Camden McGowen Station & Midtown Park At 2727 Travis St.

Subdude

7 minutes ago, jgriff said:

You think this is slow? 1916 West Gray is 6 years into construction. Still not done!

Drove past there a few days ago. They have made a lot of progress since switching to a different contractor. Looks like the only thing left is site work and interiors.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Yes, but I'm pretty sure that is separate from the apartment complex. I think the plaza is being developed/built by the Midtown Management District

That would explain a lot.  Midtown Management District is anything but efficient at project management.  The Caroline St. re-do is moving along at a snail’s pace.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2019 at 10:28 PM, nonenadazilch said:

Sounds like negligence on both the part of the developer for not ensuring pedestrians have an alternate right-of-way as well as the city for allowing this to continue.  

Reported this to 311. They forwarded to code enforcement. Doubt anything comes of it but hey what was ever wrong with complaining?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, corbs315 said:

Reported this to 311. They forwarded to code enforcement. Doubt anything comes of it but hey what was ever wrong with complaining?

As inconvenient as it is to have that sidewalk closed for so long, I'm pretty sure they have a sidewalk closure permit. If not, code enforcement will just require them to apply for one or renew their expired one.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, hindesky said:

Sucks I have to ride on the street on Main with cars tailgating me till I get to the open sidewalk.

ydnDoBh.jpg

eu05njs.jpg

I think we can all agree that, yeah its taking forever to finish, but at least the whole superblock looks really good, and they are taking their time to get it right. Would suck if it took 10 years and it look terrible.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/17/2017 at 8:29 AM, urbanize713 said:

Yep, two actually. One restaurant and one kiosk.

HnlSiO5h.jpg

@gclass In the original drawings, it was supposed to be a "tree grove" and plaza.  At the corner of Travis and McGowen was supposed to be a restaurant, which they haven't even started by the looks of it

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/10/2019 at 6:30 PM, rechlin said:

After slowly laying bricks for what seems like a year, it looks like they've finally pretty much finished the brickwork around the fountains.  Not pictured -- the concrete for the sidewalk along Main has finally mostly been poured:

uQ6ZKN3.jpg

There's no way that's the finished product. It's an entire plaza of trip hazards...

• Like 4

5 hours ago, cspwal said:

@gclass In the original drawings, it was supposed to be a "tree grove" and plaza.  At the corner of Travis and McGowen was supposed to be a restaurant, which they haven't even started by the looks of it

If you look closer at that area and then the picture its pretty much exactly what they were intending. Instead of grass inside the brick loops they choose to make it an actual plaza instead. Probably a better move in the end.

4 minutes ago, phillip_white said:

There's no way that's the finished product. It's an entire plaza of trip hazards...

at most the loops are extruded by maybe 1". Doesn't really look like a tripping hazard.

13 minutes ago, Luminare said:

If you look closer at that area and then the picture its pretty much exactly what they were intending. Instead of grass inside the brick loops they choose to make it an actual plaza instead. Probably a better move in the end.

at most the loops are extruded by maybe 1". Doesn't really look like a tripping hazard.

As someone who has tripped on a polished concrete floor, anything can be a tripping hazard

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, cspwal said:

As someone who has tripped on a polished concrete floor, anything can be a tripping hazard

True. I don't think they count "chronic feet-shuffliing" as a disability though. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Brooklyn173 said:

My guess when I saw it was that they were laying out the contrast paving blocks and will cut them into the base paving blocks for a flat surface. Unless someone there is looking to subsidized the local lawyer community, you can't leave it as is now.

From my professional opinion. This is a whole lot of nothing

27 minutes ago, phillip_white said:

Speaking of disability, wheelchair access might be a better point than tripping hazard.

Considering that this must have passed TAS review (Texas Accessibility Standards), my original hypothesis of 1" was probably wrong and it probably is 1/2" transition with a 1:2 bevel at the top or this is a 1/4" with no bevel. Seeing as its being built and it probably passed review then its neither a tripping hazard nor is it inaccessible to wheelchairs. Case closed.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Timoric said:

In my are in Washington DC, we have a crumbling metro platform that isn't level with the trains and wheelchair users have an issue, it is long and expensive fix

https://www.wmata.com/about/news/Platform-Improvement-Project-Metro-announces-travel-options-website.cfm

Yeah, but what does this have to do with the price of tea in China? There is a misnomer that for something to be "accessible" than it means everything. That would be like saying every seat a Minute Maid Park has to be wheelchair accessible which would be insane as there are never going to be 25000 Handicap people in a given situation...ever. Same goes for plaza's, etc... The plaza in this case needs to be full ADA accessible from one point of entry and that is it (which is normally the closest approach from a given ADA parking spot). Thats about it. The transitions between blocks is (as I've stated before) most likely ADA compliant. Now this isn't targeted at you specifically @Timoric. All this hullabaloo just smells of people wanting to complain about something. Its fine to be critical, but this is a bit ridiculous, and I rather presume one of innocence until proven guilty than the reverse. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Brooklyn173 said:

My guess when I saw it was that they were laying out the contrast paving blocks and will cut them into the base paving blocks for a flat surface. Unless someone there is looking to subsidized the local lawyer community, you can't leave it as is now.

Upon further inspection, you are likely correct about cutting the darker blocks into the pavers below. If you look at the picture that launched a thousand comments, they have already installed concentric rings of pavers. So they probably laid the darker blocks out to mark the pavers, pull them out, and cut them. CASE CLOSED.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phillip_white said:

Upon further inspection, you are likely correct about cutting the darker blocks into the pavers below. If you look at the picture that launched a thousand comments, they have already installed concentric rings of pavers. So they probably laid the darker blocks out to mark the pavers, pull them out, and cut them. CASE CLOSED.

That would be an enormous waste of time. That is not something that is done in the field. Those are finished pavers. They aren't coming back up. You 'want' there to be something wrong. Its ok to be wrong. Does this have to be a conspiracy?