GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

much obliged as per the update urbannizer.  however, this is all very unique / strange / perplexing to me.  i certainly do not intend to make a big deal about this, but this proposal for new orleans has taken me for a loop!  it was indeed my foremost impression, that the HOTEL ALESSANDRA slated as per houston's GREENSTREET development.. was supposed to catapult houston into the next century of true high end boutique hotel luxury.. unparalleled.

we are all grown-ups here HAIF.  none of us are hereby severely naive when it comes to an upsurge of good strong quality development.  nonetheless, many of us are quite well aware that our fair city of houston, has indeed waited long enough for the true high end hospitality components, to finally wake up and take note of our most wonderful bayou city.  HOTEL ALESSANDRA, GREENSTREET, was our golden key!  yes, we have a FOUR SEASONS.. yes, we have a ST. REGIS.. yes, we have a HOUSTONIAN.. but those hotels have indeed been around for such a long time that they really don't harbor the all important UBER HIGH END effect.  we can now thank god for HOTEL GRANDUCA / HOTEL SORRELLA and such.. for these formidable components are finally placing houston's hospitality centers back upon the map.  

please do not misinterpret my concern here.  i absolutely love new orleans, la!  heck, i was actually born in lafayette, la.  the city of new orleans, has hereby suffered a great deal.. as per the last few decades.  massive hurricanes, tornadoes, etc..  that fair city deserves to re-establish itself in lieu of so much negative adversity.  however, i was hereby raised in our great state of texas.  i currently live in downtown houston, and i stand as a living witness to the ups and downs that our own fair city has had to endure.  THIS IS OUR TIME... and we deserve this opportunity as well as anyone!  new orleans, is just a few miles down the highway from us.  upon my view, it just doesn't make sense for the developers to construct an exclusive uber high end hotel slated for downtown houston... and make it much bigger, taller, better, and much more sophisticated in downtown new orleans.  i mean what next... DALLAS?  

i am most certain that by now, many HAIFER'S are indeed well aware of just how much i value and love our fair city of houston.  i am just tired of us not getting our fair shake!  we have waited far too long for our first W HOTEL.  some have stated that we may never acquire a RITZ CARLTON again.  not to mention many of the other hotel brands that are popping up all over the austin, dallas, and san antonio markets.  and now we are finally preparing ourselves as per the construction of a super high end hotel that shall render to us.. the all important polish that we have been longing for.   and suddenly we learn that there shall be a much better one proposed right down the highway for new orleans.  maybe it's just me, but something is just not right here!  yes, i am pissed about this!  therefore, let me have it HAIF!  maybe at some point, i shall calm down.....  

is it just me, or does the hotel proposal for new orleans sound a bit taller, fun, and much more sophisticated than our GREENSTREET hotel alessandra proposal? i was under the impression that the alessandra name was a bit exclusive to houston. suddenly, it appears that this is just a bit to close for comfort. i was really looking forward to this particular fabulous project. well, now i don't know...

I wouldn't be concerned with New Orleans having a Hotel Alessandra. It's one of 5 bids and the renovated WTC could easily become a Hilton Conrad, Godfrey, Andaz, or Four Season's branded hotel

As for whom would have the better Hotel Alessandra - remember that the Houston-version will have a glass retractable-roof sky lobby with a jazz bar over looking a pool ...all located 25 stories up amongst a skyline view that New Orleans does not have, nor will it have these amenities. If somehow the Woodbine/Monday/Alessandra bid won, it would be New Orleans that is envious of our Alessandra.

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 2

oct.news.ITM-e37d58cf.jpeg?ver=141530565

heck, they may even acquire a W HOTEL before we do.

very nice new orleans...

New Orleans has a W Hotel...or did.  New Orleans and Houston (downtowns at least) aren't on the same planet when it comes to hospitality.

What is the obsession with the W brand?

What is the obsession with the W brand?

I was in one of the first W Hotels when it opened in San Francisco in 2000. Very hip, very cool, very much ambient music and subdued colors. The problem is everyone else has seen what was done with the W and is imitating it. I'm guessing the ZaZa and the Sorella have the same stylistic points, and I'm anxious to see what the Indigo offers. The Derek is good, but very hip-hop. You almost expect to see the visiting teams that are playing the Rockets there.

NBA teams stay at the Four Seasons. $$$ > Posing. 

I thought they stayed at the JW Marriott on Westheimer? Or was that Rockets @ the Compaq Center times?

I was in one of the first W Hotels when it opened in San Francisco in 2000. Very hip, very cool, very much ambient music and subdued colors. The problem is everyone else has seen what was done with the W and is imitating it. I'm guessing the ZaZa and the Sorella have the same stylistic points, and I'm anxious to see what the Indigo offers. The Derek is good, but very hip-hop. You almost expect to see the visiting teams that are playing the Rockets there.

I sincerely do not think ZaZa is trying to imitate the W. The ZaZa is like the Bombay Company/Pier 1 on steroids, and the W is Crate & Barrel. Hotel Derek is a dirty free for all. 

All black people are cool. Just like all white people and Asian and Hispanic and all races are cool.

Except Kim Jong Un.

He may be a homicidal tyrant, but there's no denying he's a fashion icon. Where do you think Macklemore got his idea for his 'famous' haircut?

dear-leader-haircut.jpg

macklemore-haircut-5.jpg

• Like 1