George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

3 hours ago, Mattie said:

Do you think the convention center district would be the first choice over Market Square?

More likely it will be the Market Square District but you must consider the lack of space there. The only large plots available are the Chase bank drive-thru &

the Old Post Office. I'm inclined to believe these blocks will eventually have

skyscrapers built. HEB is currently building out their Buffalo Heights store, which is only a few minutes away down Washington Ave.The GRB/Eado area can

use a high profile supermarket. I've got nothing against Kroger, the Cullen and I believe at Polk store is a dump. It's also too far, HEB would be a great fit for the

GRB Discovery Green/Eado district.

One thing about the downtown vs. uptown discussion is the homeless situation. Huge difference between those two districts. I’d say Uptown has a cleaner presence in general. 

I know this subject is highly controversial. That, I mean the homeless situation.

Caydon will be facing this in a year. Some parts of Main Street are just trashy. No offense.

Persons experiencing homelessness tend to be near the overpasses, seldom do they set up camp far from the highways. To me, the major areas of downtown (Market Square, Theater District, Discovery Green, etc.) do not see large amounts of this activity.

As time goes on, with the proposed demolition of Pierce elevated, continued Midtown development, the sinking of 59, and the proposed highway cap near the convention center/ball park, many of these camps will have to relocate to other, less developed sections of the city. 

That being said, the citizens of Houston need to be continually taking steps to assist these people instead of pretending as though they don't exist or are anything less than human.

Uptown may look "cleaner" to some extent but it's just not a walkable area in my opinion.  Downtown is more dense and walkable and you have the rail lines ... it feels more like a "city" and is getting even better with the population surge.  Uptown to me just means traffic and big avenues / boulevards.  I live in the GRB / soccer stadium area and love how I can just walk to so many things or take the rail if i want... don't need my car as much. 

Edited by HtownWxBoy

12 hours ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

One thing about the downtown vs. uptown discussion is the homeless situation. Huge difference between those two districts. I’d say Uptown has a cleaner presence in general. 

I know this subject is highly controversial. That, I mean the homeless situation.

Caydon will be facing this in a year. Some parts of Main Street are just trashy. No offense.

The Main Street corridor does have seedy sections, but it is QUICKLY turning a corner.  The new high rises in Midtown, Rice’s pending “Innovation Zone”, Midtown Park and the probable host of other future developments will collectively push the homeless away and make Main Street a blindingly bright light in this town.  Fortunately, the developers investing here have the vision to see this area’s potential instead of accepting that it will always be a haven for homeless.  The greater problem is that the homeless will just migrate to some other underdeveloped part of Midtown or other neighborhood once Main Street is gentrified. 

49 minutes ago, treblelino said:

This has to be the shortest, dullest W I've ever seen. I hope the design is different and taller.

The garage was designed and built to only support so many stories and I would imagine they’re building as tall as they can. 

29 minutes ago, Mattie said:

The garage was designed and built to only support so many stories and I would imagine they’re building as tall as they can. 

Yep.  And I would further imagine that the final building design changes will have significant constraints too as the stresses/loads must traverse through existing foundation points in the existing structure.

On 8/17/2018 at 5:25 PM, TexasGeneral said:

Hopefully they don’t put a giant purple neon “W” at the top of the tower. 

Central Market at the base of a residential tower would be a dream development for downtown. 

Okay then how about a giant blue one that changes colors to pink and green?

I don't see what the point of having a W hotel if it can't be known that we have one. Besides, W signage is tasteful and elegant, not gaudy.

Now the Central market below residential in your statement, I agree with.

18 minutes ago, swtsig said:

the design is perfectly fine, i just would have assumed that they would have needed closer to 12 stories to comfortably fit 306 rooms. maybe i'm wrong though. 

$120m construction costs are right on point for an 308-room upscale hotel though.

It's going to be more than 12 stories, is it not? I think it's about 16 stories (on top of the existing structure).

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, mls1202 said:

Sorry, but this has to be the most unintentionally ironic comment on this topic. This hotel is literally built on top of an existing building and does not take up any additional space whatsoever...

@treblelino is probably talking about the Rustic

6 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Update on The Rustic at 1836 Polk in downtown Houston, part of the George R. Brown Convention Center redevelopment in the Convention District:

It's opening in late October or November.

More details on the space:
There’s also a retractable roof, two VIP areas, and an Uber Lounge for ride-hailing users.

https://www.papercitymag.com/restaurants/houston-21-best-new-restaurants-most-anticipated-openings-end-2018/

Do we have any construction pics of this? It sounds.... interesting.

• 1 month later...

Jacobs Picked to Design-Engineer Convention Center

https://www.virtualbx.com/industry-news/houston-jacobs-picked-to-design-engineer-convention-center/

Houston (Harris County)  Houston First Corporation selected Dallas-based Jacobs Engineering Group Inc. as the architect/engineer for planned improvements to the George R. Brown Convention Center.

The improvements are intended to take advantage of opportunities being afforded by a Texas Department of Transportation 10-year highway project adjacent to the convention center and surrounding area.

The Brown Convention Center hosts more than 400 events and some 600,000 visitors annually. Its eastern portion backs up to the elevated freeway, and the vision is to connect both sides of downtown Houston via a potential deck park.

Jacobs will assist with modifications while ensuring that the convention center remains fully operational during construction.

Brad Simmons, a Jacobs vice president and global director of built environment, said in a statement released Wednesday, “We have an opportunity to be part of a project that will embrace a new gateway to East Downtown and make the convention center and its connections to this newly created space unique and versatile, while maintaining operational functionality.

“Our efforts will focus on helping Houston First continue delivering a positive experience for the community that results in repeat visits in both the business and leisure markets – both during construction of the North Houston Highway Improvement Project and for years to come.”

The Jacobs team includes convention and exhibition facility design firm Populous, and OJB Landscape Architecture. They will plan, design and deliver visionary and technical solutions for the convention center, among the nation’s 10 largest convention centers. Houston ranks as one of the top 25 cities for convention, conference and seminar travelers.

Services will focus on maximizing the facility’s operational efficiencies, maintaining continuous business operations and coordinating efforts with the state transportation engineers, the City of Houston and others involved in the North Houston Highway Improvement Project.

“Houston First is very excited about this once in a lifetime opportunity to improve the connection and accessibility between Downtown and Eado. Joining these two areas will be a game changer, providing a more enriching experience not only for visitors to the George R. Brown Convention Center in the heart of Avenida Houston, but for all of Houston,” said Houston First President/CEO Brenda Bazan.

“We look forward to partnering with the Jacobs team and have every confidence in their expertise to make certain the GRB is able to continue attracting and delivering superior services to its clients during the transformation of an elevated freeway into a multi-use green space for everyone to enjoy,” Bazan said.

• Like 1