Camden McGowen Station & Midtown Park At 2727 Travis St.

Subdude

8 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

Camden probably had it for them as contingency all along. Money's still going to the same people. This should get more foot traffic and be a better backdrop as other have said, although Camden doesn't get to advertise their new building.

I imagine you are correct that they had this contingency in mind all along.  But it's not correct to say the money is still going to the same people.  Camden does not own Midtown Park.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Pragmatist said:

Long-range forecasts are hinting at cooler temperatures and below average rainfall for the period starting next week through February 10, but forecasting that far out can be hit and miss.

I took one meteorology class in college so I'm what you can call an expert and can confirm. From what I learned up to 5 days out is pretty accurate, 5-7 is somewhat accurate, and 7+ is mostly a guess. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, cloud713 said:

Yeah, but a parking lot.. really? I could see that for the 2004 super bowl, but I thought we were finally starting to shed our parking lot identity.. Tinsley Park/Buffalo Bayou would of been a great spot with a nice backdrop.

The viewers on TV won't notice it's a parking lot. They'll (probably) see a backdrop with the basketball park, or the skyline. It will be immensely easier for the crews to set things up too.

11 hours ago, jmitch94 said:

I took one meteorology class in college so I'm what you can call an expert and can confirm. From what I learned up to 5 days out is pretty accurate, 5-7 is somewhat accurate, and 7+ is mostly a guess. 

I make the weather! All of this moisture coming up out of the Gulf is gonna push off to the east and hit Altoona.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

I imagine you are correct that they had this contingency in mind all along.  But it's not correct to say the money is still going to the same people.  Camden does not own Midtown Park.

I know they don't own the park, but I am speculating that they are involved enough in its construction that there is something on their end for the park hosting ESPN. Seems like too much of a coincidence that ESPN would go from one Camden-related site to another site owned by Camden. Although maybe all of the money (assuming there was money involved) was going to go to the Midtown Redevelopment Authority, and Campo just saw it as a chance to advertise his new building as backdrop, so he helped arrange the deal. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, CREguy13 said:

I'm a little surprised on how much criticism Ric Campo receives.  I don't think he feels like an idiot, considering he chaired the committee that got the Super Bowl here in the first place.

Shhhh!!! I already have my pitchfork out!

• Like 3

On 1/18/2017 at 11:00 AM, Naviguessor said:

^^ you mean this Tinsley Park? 

tinsley park.jpg

Haha, yep.. thats the one! To be honest, I had no idea it rained that much/there was flooding when I posted that. I was driving into the city after I made that post and found out about the rain/flooding from the highway notification signs saying that 288 was shut down/flooded. Oops.. But like hindesky mentioned in the convention center thread, you would think that the stage/grass area on top of the cistern would make for a nice, flood free alternative site. Ah well..

• Like 1

On 1/17/2017 at 11:20 PM, asubrt said:

Looks like they're not going to get it done in time. ESPN is moving their coverage downtown (to a parking lot!)

http://www.chron.com/sports/superbowl/article/ESPN-moving-Super-Bowl-set-downtown-10863962.php

So they moved the set from the site of Camden McGowen Station to the what would be the site of Camden Conte? 

Coincidental or did Campo figure into this decision? IMO that's a terrible site for ESPN. They went from a marina (last year) to a parking lot.

Why not Market Square, Fish Plaza, Bagby Park? If the needed a parking lot close to festivities, the parking lot north of Marriott Marquis (in front of GHP Building) would've been closer and better.

FWIW: ESPN's set location for SB38 was what became Discovery Green. 

0131042.jpg

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, tigereye said:

0131042.jpg

It's hard to believe the GRB was ever that ugly... and it looked that way just two years ago. Looks like a 1980's retail mall in the Balkans somewhere.

Yeah, we're probably too hard on Ric Campo around here. I am as guilty as anyone, mostly because of the traveshamockery that is the Superblock layout.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, gene said:

wow...that was even back in the ugly days of GRB ;) my how you have grown up GRB (and Discovery Green)!!! #soproud !!! :) 

Here's a better look at GRB for SB38

super_bowl_800x600.jpg

Speaking of ESPN, found this article from last year on the best Super Bowl event ever (from SB38).

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/14621857/inside-best-super-bowl-event-ever-houston-playboy-party

• Like 6

1 hour ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Think about the amount of foot traffic that's going to flood Midtown once this is finished and the new Whole Foods on Elgin. 

Yep, plus the new high rise with retail going up across Main St from the park. Good times for Midtown indeed.

• Like 6

The park site looks like it would need about at least 6+ more weeks to be finished IMHO. They never worked weekends so it never looked like they would finish in time for ESPN to move in. ESPN is just now starting to set up their site downtown and won't be broadcasting from there till Wednesday. I was told the on air talent is working the Pro Bowl now. 

• Like 2

On 1/28/2017 at 6:11 PM, hindesky said:

The park site looks like it would need about at least 6+ more weeks to be finished IMHO. They never worked weekends so it never looked like they would finish in time for ESPN to move in. ESPN is just now starting to set up their site downtown and won't be broadcasting from there till Wednesday. I was told the on air talent is working the Pro Bowl now. 

IMHO that's ridiculous. They should have had this park ready at least a week before SB kickoff. 

• Like 1

Broadcast locations:

Wednesday through Friday, SportsCenter and ESPN’s NFL shows will originate from downtown Houston – adjacent to the Toyota Center between Austin, Bell, LaBranch and Leeland Streets, while Mike & Mike, First Take and Outside the Lines will be live from nearby Lucky’s Pub. Fans are invited to view live programming from both locations.

Additionally, ESPN Radio’s The Stephen A. Smith Show and Russillo & Kanell will broadcast from Radio Row at the George R. Brown Convention Center.

Also found this article which is a bit old but didn't see it linked on this thread:

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2017/01/20/espn-s-houstonsuper-bowl-broadcast-location-to.html

Nothing definitive on why they moved, just some political weasel words:

“Our ESPN production team determined that it was best for us to be in downtown Houston near the NFL media center for Super Bowl,” ESPN spokesman Bill Hofheimer said in a statement to KHOU. “The people of Midtown were very accommodating, and we still plan to highlight this area as part of our Super Bowl week coverage.”

• Like 1