George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

My concern lies not with the height of this hotel, but the developers themselves. 

I tried to find out more about this fairly new 2016 company that Yashani started and offices on Bellaire Blvd.,  but there is no way to get to a site and the little bit of information sounds very weak. It reminds me a bit of the guys sitting on the Holidaze inn downtown. These are not the guys we want building this hotel.

Yashani and Yari built the Scottsdale W and I'm not impressed.

I have serious fears that they are going to build something similar to the Embassy Suites with stucco siding or the Hampton Homewood suites in downtown.

Mark my word these are not the developers we want building a W hotel in this space. 

We want somebody willing to splurge a little and these guys won't do that.

Keep them in the burbs.

Who built the Austin W.

1 minute ago, mattyt36 said:

Is anyone really all that impressed with the W Austin or W Dallas other than they're taller?  Talk about bland boxes.

Im not saying they’re architectural feats. But compared to this rendering, yeah I’d say they are impressive.

All the obvious caveats apply with the limited information we have, but this design leaves a lot to be desired. Doesn’t even appear to have the condo components both Dallas and Austin have.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vy65 said:

Im not saying they’re architectural feats. But compared to this rendering, yeah I’d say they are impressive.

All the obvious caveats apply with the limited information we have, but this design leaves a lot to be desired. Doesn’t even appear to have the condo components both Dallas and Austin have.

I'd definitely take this one over those, quite honestly.

And, again, if it's only 15 floors, then I don't think there will be a condo component.  But I don't think that this site was ever intended to.  

I'm somewhat baffled--if this hotel were not the W, would people like it more?  

Really don’t understand all the tears over the W’s height. It’s on the eastern edge of downtown so it’ll be seen from the east regardless of how tall it is. Moreover, a taller W at this site will just have more guests staring out of their room to the shitty industrial side of Houston. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Blah Blah Blah. You can't rationalize that a W Hotel won't be a welcomed addition to this city no matter what the building design looks like (to you :rolleyes:)... or whatever it overlooks. Come on, it's all about the highly sought after 2000's tackiness on the inside, really. It's not about whether or not you like glass or stucco or angles or whatever else they stick on or don't stick on the outside of the building. And anyone concerned about 7 floors more or less is just demonstrating their own personal insecurities, not Houston's.

And speaking of the view, one side of the Dallas W overlooks the shitty industrial warehouse district on the west side. But I'm sure the Dallas cheerleaders are happy they have the ugly old goat anyway.

Screen Shot 2018-02-17 at 2.25.36 PM.png

Edited by Reporter
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Reporter said:

Wh

What does your opinion of this being a mediocre-at-best design have to do with the actual design?

Ummm, a lot.

what does it being a welcome addition have to do with the design given?

Edited by Vy65

24 minutes ago, Reporter said:

Blah Blah Blah. You can't rationalize that a W Hotel won't be a welcomed addition to this city no matter what the building design looks like (to you :rolleyes:)... or whatever it overlooks. Come on, it's all about the highly sought after 2000's tackiness on the inside, really. It's not about whether or not you like glass or stucco or angles or whatever else they stick on or don't stick on the outside of the building. And anyone concerned about 7 floors more or less is just demonstrating their own personal insecurities, not Houston's.

And speaking of the view, one side of the Dallas W overlooks the shitty industrial warehouse district on the west side. But I'm sure the Dallas cheerleaders are happy they have the ugly old goat anyway.

Screen Shot 2018-02-17 at 2.25.36 PM.png

I like this guy haha. Can we get more of you please?

I agree. I'm hearing no actual critiques thus far. Just blah blah blah I don't like it. Gotta have a better argument than that right?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vy65 said:

Acknowledge what? I’m not disputing that you or anyone else is entitled to their opinion? What does that have to do with anything. We’re talking about a small glass box put on top of another small glass box.

So thus far your very strong opinion is the design is mediocre-at-best because:

-it’s not tall enough

-it doesn’t have condos

-it’s glass

-and it’s rectangular

6 minutes ago, Vy65 said:

what does it being a welcome addition have to do with the design given?

It's not just about the design. The design is just fine. Nothing spectacular, but it doesn't need to be. It's all about Houston finally getting a W Hotel. They could stick it in the Embassy Suite building for all I care, it still pretty good news. 

Just now, mattyt36 said:

So thus far your very strong opinion is the design is mediocre-at-best because:

-it’s not tall enough

-it doesn’t have condos

-it’s glass

-and it’s rectangular

Sure. 

What in your opinion makes it above average?

• Like 1

Just now, Reporter said:

It's not just about the design. The design is just fine. Nothing spectacular, but it doesn't need to be. It's all about Houston finally getting a W Hotel. They could stick it in the Embassy Suite building for all I care, it still pretty good news. 

Oh ok.

I apologize for expecting something above average. I’ll stick to mediocrity from here on out.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Vy65 said:

Oh ok.

I apologize for expecting something above average. I’ll stick to mediocrity from here on out.

1 minute ago, Vy65 said:

Take a look at the rendering and you’ll have a start

No you don't get to play this game. I don't read minds and nobody else knows what you prefer. If you don't know then its ok, but you need to bring a point of reference or at least make the effort. Its not about accepting mediocrity. Its about knowing the actual world. We live in the real world. Not your hypothetical world that is to your liking. Especially when we don't know what that world is to begin with.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vy65 said:

Sure. 

What in your opinion makes it above average?

I don’t have a strong opinion one way or th other. I personally prefer it, though, to the Dallas and Austin examples (or at least don’t think it’s any worse) as I think they look cheap or equally uninspired. You can’t get any more boxy than Austin, no matter how much taller it may be.

What recent hotel developments in non-tourist hotspots do you like?

33 minutes ago, Luminare said:

No you don't get to play this game. I don't read minds and nobody else knows what you prefer. If you don't know then its ok, but you need to bring a point of reference or at least make the effort. Its not about accepting mediocrity. Its about knowing the actual world. We live in the real world. Not your hypothetical world that is to your liking. Especially when we don't know what that world is to begin with.

Its not about accepting mediocrity, but we live in the real world so we should accept mediocrity.

got it

Edited by Vy65