Camden McGowen Station & Midtown Park At 2727 Travis St.

Subdude

2 hours ago, kbates2 said:

Are any of those invasive?  They are trying to get rid of the invasive ones.

No they are not, although birds do tend to spread Silverberry seeds I do not see the tree growing outside of people's yards.

The one that seems to grow like weeds is Chinese Tallow. It grows in concrete, cracks in asphalt, salty soil, wherever. It produces massive amounts of seeds that spring up quickly. Cutting the tree down to the ground will not kill it. Even if you cut the tree and dig up the stump, each root will form is own tree. 

On top of being almost impossible to get rid of it, the leaf litter poisons the soil making it difficult to grow most plants in the soil beneath it. So it is easy to grow anywhere and once established, it spreads and choke out other plants from growing. It's a pretty tree with beautiful fall foliage but because of its growth the wood is really week and usually people who offer to cut trees for free never extend that offer if the tree is Tallow. Anyone wanna come cut down mine? 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, thatguysly said:

Remember the rush to get a portion of this ready for the Super Bowl so they could host one of the TV networks in the park? After they missed that window, they have given up on finishing anytime soon.

there is a difference between getting it done right and giving up. I'm assuming that after the deadline was missed (which lets be honest was next to impossible) they probably had to go over everything that was previously done to make sure it was done correctly because of the rush job. Then take into account having to rework construction schedules with the contractor and owner, and then finally settling down and getting back on the job. Its an ordeal and we should credit that they are back on the job at all.

Rushed production and construction schedules is actually a major problem in this industry right now and I can't even imagine the pressure both contractor and architect were under to meet an insane deadline. Working on such a project right now. For any future clients. Just because we work in digital software doesn't mean it requires less time to do a job. Just because contractors use better equipment doesn't mean they require less time to do the job.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Luminare said:

there is a difference between getting it done right and giving up. I'm assuming that after the deadline was missed (which lets be honest was next to impossible) they probably had to go over everything that was previously done to make sure it was done correctly because of the rush job. Then take into account having to rework construction schedules with the contractor and owner, and then finally settling down and getting back on the job. Its an ordeal and we should credit that they are back on the job at all.

Rushed production and construction schedules is actually a major problem in this industry right now and I can't even imagine the pressure both contractor and architect were under to meet an insane deadline. Working on such a project right now. For any future clients. Just because we work in digital software doesn't mean it requires less time to do a job. Just because contractors use better equipment doesn't mean they require less time to do the job.

I agree with you. I just thought it was interesting because of the rush at the time. I look forward to this one being completed as it has really been a fantastic addition to that part of town and what was there before it started.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone heard anything further about the restaurant pad(s) for lease on the McGowen Street side? 
Also, are there manufactured buildings that would be suitable for this space, or will it more likely be site-built?

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/28/2018 at 0:58 PM, BeerNut said:

Went by yesterday and it was covered.  Anyone know why?

The covering is off now and the concrete in front of it has been replaced. I only took a quick look but there appears to be lights in the sidewalk now that will shine up on the mural. At least that's my guess...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:59 AM, dbigtex56 said:

Has anyone heard anything further about the restaurant pad(s) for lease on the McGowen Street side? 
Also, are there manufactured buildings that would be suitable for this space, or will it more likely be site-built?

2 hours ago, corbs315 said:

There are several little, unique looking features under construction on the north side (like a fountain, etc). Have there been any renderings that include what the finished north side is supposed to look like?

I suppose in part the final appearance will depend on what sort of buildings are constructed on the restaurant pads. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
6 hours ago, cspwal said:

The plaza on McGowen is taking forever.  They finished the park 2 years ago now

I was just thinking that but didn't want to look for this thread :)

What is taking so long? What is it even supposed to look like?

Also any ledes on what the restaurant is? I saw something about Common Bond getting a midtown location, so I was curious if that might be it

I walk by almost every day and on most days there are contractors. But nothing ever gets finished. It reminds me of the lousy painters I had a while back. The worst part is that the sidewalks are out of service forcing people to walk in the street. Also, the new tenants have taken to slipping under the light rail divider as they rush out of the building to catch a train. An accident waiting to happen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brooklyn173 said:

I walk by almost every day and on most days there are contractors. But nothing ever gets finished. It reminds me of the lousy painters I had a while back. The worst part is that the sidewalks are out of service forcing people to walk in the street. Also, the new tenants have taken to slipping under the light rail divider as they rush out of the building to catch a train. An accident waiting to happen.

Sounds like negligence on both the part of the developer for not ensuring pedestrians have an alternate right-of-way as well as the city for allowing this to continue.  

19 hours ago, cspwal said:

The plaza on McGowen is taking forever.  They finished the park 2 years ago now

I agree.  Honestly, it’s astounding how slowly Camden is finishing this project (maybe with the exception of the Dolce Living development on W Gray, but it’s close!).  Portions of the sidewalk have been closed on Travis, McGowen and Main forever!  Question for you experts on this topic:  Is there a financial strategy to drawing out construction soooooooo long?

9 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Camden McGowen Station?  I think it was completed almost a year ago.

The plaza on its north end has been slowly under construction for probably 2 years.  Every once in a while they might lay one more brick, add one nail to a form, or pour a wheelbarrow full of concrete, and then take a break, as there is continuous progress, but it's extremely slow.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rechlin said:

The plaza on its north end has been slowly under construction for probably 2 years.  Every once in a while they might lay one more brick, add one nail to a form, or pour a wheelbarrow full of concrete, and then take a break, as there is continuous progress, but it's extremely slow.

Yes, but I'm pretty sure that is separate from the apartment complex. I think the plaza is being developed/built by the Midtown Management District