George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, hindesky said:

FdYN4yY.jpg

I love the concept but I'm not sure how appealing it will be to have a live concert abutting a noisy freeway.

It's amazing how much of a difference moving a couple blocks west would make, but I guess HoustonFirst had to go with the plot of land it owned.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rechlin said:

When the freeway is trenched below ground, perhaps even with a cap if the funds can be found, it will be much less intrusive.

Unfortunately by then half of HAIF will have passed away from old age. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

On 5/21/2018 at 9:55 AM, mattyt36 said:

I love the concept but I'm not sure how appealing it will be to have a live concert abutting a noisy freeway.

It's amazing how much of a difference moving a couple blocks west would make, but I guess HoustonFirst had to go with the plot of land it owned.

trees and walls in the right place, you won't even know there's a freeway.

• Like 2

On 5/21/2018 at 9:55 AM, mattyt36 said:

20 minutes ago, samagon said:

trees and walls in the right place, you won't even know there's a freeway.

And their original (and apparently very successful) location in Dallas is also right next to a freeway, so I suspect they've got it figured out.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Houston19514 said:

And their original (and apparently very successful) location in Dallas is also right next to a freeway, so I suspect they've got it figured out.

Albeit a submerged freeway there. Although this will be a submerged freeway in a decade if current plans go through.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A vote on the W hotel will be held today.

"Houston First is expected to vote today on deal that could bring a W hotel to downtown Houston.

The hotel would be built atop the Partnership Tower, Houston First's new 10-story office building next to the George R. Brown Convention Center.

At its board meeting Thursday afternoon, Houston First will consider a preliminary agreement with developer Texas Hospitality Partners to build the hotel.

The city's convention arm solicited proposals in 2014 from developers who could build the hotel, which was in the original plan for Partnership Tower. The structure at 701 Avenida de las Americas was designed to support the hotel."

https://www.chron.com/business/real-estate/article/W-Hotel-deal-proposed-for-downtown-Houston-goes-13159444.php

5 minutes ago, Nole23 said:

"Houston First is expected to vote today on deal that could bring a W hotel to downtown Houston.

The hotel would be built atop the Partnership Tower, Houston First's new 10-story office building next to the George R. Brown Convention Center.

At its board meeting Thursday afternoon, Houston First will consider a preliminary agreement with developer Texas Hospitality Partners to build the hotel.

The city's convention arm solicited proposals in 2014 from developers who could build the hotel, which was in the original plan for Partnership Tower. The structure at 701 Avenida de las Americas was designed to support the hotel."

https://www.chron.com/business/real-estate/article/W-Hotel-deal-proposed-for-downtown-Houston-goes-13159444.php

Anyone attending this meeting?

7 hours ago, Nole23 said:

Awesome!  This part of Downtown has changed so much in the past few years ... starting with Discovery Green.  Love it!

Right. Why would anyone want to build a hotel within walking distance of a convention center, a baseball stadium, a basketball arena, a soccer stadium, a big park that sometimes has national sports related events, a theatre district, a light rail station and millions and millions of square feet of offices in the center of the 4th largest city and 5th largest metro in America? Greenspoint I can see. But overlooking Discovery Green? WTF? 

1 hour ago, Reporter said:

Right. Why would anyone want to build a hotel within walking distance of a convention center, a baseball stadium, a basketball arena, a soccer stadium, a big park that sometimes has national sports related events, a theatre district, a light rail station and millions and millions of square feet of offices in the center of the 4th largest city and 5th largest metro in America? Greenspoint I can see. But overlooking Discovery Green? WTF? 

Also by the time this W is completed the population downtown would have passed the 10,000 mark. The hotel knows this also they're looking at the big picture. That area will one day give the

Uptown Post Oak district a run for it's money.

With the success of Phonecia near Discovery Green in One Park Place I'm certain Scott McClellum of HEB has plans on the table to bring his Central Market or HEB Market concepts to the GRB

Area. With City Hall approving the W Hotel project,that alone will

supercharge retail in the district. He's probably willing to partner with a residential developer who would look to add a retail component too. 

35 minutes ago, Moderators said:

With the success of Phonecia near Discovery Green in One Park Place I'm certain Scott McClellum of HEB has plans on the table to bring his Central Market or HEB Market concepts to the GRB

Area. With City Hall approving the W Hotel project,that alone will

supercharge retail in the district. He's probably willing to partner with a residential developer who would look to add a retail component too. 

Do you think the convention center district would be the first choice over Market Square?