George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

32 minutes ago, mattyt36 said:

I don’t have a strong opinion one way or th other. I personally prefer it, though, to the Dallas and Austin examples (or at least don’t think it’s any worse) as I think they look cheap or equally uninspired. You can’t get any more boxy than Austin, no matter how much taller it may be.

What recent hotel developments in non-tourist hotspots do you like?

I actually like the one in Austin. I also like they’re SF location too. I also really liked the renderings of the one planned for the galleria.

even something like the Omni in Dallas would be preferable to this.

I don’t understand the preference, but to rah his own. It just seems like yet another dinky addition to an otherwise average downtown. So I guess it kinda makes sense

15 minutes ago, Vy65 said:

I actually like the one in Austin. I also like they’re SF location too. I also really liked the renderings of the one planned for the galleria.

I don’t understand the preference, but to rah his own. It just seems like yet another dinky addition to an otherwise average downtown. So I guess it kinda makes sense

Hmmm both strike me as rather staid but OK.

For the record I’m sure those are conceptual drawings anyway. Nothing would be designed until they won the right to build. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Vy65 said:

I understand the preference. I also understand the difference between "they're" and "their". But, nothing you've posted today makes any sense.

Edited by Reporter

1 hour ago, Vy65 said:

Its not about accepting mediocrity, but we live in the real world so we should accept mediocrity.

got it

57 minutes ago, Reporter said:

I understand the preference. I also understand the difference between "they're" and "their". But, nothing you've posted today makes any sense.

Apparently this person also lacks comprehension skills and honestly. To quote and then to go further to miss represent what a person actually said in writing. Best we move on and discuss the actual hotel itself. This interaction will only result in mediocre attempts at zingers. Seems more this persons forte.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Luminare said:

I like this guy haha. Can we get more of you please?

I agree. I'm hearing no actual critiques thus far. Just blah blah blah I don't like it. Gotta have a better argument than that right?

Design aside, putting this on top of the tower adds nothing new at street level, that’s a critique I mentioned .  I like the new experiences new buildings provide, and by building on an empty lot I feel like we would get that experience as oppose to throwing it on top of an building that’s already there. 

3 minutes ago, Luminare said:

Apparently this person also lacks comprehension skills and honestly. To quote and then to go further to miss represent what a person actually said in writing. Best we move on and discuss the actual hotel itself. This interaction will only result in mediocre attempts at zingers. Seems more this persons forte.

Agreed. This is stupid.

6 minutes ago, nate4l1f3 said:

Design aside, putting this on top of the tower adds nothing new at street level, that’s a critique I mentioned .  I like the new experiences new buildings provide, and by building on an empty lot I feel like we would get that experience as oppose to throwing it on top of an building that’s already there. 

A valid critique. I actually agree with you, but from a pragmatic stand point I can see why they would position themselves here as well.

More interesting question would be...which lot are you thinking? What new experiences are you looking for? Maybe that lot can be saved for something other than a hotel? Interested what you are pondering about.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Luminare said:

A valid critique. I actually agree with you, but from a pragmatic stand point I can see why they would position themselves here as well.

More interesting question would be...which lot are thinking? What new experiences are you looking for? Maybe that lot can be saved for something other than a hotel? Interested what you are pondering about.

In my dreams I often ponder of Destroying the Embassy hotel and building there, but realistically I think the lot directly behind the Embassy next to One Park Place would be a good fit.  I’m saving my real disappointment for whatever is built behind the Marriott :) 

I’m still in wait and see mode. I can totally change my mind and be wrong. I fall guilty to wanting every building built to be a landmark lol but I appreciate anything that adds to this city.  

• Like 2

@Vy65 is correct. It's a mediocre design. However, W's are really known for their architecture and design inside the hotel not their exterior design. If any thought is put on a W's exterior it's usually a cool rooftop bar. We will have to wait and see how this W compares with other W interiors. If this interior gets shortchanged, then I think that is a more fair criticism. 

I'm more interested in the location and what the location says about Houston. W's operate in the cool and trendy area's of a neighborhood. The investors have objectively concluded that the convention center is the cool part of downtown! Houston does an absolute horrible job marketing itself if this is the best place for a W in Houston. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nate4l1f3 said:

In my dreams I often ponder of Destroying the Embassy hotel and building there, but realistically I think the lot directly behind the Embassy next to One Park Place would be a good fit.  I’m saving my real disappointment for whatever is built behind the Marriott :) 

I’m still in wait and see mode. I can totally change my mind and be wrong. I fall guilty to wanting every building built to be a landmark lol but I appreciate anything that adds to this city.  

Hey dude. I'm ready with a sledgehammer to tear down that abomination. I think we should forever be able to tell others and say, "You see that hotel? Just don't be that. If you can do better than that then go at!" Its a clear example of a chain going below what is possible when its seen that they can do better even in Houston.

Your other thought is something that is reasonable. We all want good looking stuff. We would always prefer good looking stuff. Your follow up to that is what makes it a great statement. The statement being that we had zero to begin with and just the fact that we are getting something period is better than nothing. If this is the best W can do right now then ok, but we expect them to be better going forward. For a start its not bad.

As a person in the profession I would say this. A: Its incredibly hard to design anything, and even harder to design something great. B: In general most architects and designers are not star architects/designers and most are average hard working people doing the best they can. When you go at it from this perspective its a wonder how good looking is even possible. Its amazing it even happens. The question we should ask when we see a design is...do we know if this person or group can do better. If so, then motivate to do better. If not...then cut them some slack they did the best they could do. Hopefully they learn and do better.

4 minutes ago, 102IAHexpress said:

@Vy65 is correct. It's a mediocre design. However, W's are really known for their architecture and design inside the hotel not their exterior design. If any thought is put on a W's exterior it's usually a cool rooftop bar. We will have to wait and see how this W compares with other W interiors. If this interior gets shortchanged, then I think that is a more fair criticism. 

I'm more interested in the location and what the location says about Houston. W's operate in the cool and trendy area's of a neighborhood. The investors have objectively concluded that the convention center is the cool part of downtown! Houston does an absolute horrible job marketing itself if this is the best place for a W in Houston. 

Probably is. You know its interesting because I actually think this rather tame design is more mature and works for a Houston market. W tends to be tacky and it seems they have looked at the context and designed to it. Now if we don't like this look. Maybe its not a problem with W, or a problem at all. Instead we should ask, "Can Houston do more? Should Houston expect more?"

As far as trendy. Lets remember the people that are trying to get them here think that Discovery Green is trendy and you can't fault them for that because they have worked so damn hard to rebuild this area and so they are so hyper focused on this area that its the only area they can see it working.

What is a trendy area you would see them building then? What is a trendy area of Houston for you?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattyt36 said:

Hmmm both strike me as rather staid but OK.

For the record I’m sure those are conceptual drawings anyway. Nothing would be designed until they won the right to build. 

It's obviously a matter of personal preference, but I think that any of those mentioned would add more than the box on top of a box design. 

Agree on these being drawings. We'll have to wait and see.

21 minutes ago, 102IAHexpress said:

This.

Edited by Vy65

58 minutes ago, nate4l1f3 said:

Nate, while putting a hotel on top of this building (always part of the master plan), certainly will not add structure at the street level, it will add a lot to the day/night pedestrian presence, completing the purpose of the building already built. In fact, it will really liven up the gap between grb and mmp.  

Whether or not, this becomes a W Hotel, is really not important to me, although it would add more flash, which is apparently desired. What is important is that the concept is completed. And, an additional 400 rooms(hopefully), connected to the grb is a major accomplishment and should be the priority of Houston First. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Vy65 said:

No trolling. You couldn’t answer a very simple question and instead proceeded to have a conniption fit. But keep on projecting. I don’t really care at this point.

The answer to your question is no. I will not meet you for drinks.

And BTW, you're the one having the daylong pissing contest with at least 3 different people, trying in vein to convince anyone that you are some kind of authority on building design. Sorry, still not buying.

Edited by Reporter

1 hour ago, 102IAHexpress said:

Somehow I doubt you are an authority on 'cool'. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Luminare said:

Hey dude. I'm ready with a sledgehammer to tear down that abomination. I think we should forever be able to tell others and say, "You see that hotel? Just don't be that. If you can do better than that then go at!" Its a clear example of a chain going below what is possible when its seen that they can do better even in Houston.

I of course agree with you on the exterior of that building but it’s the nicest Embassy Suites I’ve ever stayed in ... it’s actually a great hotel.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Is The Rustic going up on the future expansion area for the GRB?  I suppose that's not on the horizon for the foreseeable future?

Yes, it’s directly ly south of the GRB.  Odd location in my view.  No visibility at all.  It’s “boxed out” of the Discovery Green/Avenida Houston traffic zone by the GRB to the north and the parking garage to the west.  Then, it’s cut off from Eado to the east by US 59.  With surface parking to the south, it’s pretty much isolated from everything!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MarathonMan said:

Yes, it’s directly ly south of the GRB.  Odd location in my view.  No visibility at all.  It’s “boxed out” of the Discovery Green/Avenida Houston traffic zone by the GRB to the north and the parking garage to the west.  Then, it’s cut off from Eado to the east by US 59.  With surface parking to the south, it’s pretty much isolated from everything!

But the folks staying at the Holiday Inn Express  will be digging the 2 minute walk to Booze and Bands!

• Like 2

On 4/2/2018 at 10:04 PM, bobruss said:

Johnny Carrabba and Damian Mandola, used to say it didn't matter where you put your restaurant. If the food was great, the atmosphere fun,  good service  and consistency,  people would find it.

China Garden's stuck around over there since before it was the Parking District.

• Like 4