be getting more bang for its buck out of its HP location.

Nah, it will tank as people just sit on the couches and read the books for free and look important while they suck up the free wi-fi on their laptops.

My book buying habits have changed considerably in the last two years. Almost everything I buy goes to my kindle, but things that I use for research I keep in actual book form and keep on my shelf.

Unless they change it up the business model, the popular bookstores are going to go the way of blockbuster.

edit: damn auto correct

Edited by ricco67

Nah, it will tank as people just sit on the couches and read the books for free and look important while they suck up the free wi-fi on their laptops.

My book buying habits have changed considerably in the last two years. Almost everything I buy goes to my kindle, but things that I use for research I keep in actual book form and keep on my shelf.

Unless they change it up the business model, the popular bookstores are going to go the way of blockbuster.

This is correct. I think the only book stores left that we will see in the future will be the ones that sell the rare, expensive books.

This is correct. I think the only book stores left that we will see in the future will be the ones that sell the rare, expensive books.

Yes, the only bookstores I go to are Half Price Books (Old and Interesting section only) and Quarter Price Books on Shepherd, which has so many amazing gems. Also, places that sell technical reference books, like Brown Book Shop downtown. http://www.brownbookshop.com/

Yes, the only bookstores I go to are Half Price Books (Old and Interesting section only) and Quarter Price Books on Shepherd, which has so many amazing gems. Also, places that sell technical reference books, like Brown Book Shop downtown. http://www.brownbookshop.com/

I'm rather curious as to how business is while everyone going to "E" route. To my knowledge, these books aren't exactly what I would call "light reading."

I used to work in a Hastings and it was clear they are really trending away from being exclusively a book and video store to something else as a response to technology.

Our store got a HUGE new section selling everything from T-shirts, guitars and music gear, memorabilia, etc. They even had skateboard decks. To add this they dramatically shrunk the DVD area. They had a lot of stuff you'd find in a Hot Topic, or perhaps a more family-friendly version of Spencer's Gifts. Most of this merchandise would appeal to teenagers or college students.

To me this makes a lot of sense, as Hastings as a chain is really prevalent in smaller cities and towns like say, Clovis, NM. They'd have no other bricks and mortar competition selling this kind of merchandise in places like that.

Compare this to your typical Borders. Whole floors of dead tree. Books, books and more books. Expensive newly printed ones like you wouldn't spend money on if the local Half-Price had it. Its where you go to kill time when you are shopping with someone of the opposite sex who wants to look in another mall store you find boring, but not actually buy anything.

Edited by zaphod

Several of the news articles analyzing the Borders collapse said that because Barnes and Noble got to work on the Kindle and an online presence sooner, B&N adapted to modern times better than Borders did.

I'm not sure how Books A Million is adapting. They had to have done something that prevented them from collapsing like Borders did.

Also Downtown and Katy Mills are Books A Million's only locations in the Houston area.

Edited by VicMan

• 2 months later...

Would be nice. I always wonder about these sorts of grand plans though.

I think the thing i like most about this, being that it is actually happening, is the widening of the sidewalks around the pavilions. The building/complex really does need a more inviting exterior, hopefully this will encourage sidewalk seating, etc.

The rest of it, who knows. Would be nice if the Sakowitz building did actual renovate for retail. It's such a bizarre sight to see a building like that, and look inside to only see parking.

Would be nice if the Sakowitz building did actual renovate for retail. It's such a bizarre sight to see a building like that, and look inside to only see parking.

I kind of like it bizzare, to be honest. I only wish that they'd do a better job with bird control.

As for the downtown plans, I only hope that people understand that the difference between a sketch as a vision, a plan as a framework, and a financially feasible proposal.

What a fun, exciting, potentially positive game-changing idea for downtown Houston.

The people here will absolutely DESPISE it. The last thing we need is any fancy-shmancy ideas getting us all worked up. We must never lose touch with that CAN'T DO attitude. No dreaming allowed. No exceptions!

• Like 1

Good to see they stole my idea from 3-4 years ago. I called Dallas Street as a potential destination street in one of those Dallas/Houston comparison threads (I think it is locked now). It has good potential with what is already there. Some TLC along the sidewalks could entice some movement by retailers and restaurantuers. I agree with Niche, though the Downtown Management District does actually have a funding source.