George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

I wonder if the Billionaires Boys Club paid enough for the use of the park to have it reseeded?

any bets?

maybe 2 months from now, with careful attention, and limiting public access in significant sections, Discovery green will have nice thick grass again.  That is until the next free corporate event it holds.  

• Like 3

On 2/11/2017 at 8:44 PM, monarch said:

C4Z7LH0VYAAm4xU.jpg

^^^ such BEAUTIFUL places at AVENIDA HOUSTON.....

AHHH. I LOVE AVENIDAS. Getting a taste of Houston's elite restaurants in walking distance. A true Houston experience. All we need is a Frenchy's and a Timmy Chans on the Avenida and we will be rocking and rolling.

Edited by scarface
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, scarface said:

AHHH. I LOVE AVENIDAS. Getting a taste of Houston's elite restaurants in walking distance. A true Houston experience. All we need is a Frenchy's and a Timmy Chans on the Avenida and we will be rocking and rolling.

imgres-1.jpeg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, scarface said:

Dude You are not serious!!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tierwestah said:

Dude You are not serious!!!

logo%202.jpg

original-timmy-chan.png

^^^ why not?  in fact, i'm praying that @scarface is indeed serious... i know that i am!  IMO, AVENIDA HOUSTON from a restaurant standpoint is designed to reveal/introduce the real/true and authentic flavors of houston, tx, to out of town conventioneers and guest of houston.  AVENIDA HOUSTON should NEVER harbor hospitality/retail/eating establishments that are normally frequented and solely dedicated to the taste of caucasians.  you should probably be highly aware by now that HOUSTON is ranked as the most diverse city in america.  of course, new york has the largest diverse population, but houston harbors the most global ethnicities throughout.

for a number of years, i have had the most wonderful opportunity/privilege to frequent some very wonderful / unique / fine dining establishments throughout this great world of ours. whenever i am working for the DOD throughout afghanistan/iraq, i try to steer away from eating the foods off of the US/NATO bases.  i may decide to dine along with the military inside one of the DFACS located upon the base itself, or depending upon how long i shall be employed upon each base sight, i may order many food items in from the states from the base's IPO.  however, once i arrive to DUBAI where our company hotels usually are located, i can dine anywhere i want.  have you ever had fried chicken in dubai, uae?  i have. some of those little places are quite delicious.  i have also had great seafood in dubai at some of their most magnificent hotels (HOTEL KEMPINSKI, RITZ CARLTON, FOUR SEASONS, etc)  upon some of my few trips to CAPE TOWN, SA, you probably wouldn't believe some of the grilled seafood that i have had there (prawns so large that i could not even eat it all).  not to mention, some of the great foods in BALI, INODNESIA, SINGAPORE, KUALA LUMPUR, MAYLASIA, and oh boy, you wouldn't believe some of the thai food that i've had in PHUKET, THAILAND.

i guess that my whole point here is, whenever i am visiting a city per se, i want to taste and experience the SOUL OF THE CITY... not just a few pretty establishments that are somewhat geared toward one segment of society.  i want the real deal.  FRENCHY'S and TIMMY CHAN'S delivers the soul of houston.  i would like to think that these two highly authentic dining establishments, would indeed make perfect ambassadors to the front door of houston just by being themselves.  i mean, look at it this way, at least they are not mattress stores.....   

Edited by monarch
  • Like 4

^^^ EXACTLY.

And I'm surprised hearing someone who claims to be from 3rd ward talk like that. Almost sounded a little bougie.

So what? Known Hood spots don't deserve to be on this corner? Is it going to cheapen/tarnish the area? Is it Only for the upscale, glitzy establishments?  Well who says they can't make a nice Timmy Chans or a nice Frenchy's?  Avenida Houston is meant to showcase Houston's eateries into a walkable area. Not just those restaurants who's Chefs have gained national spotlight.

Edited by scarface
  • Like 6

Tried the Grotto last night at GRB, it had a good sized crowd for a Monday night and I enjoyed the spaghetti carbonara. Oxchi looked packed as I walked by. Great to see all the places doing good business. The NAPE convention will bring lots of people to all the new restaurants this week. 

• Like 6

offering awesome, authentic Houston food is a great idea.

Unfortunately though, the majority of people who attend conventions want something that reminds them of home when they aren't at home. A lot of times that means getting the familiar cup of coffee from starbucks, rather than getting a latte from the independent coffee place. that means getting a burger from the commercialized Houston owned place that has a menu designed to be attractive to everyone, rather than some original timmy chans. they might even want a quick sandwich that has familiar toppings (ham, or turkey, and lettuce, mayo, etc) rather than fried chicken that is absolutely going to be very greasy.

I love Frenchies, I've probably knocked a few years off my life expectancy by eating there way too frequently, but it's not exactly the kind of food you get at a business convention.

Besides, for authentic Houston, go around the block to Huynh. That's bar none, the best Vietnamese food I've ever had, and I'd absolutely call it authentic Houston.

• Like 3

Nice shout-out to Huynh.  So good! 

Man, when I travel, it is always about finding new places, with delicious dishes to try. It's a big part of what I enjoy about being away from Houston.  Maybe, it is due to Houston's food scene.   I, know that you are right, in many cases, Sam.  But, if Houston is getting a food destination reputation, then concentrating local flavors in the Convention District is a great idea.  If GRB, was peppered the national/safe chains, it would feed people.  Travelers would return home without an impression of any kind.  Unfortunately, not many travelers will find Huynh...unless they are looking for it. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, samagon said:

offering awesome, authentic Houston food is a great idea.

Unfortunately though, the majority of people who attend conventions want something that reminds them of home when they aren't at home. A lot of times that means getting the familiar cup of coffee from starbucks, rather than getting a latte from the independent coffee place. that means getting a burger from the commercialized Houston owned place that has a menu designed to be attractive to everyone, rather than some original timmy chans. they might even want a quick sandwich that has familiar toppings (ham, or turkey, and lettuce, mayo, etc) rather than fried chicken that is absolutely going to be very greasy.

I love Frenchies, I've probably knocked a few years off my life expectancy by eating there way too frequently, but it's not exactly the kind of food you get at a business convention.

Besides, for authentic Houston, go around the block to Huynh. That's bar none, the best Vietnamese food I've ever had, and I'd absolutely call it authentic Houston.

I agree with you to an extent, but I have seen lines at the original Frency's on Scott and the Breakfast Klub when large events (e.g., Superbowl) are in town.  For those out of towners I've taken myself to Frenchy's or to the Breakfast Klub, it's typically b/c they have already heard about the places in the same way we know about Roscoe's in LA or Sylvia's in NYC and want to visit.  Not sure if Frenchy's or Timmy Chans would resonate with the OTC crowd if OTC were to move from Reliant to GRB, but I do think there is a niche group at every convention that seeks out "local" establishments.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Naviguessor said:

Nice shout-out to Huynh.  So good! 

Man, when I travel, it is always about finding new places, with delicious dishes to try. It's a big part of what I enjoy about being away from Houston.  Maybe, it is due to Houston's food scene.   I, know that you are right, in many cases, Sam.  But, if Houston is getting a food destination reputation, then concentrating local flavors in the Convention District is a great idea.  If GRB, was peppered the national/safe chains, it would feed people.  Travelers would return home without an impression of any kind.  Unfortunately, not many travelers will find Huynh...unless they are looking for it. 

I consider pappas to be part of the safe chain, but also distinctly Houston (even though they aren't exactly just Houston only any longer) . I wouldn't exactly qualify them as foodie destinations though, but for the majority of convention goers, pappadeaux and pappasitos will offer a great flavor of Houston in a safer environment. Same with Grotto and Buds.

Hopefully as parking lots continue to dwindle, GFR will start to be a real thing and we'll get some more of these local type places that might otherwise not take a chance on downtown.

I do imagine though, for the people that want to experience what Houston has to offer for top notch food when they're here for a convention, that they'll hop in their rental and drive to a destination that isn't in the convention district.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, scarface said:

^^^ EXACTLY.

And I'm surprised hearing someone who claims to be from 3rd ward talk like that. Almost sounded a little bougie.

So what? Known Hood spots don't deserve to be on this corner? Is it going to cheapen/tarnish the area? Is it Only for the upscale, glitzy establishments?  Well who says they can't make a nice Timmy Chans or a nice Frenchy's?  Avenida Houston is meant to showcase Houston's eateries into a walkable area. Not just those restaurants who's Chefs have gained national spotlight.

Well you can blame that on what we all have been trained to believe from these "urbanist" ideas usually from following these forums on what we are supposed to think good urban development  means. I guess a similar situation would be how disappointed every one was when they put a Forever 21 and a Payless Shoe Source inside the Galleria Mall that time.

I'd like to see a Frenchy's or something go in as much as the next guy. True, my mind was thinking from the viewpoint that a common "hood" spot may not be welcome by those with money right next to a brand new 5 star convention hotel, luxury apartments, and nice luxury dining like The Grove, XOCTL, and Grotto.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 4:01 PM, samagon said:

I consider pappas to be part of the safe chain, but also distinctly Houston (even though they aren't exactly just Houston only any longer) . I wouldn't exactly qualify them as foodie destinations though, but for the majority of convention goers, pappadeaux and pappasitos will offer a great flavor of Houston in a safer environment. Same with Grotto and Buds.

Well stated. If someone is not from Texas and is only familiar with their home state's version of Tex-Mex, Pappasito's by itself will make their weekend trip a palate-altering experience.

(I just ate at a fairly pricey Mexican restaurant in Austin for Valentine's and all I could think walking out was that I wish I could have just spent half as much money at Pappasito's.)

Edited by H-Town Man

28 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

@gene you knew when you posted the Ramen Tatsu-ya post it wasn't related to GRB. If people don't see your post, then they don't see it. Don't force it by posting stuff that's not related to the topic of a thread. You already shared that news in the Montrose thread for Ramen Tatsu-ya. You could have also shared it in the dining forum not in George R Brown Convention remodel forum. Ugh.

thats why i said my friends...here...sorry didnt mean to ruin your day :)

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, cspwal said:

Ramen is a kind of food.  Another term for food is grub.  You remove the 'u' and you get grb.  All caps that's GRB, so it's related.  Also Half Life 3 confirmed

you are awesome! :) 

• Like 2

It makes absolute sense to have these type of eateries in the convention area. Tourist hot spots cater to the stereotypical tourist. Why pay twice as much for an Olive Garden meal in Times Square or waste your time in a Ripley's? I cannot answer that, but people like it, and good for them. If there's going to be a place for that, might as well be Downtown, and might as well be by the GRB.

If someone wants "better" options or where us locals will go, they will turn to the internet and find it. Unless they know someone whom lives here.

But for the love of all that is holy stop chanting for an Observation Tower.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Montrose1100 said:

It makes absolute sense to have these type of eateries in the convention area. Tourist hot spots cater to the stereotypical tourist. Why pay twice as much for an Olive Garden meal in Times Square or waste your time in a Ripley's? I cannot answer that, but people like it, and good for them. If there's going to be a place for that, might as well be Downtown, and might as well be by the GRB.

If someone wants "better" options or where us locals will go, they will turn to the internet and find it. Unless they know someone whom lives here.

What about a restaurant-filled observation tower shaped like the Oilers logo with a driving range all on top of the convention center? (Oh...and the observation tower has a skywalk from a new Ritz-Carlton on the site of a newly-razed Embassy Suites)

Edited by The Pragmatist
  • Like 9

3 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

Why?

I want my dream of a nice observation tower in a architecturally designed rocket to symbolize space city shooting into the air.

Edited by scarface
  • Like 7

9 hours ago, scarface said:

Why?

I want my dream of a nice observation tower in a architecturally designed rocket to symbolize space city shooting into the air.

Because they rarely add to the skyline IMO. I can count on one hand where they do.

Place an observation floor or rooftop on/in a new building, but not a solo TV Tower.