George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

Wow. This is awesome news. Ever since the work to improve the front façade of the GRB was announced, I've wished that the same would be done to the "back side". This is even better than what I hoped for. This should add even more appeal to Houston as a convention destination, with convention planners that have overlooked Htown in the past.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, tigereye said:

Per Sarnoff - an announcement on the empty Bud’s space expected next week. 

But it another space has opened up: McAlister’s closed up shop. 

https://www.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/McAlister-s-Deli-closes-at-Avenida-Houston-13514969.php

That sucks I always doordash McAllister's 😭😭😭

8 hours ago, tigereye said:

Per Sarnoff - an announcement on the empty Bud’s space expected next week. 

But it another space has opened up: McAlister’s closed up shop. 

https://www.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/McAlister-s-Deli-closes-at-Avenida-Houston-13514969.php

Saltgrass (See VII)

https://www.houstonfirst.com/static/media/uploads/attachments/doc038096-b-12.20.pdf

• Like 1

I'm not sure if non-chain restaurants are really attracted to the convention center. It doesn't seem real hip to be at a convention center, so the likely clientele is more family, which translates more to chain restaurants. I also can't help but think that anyone there is going to struggle when there's not a big convention or an event at the park. It's too far from office buildings for casual lunch, although bigger company events might work well there.

This does not apply at all to The Rustic, which is on its own block in its own self-created environment.

Regarding Saltgrass, I am sure that Houston First isn't excited by the concept, but happy to have a tenant, who will probably be viable.  It does seem like we should have a BBQ joint (I realize Bud's didn't make it, but Goode Company might.  McAllister's was a chain but didn't have much curb appeal, IMO, for the high profile location.  But, it was financially accessible.  A more reasonably priced TexMex (compared to Pappasito's) also seems like a MUST on Avenida de las Americas.  Maybe funky taco place could substitute.   In the end, Saltgrass is fine...but not more than that.  Just think Houston First should filter a bit more. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Naviguessor said:

Regarding Saltgrass, I am sure that Houston First isn't excited by the concept, but happy to have a tenant, who will probably be viable.  It does seem like we should have a BBQ joint (I realize Bud's didn't make it, but Goode Company might.  McAllister's was a chain but didn't have much curb appeal, IMO, for the high profile location.  But, it was financially accessible.  A more reasonably priced TexMex (compared to Pappasito's) also seems like a MUST on Avenida de las Americas.  Maybe funky taco place could substitute.   In the end, Saltgrass is fine...but not more than that.  Just think Houston First should filter a bit more. 

Dead on the money, but I think all of us are placing our own perceptions on who the target audience is. More appropriate would be to figure out who is the target audience with these stores (or the target audience HoustonFirst is trying to target). People stuck at a convention for a couple days, and or to busy to get out, but would probably like a quick taste of "Texas" offerings? Then these stores are the perfect fit for easy access to "Texas" offerings. Thats the mainstream for ya.

As for TexMex, the place could seriously use a Torchys.

EDIT: This is of course not to put down the work they have done to the convention center. Fantastic really. Lets just be real here. The convention center and the offers they are trying to put in there scream GENERIC TEXAS. Its a place literally designed to cast the widest net possible! These are the results we should expect, and frankly I'm ok with. Unless we think "Generic Texas" needs a significant refresh.

EDIT2: In otherwords its what a corporation thinks "Texas" is. Which is interesting to think about really from their perspective. They are trying to pitch a vast net based on what a Corporation thinks Texas is.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I’m sure this will be unpopular but I think at least one suburban chain restaurant is exactly what is needed at the GRB for the same reason that in Times Square, Fisherman’s Wharf, the Navy Pier, the West End, the Riverwalk, etc, etc you will find an Applebee’s and an Olive Garden. The price point for Grotto and Pappadeaux is simply too high for the families that frequent Discovery Green on the weekend. There needs to be a familiar national brand targeted for $10/person instead of $20+. 

There are plenty of options for “in-the-know” foodies elsewhere, even in walking distance. The Convention Center restaurants will be successful based on volume.

EDIT: I actually agree with Doc Loomy that Torchy’s for McAllister’s is a perfect solution. 

Edited by mattyt36
  • Like 8

36 minutes ago, mattyt36 said:

There needs to be a familiar national brand targeted for $10/person instead of $20+.

Agreed on the price point, but that's no reason for a national chain. Eatsie Boys blows my mind for $10 - I'm sure there are other good options for the money.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Alec said:

Agreed on the price point, but that's no reason for a national chain. Eatsie Boys blows my mind for $10 - I'm sure there are other good options for the money.

I’m admittedly no expert in the industry. But I don’t think it’s a question of your or my individual preference, as for every one of you and me there will be just as many examples with other preferences.

So if a sizable portion of the market (if not the majority) is people from the suburbs (either visiting Disco Green on the weekend or for some convention), why not give them at least one familiar, affordable, “guaranteed” (yet admittedly ho hum, and more consequentially for this forum, entirely unsexy) option? That really doesn’t exist downtown. 

I also believe for many a $10 price point for table service makes it more of a memorable “event” than counter service, which is what many people are looking for with their families rather than the “star” quality of the food. 

Edited by mattyt36
  • Like 3

I agree with you, Matty, that there needs to be some family friendly/affordable options on this side of downtown and totally agree with Lumi about Torchy's, that is exactly the type of Taco place that would fit perfectly in McAllister's space.  But, I think that the intention of the spaces on the front of the GRB, was to showcase Houston's food scene, similar to the great progress which has been made at IAH, Terminal C & E.  But, until some better retail space options open up in the area, the GRB is almost all that there is.  Unsexy Chains like Saltgrass, which can afford it, will certainly step right in.  I just hope that Applebee's isn't next up. 

• Like 1

Totally agreed that a Torchy's would have done very well. Asian missing in this area as well tbh.

I'm not really seeing too many of the families that are going to Discovery Green venture over to eat at GRB, so any type of low cost option is better. Still hard to eat at Saltgrass for < $10. Torchy's or a fast food option would have given people that as a choice. 

• Like 1

In my experience when at a convention, it is nice to see a familiar name of a restaurant instead of some name that you don't know what it is.  If you're from Chicago, in town for the John Deere convention, and you have an hour for lunch before you have to go back on the floor, knowing that you won't be disappointed is a plus.

• Like 6

Saltgrass isn't the best, but when you're boss is looking at your expense report he'll probably let that slide where Pappas Bros would get you sent to Alaska next February. This strikes me as a more mild example of the "Olive Garden in Times Square" phenomenon.  

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/01/18/east-downtown-gears-up-for-houstons-potential.html

In an effort to improve the city's transit and convention offerings, Houston First selected Dallas-based Jacobs Engineering (NYSE: JEC) in late 2018 as the architect and engineer on planned improvements to the southeast and east side of downtown Houston, including the George R. Brown Convention Center and its surrounding infrastructure. Jacobs will work alongside several partners, including Houston-based The Office of James Burnett, a landscape architecture firm, and Kansas City, Missouri-based Populous, a convention design firm, to modernize the convention center and improve connectivity between it and the area's other amenities, such as BBVA Compass Stadium and Minute Maid Park.

The project could be ongoing for as long as a decade. Financial terms of the deal weren't disclosed.

• Like 6