Camden McGowen Station & Midtown Park At 2727 Travis St.

Subdude

9 hours ago, Ctaf said:

Does anyone know why they decided to put the apartments at that end, instead of the park? With ESPN broadcasting from the park, it looks like they'll have a view of the apartments instead of the downtown skyline.

Well discussed in the earlier pages. Camden looking out for Camden. Visibility of the apartment complex and concern that its residents shouldn't have to walk a whole block to the rail stop trumped civic factors such as park layout and urban space. Didn't occur to anyone that a successful park actually fuels interest in apartments surrounding it, and that civic interest thus coincides with self-interest. Aversion to ground floor retail led to the bizarre little pocket park/restaurant area at the north end. It is what it is.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully ESPN has a plan B if this doesn't finish soon.  No one was working on Sunday. Campo might have egg on his face since he's part of the Super Bowl committee. Levy Park may be further along than this.

YSiPa8q.jpg

Southern portion of the apartments looks topped out.

UjuyJa4.jpg

• Like 6

5 hours ago, hindesky said:

Hopefully ESPN has a plan B if this doesn't finish soon.  No one was working on Sunday. Campo might have egg on his face since he's part of the Super Bowl committee. Levy Park may be further along than this.

Levy Park is further along (opens Jan 7th) but Midtown Park doesn't have as many features/complex design therefore I think it still has a chance. There's no way the apartments will be done by then. A few articles on the previous page mentioned both would be done in time for the big show.

Philip,

Outstanding work.

The birds-eye view of this area brings into perspective the dynamic growth of Midtown. It informs  the discussion providing everyone  insight into the growth pattern that has developed, the ramifications for future growth, and a more efficient and illuminating way to see the scope, scale and potential growth, the big picture. And what better way than by air to take it all in.

This video also suggests that they are well along, and into the final stages of construction of structures, paving, and plumbing. The shaping of the infill seems to be underway and  landscaping is not far off. Its amazing how fast crews can get grass, plants, shrubs and trees in the dirt. Well choreographed. Probably the main issue will be the timing of getting the grass in before winter gets here. Most grasses tend to go dormant in cold weather, so I imagine they'll seed it with  winter rye, for its  resistance to  cold weather, rapid growth, and its bright green  color for the cameras. All in all  It looks like its going to be a very successful  park, and much anticipated opening. I also wouldn't be surprised if they finished the facades of the  faces of this project for the illusion. It will  definitely help spur growth.

This tool seems to be something you should be able to market. Seems to me that this is the kind of tool that developers could use to sell projects, helpful to real estate investors in making more informed decisions and for city planners, providing them with a better way to understand and appreciate the dynamics of its current growth and the for future planning of this meteor.

Good luck! 

By the way I really liked the shot of the two rail cars  suggesting a curtain opening behind the trees.

Edited by bobruss
sentence addition
  • Like 4

omg i was just about to post that exact thing bobruss....love that shot of the two light rails passing each other...wow...please let light rail eventually make it to uptown...

there are rumors that the "dedicated bus lane" on Post Oak Blvd is really a precursor to the light rail eventually taking its place and i hope that is true.

amazing video!

gene

• Like 2

With the apartments to the northern end the park looks like it will have a more urban park feel, but both the park and the apartments would have benefited from the view if the apartments were on the southern end instead.

I hope someone comes in and builds a 40 story  tower right across the street and totally ruins Campos view.

• Like 3

The view thing doesn't get me so much. This is destined to be a vertical neighborhood, at least mid-rise vertical if not highrise vertical. Unless they had used the entire Superblock for a park (as would have happened in a perfect world), it's unlikely that you're going to see downtown from a small park in an urban neighborhood. If anything, building the park at the north end of the superblock on McGowen Street would have attracted Caydon or someone else to put a tower across the street, and then you definitely lose your view of downtown.

I think this will be a cool spot, despite all the misplanning. That drone video really gives a nice Old Houston vibe with all the prosaic mid-century buildings and mature trees in the area. If the Caydon tower comes to fruition across the street, we have liftoff.

13 hours ago, HoustonIsHome said:

With the apartments to the northern end the park looks like it will have a more urban park feel, but both the park and the apartments would have benefited from the view if the apartments were on the southern end instead.

I hope someone comes in and builds a 40 story  tower right across the street and totally ruins Campos view.

I think the idea of placing the apartments on the northern end has to do with how they can promote the units. By placing them on the north end of the park, you can up-charge the rooms with a downtown view and the ones with a park view. If they would have been built on the southern end, only one side would of had the park and the downtown views and the other side would be HCC (much harder to rent for a premium). 

• Like 8

I think they  felt like the closer to the rail stations the better for marketing, and your suggestion about skyline value and park view value also makes sense. I would have liked seeing a large six block park. It would have generated the kind of growth you see around Discovery Green, and created a park more the size midtown should have considering the number of residents within walking distance. Regardless Midtown will be getting a park and much larger than any future parks proposed for downtown. Last I heard is they were possibly going to find a quarter to a half of a block to be designated a new park for southwest downtown. Thats it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

914824.png

^^^ please allow us a moment to PRAY... that ESPN knew just what they were doing when they decided to use a midtown park that is currently under heavy construction as per their premier SUPERBOWL broadcasting site.  this site appears to require at least another 3x months of solid work in order to be completed.  heck, the SB is scheduled for 05 FEB 2017, and ESPN shall need a bit of time to set up their props and gear.  let us all pray for midtown park.......

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 3:51 PM, phillip_white said:

It doesn't appear that much has changed on the park end, but the apartments are coming along nicely.  They have scaffolding in place on the Southern end of the building.  My guess is they'll try to have that end looking tidy for the ESPN broadcast while they finish up the rest of it.

What music is this? It reminds me of Satie's Gymnopedie No. 1.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 1