Camden McGowen Station & Midtown Park At 2727 Travis St.

Subdude

• 3 weeks later...

Taken tonight.  Looks like some of you devout Camdenites may have been right about this project going vertical ASAP.  I'm not drinking the kool-aid yet, but I'm starting to believe in miracles.

post-12478-0-25288700-1449551585_thumb.j

post-12478-0-80068400-1449551623_thumb.j

Btw, sorry for the poor quality.  I missed twilight by about 30 minutes.

edit: double pics posted.

Edited by phillip_white
  • Like 5

It is a shame that it won't look at the downtown skyline

I was curious about what it will look like and found the most recent article about it, from the groundbreaking in May

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2015/05/officials-midtown-superblock-to-be-completed-in-time-for-super-bowl/

The beautiful skyline view

midtown2.jpg

I can't tell very much from the plan they have on there (does anyone have a hires version?) but it looks like there will at least be a plaza on the downtown side.

• Like 2

Just like Discovery Green and Market Square park have been developed to keep the parks active and the public involved I'm sure this park like the other Midtown park will have activities, dog walking areas and other

events to keep the park full of midtown inhabitants. By creating these events and restaurants and other

activities in the newly redesigned parks downtown, it has been proven to be an effective way to keep the

street population away.

• Like 3

Who kicks people when they are down in life? Homeless people have every legal right to be and go anywhere as anyone else.

In fact, I prefer homeless people over santimonious narcissists who move into the city with their suburban mentalities of exclusion. Speakin of taking and never giving anything back...these types of sentiments are worse than homeless people. A moral homelessness, if you will.

Make sure to hate and aschew the homeless at church this weekend.

Edited by nyc_tex
  • Like 4

Who kicks people when they are down in life? Homelss people have every legal right to be and go anywhere.

In fact, I prefer homeless people over santimonious, narcissists who move into the city with their suburban mentalities. Speakinof taking and never giving anything back. Make sure to hate and aschew the homeless at church this weekend.

Terrance Jones

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2013/07/31/rockets-terrence-jones-arrested-for-allegedly-kicking-homeless-man/

• Like 5

Who kicks people when they are down in life? Homeless people have every legal right to be and go anywhere as anyone else.

In fact, I prefer homeless people over santimonious narcissists who move into the city with their suburban mentalities of exclusion. Speakin of taking and never giving anything back...these types of sentiments are worse than homeless people. A moral homelessness, if you will.

I didn't take anyone's comment as "kicking" the homeless. I think people just want to see these new urban parks be successful and it has often happened that a significant lingering homeless population drives other people away and leads to the park being neglected by those in charge of taking care of it.

That being said, I will concede that Houstonians and Americans in general are more easily scared by the homeless and have more trouble coexisting with them than other places I've lived, and this is not something to be proud of.

Last, the comment about churches was petty; churches do more than anyone to help the homeless. If you are going to point fingers and accuse people of "moral homelessness," better make sure that you are doing more than those churches.

• Like 1

I do not have problems with people living on the streets and refusing all assistance offered to them. I do have a problem  with them urinating and defecating wherever and whenever they please.  I have been on metro buses where passengers ( mainly urban and black )gave up rows of seats to get away from the smell. You seem to think folks in the city have no problems with this and it is only suburbanites . You are very wrong.

• Like 5

I really love the HCC building. I read some comments on it on a Chron article about Houston's ugliest buildings (when looking for the Godzilla architect), and everyone said it looked like a prison. I know it's no LA Water Works but it has style and the park & apartments will have great views of it.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

so many things bother me about this crazy statement...as no one is saying that homeless people cant go anywhere they want, but they shouldnt be able to pee, poo, sleep, loiter where us with nice apartments cant  :blink: (there is a ton of great resources out there for homeless people and when able or when they are receptive i actually take the time to say hi and tell them about them when the opportunity presents itself...i hate that we take care of other countries before we take care of our own and homelessness truly makes me sad, as i cannot image just how horrible that is and dont want to)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

According to Swamplot, permits for "a 4,297-sq.-ft. pavilion, a ticket canopy, and a bathroom building" have been approved, as well as "broader sitework".  They liked Hindesky's photo (and gave him credit)

Here's the site plans for reference (I hadn't seen zoomed in versions)

midtown-park-2015-siteplan.jpg

midtown-park-2015-closeup.jpg

midtown-park-2015-closeup-2.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...