George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Hmmmmmm so Bud's Barbecue and Kulture aren't open?  Someone all but called me a liar when I said they weren't opening with the others but opening months later than what sites like Chronicle, HBJ and CultureMap were reporting.

What you said (and what someone called you out on) was that "most of the Avenida restaurants would not open until February or March".  That was inaccurate (as someone told you at the time).

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, nate4l1f3 said:

The Rustic? So one mentioned in another thread that it was still on and would start in the coming months if I'm not mistaken. 

Im talking about the one on top of the Houston First building. 

• Like 1

Your talking about the proposed hotel that was to be built on top of the Houston First garage and building.

I don't think they ever made a deal with an operator to build the hotel.

It was a speculative venture with the hopes of luring someone to come in and build and operate.

I don't think they ever closed a deal and then we hd the downturn and things sort of went cold. I'm sure they're still hoping to make a deal.

It will happen eventually.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

First, Pappadeaux's wasn't sure on their timeline and said many times when I stopped by that it wouldn't be. So I didn't make anything up. But obviously they were ready ahead of their scheduled timeline. And second off, you said that all of those places were opening in February and I said they weren't with Bud's and Kulture opening months later. Here we are months after February and both aren't open as I said before. But I'm making things up.Okay........... :rolleyes:

I never said you were making things up.  Just that what you told us was not accurate.  

Now, however, you have started making things up.  I never said all of those places were going to be open in February.  I never thought that, so certainly never would have said it.  All I said was that you were wrong when you said that most of them would not open until Feb or March.  Here we are months later and you are still not able to admit you were wrong.  Get over yourself already.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Did they ever even issue an RFP? I'm not sure you can call it a failure if they didn't.

The did and made an award. It is a quazi ground lease deal with HOT Taxes and block availability - very complicated deal. Will it ever happen - I would say Yes, when is the answer. I can tell you that Marriott getting lured to build what they did by Houston First - then subsequently Houston First wanting to put another hotel together probably didn't go over so well. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BigBlueContractor said:

The did and made an award. It is a quazi ground lease deal with HOT Taxes and block availability - very complicated deal. Will it ever happen - I would say Yes, when is the answer. I can tell you that Marriott getting lured to build what they did by Houston First - then subsequently Houston First wanting to put another hotel together probably didn't go over so well. 

When was the award made and to whom? I can't find anything on HFC's website.

21 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

I never said you were making things up.  Just that what you told us was not accurate.  

Now, however, you have started making things up.  I never said all of those places were going to be open in February.  I never thought that, so certainly never would have said it.  All I said was that you were wrong when you said that most of them would not open until Feb or March.  Here we are months later and you are still not able to admit you were wrong.  Get over yourself already.

Dude, Crockpotandgravel is one of the better contributors on this forum. What you're doing right now, "yeah, remember that thing from 4 months ago? You were wrong!"

just drop it, it's petty elementary school BS.

Can we chalk it up to misunderstanding and move on?

Edited by samagon
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, samagon said:

Dude, Crockpotandgravel is one of the better contributors on this forum. What you're doing right now, "yeah, remember that thing from 4 months ago? You were wrong!"

just drop it, it's petty elementary school BS.

Can we chalk it up to misunderstanding and move on?

FWIW, I agree he is a great contributor to the forum.  That does not put him above being corrected when he (very rarely) makes an inaccurate post.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2017 at 9:29 PM, mattyt36 said:

When was the award made and to whom? I can't find anything on HFC's website.

Over two years ago. Very Odd deal. The developers needed changes to the structure for different support for what they wanted to do. The "quazi PM firm" that was managing the job the office building/garage project that was going on at the time (who was a developer that lost the hotel project) rushed the contractor to make it impossible (or very costly) to make any changes to the structure. I just can't see one more hotel going over there right now or in two years. 

I was out there last night. There was also a live band and huge private party on the pool deck of the Marriott Marquis that me and my friends managed to sneak / talk our way into lol

This part of downtown is so active and lively now.

• Like 6

I went to the ball game yesterday, after that we went to Biggios. We went up to the pool deck to see the whole thing and saw there was a private event that evening. Since we were all still kind of business casual and I had been to plenty of our own business conferences, I tried to convince my co-workers to stay up there and be a part of the party, but they chickened out.

Party on the plaza seems to be a good fit for this area.

I'll definitely be joining the party on the plaza in the future.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 4

https://www.avenidahouston.com/party/

C_-4sPqUwAAuLEG.jpg:large

logo.png

tumblr_nmjtdyGVPU1sjnivto1_500.png

^^^ there is nothing better to me at this time during downtown houston's convention district revitalization, than the PARTY ON THE PLAZA.  i find it simply brilliant!  just take a good look at the people and the outright casual fun that they are exhibiting.  it just does not get any better than this.  well done avenida houston.....

Edited by monarch
  • Like 8

On 5/25/2017 at 0:22 AM, monarch said:

^^^ @cloud713 yes, i know.  i submitted an illustration of it much earlier.....

Ah, I missed that.. was just trying to tie your post into this topic since the image of the mural you linked seemed off topic/is on the Hampton Inn/Homewood Suites building.

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 2