George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

1 hour ago, j_cuevas713 said:

You're annoyed by over-managing? The management was by far above world class, if that's even possible. To go a full week without incident is incredible! Just imagine if the downtown population grows to that level consistently, at least we know the city of Houston can handle it like nothing. And yeah, parks reach capacity, big freaking deal. Not too difficult to understand. It's wasn't a bad thing that park was filled to capacity. 

The part of my post that you quoted is so reasonable and simple a request, one strains to see how it could bother anyone. Just warn people going out that they won't be able to get back in. A simple sign: "No Re-Entry Tonight."

Like I said though, great day overall.

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 9:23 PM, monarch said:

C33qK7yVYAEhkND.jpg

^^^ a little SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE action at DISCOVERY GREEN for SUPERBOWL LI.  beautiful.....

SB51_emoji.png

I take it all back: The park is clearly beyond capacity! Literally bursting!

Beautiful event, just a little less prudish next time, fire department. Thank you (sincerely) for looking out for us though.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 2

Dude, give it a rest. We get it.. You're upset that you left early and couldn't get back in to see ZZ Top. If you'd ever been to any previous secured events at Discovery Green, you would have known that the park can reach capacity and they start turning people away once it's full.. maybe next time you won't make the poor decision of leaving the park early, and then try to go back in later in the evening on the biggest day of the biggest festival the park has ever hosted.

Or you won't, and will continue to accuse the park/city/fire department of being prude because they wouldn't accommodate your schedule.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, cloud713 said:

Dude, give it a rest. We get it.. You're upset that you left early and couldn't get back in to see ZZ Top. If you'd ever been to any previous secured events at Discovery Green, you would have known that the park can reach capacity and they start turning people away once it's full.. maybe next time you won't make the poor decision of leaving the park early, and then try to go back in later in the evening on the biggest day of the biggest festival the park has ever hosted.

Or you won't, and will continue to accuse the park/city/fire department of being prude because they wouldn't accommodate your schedule.

I gave it a rest after Saturday night, only to come back here and see people blasting my old posts on Monday morning. Sorry I haven't been to more events at DG, I guess living three hours away doesn't help. Like I said before, a simple sign, "No Reentry Tonight," would help prevent the "poor decision" of thinking I could walk away from a park and then walk back to it.

• Like 1

I heard a lot of visitors enjoyed the city. One guy I met from Illinois said he had heard of Houston but didn't know much about it. He was impressed with everything and he thought we had a very nice city and downtown. And a big positive was that he said he wanted to come back to Houston after the SB.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, H-Town Man said:

I gave it a rest after Saturday night, only to come back here and see people blasting my old posts on Monday morning. Sorry I haven't been to more events at DG, I guess living three hours away doesn't help. Like I said before, a simple sign, "No Reentry Tonight," would help prevent the "poor decision" of thinking I could walk away from a park and then walk back to it.

My bad dude, didn't mean to attack you in any way. My apologies. 

• Like 3

I stayed away from DG on Saturday night. I rode around on Sunday for about an hour downtown. I'm glad it's not always that much traffic on a Sunday, I'd never go near the place on my bike. Not really great.

I kind of feel that the party was more spread out this time compared to last. in 2004 everyone was on Main street for the club experience. This time, everyone was everywhere. Plus I have to remember in 2004 there weren't concerts as part of the NFL experience.

• Like 1

im_proud_of_you_sticker-r09b6290a24374d7

SB51_emoji.png&key=dfeeb73aa6d1973788bd1

^^^ just a little SHOUTOUT to all of our HAIF contributors throughout this most momentous SUPERBOWL LI.  all of the many illustrated/social contributions kept this magnificent forum lively with a constant DRUMBEAT that is still being felt even as i type these words.  what a magnificent achievement as per our wonderful and fair city upon the bayou!  what a brilliant show we put on in view of the whole world (100mm people) WOW!  to each and every one of our HAIF patrons, DO NOT EVER THINK THAT YOU DO NOT MATTER UPON THIS FORUM... YOU DO!  i am soooooo proud of you.....

• Like 5

5 hours ago, samagon said:

I kind of feel that the party was more spread out this time compared to last. in 2004 everyone was on Main street for the club experience. This time, everyone was everywhere. Plus I have to remember in 2004 there weren't concerts as part of the NFL experience.

Im sure it was. There is way more going on in downtown now than back in 2004 when it was really just some stuff on Main Street.

• Like 1

This year Superbowl put Houston on the map! Although I can't wait until Houston gets the another Superbowl. By that time we should have metrorail connecting to Hobby and or George Bush International Airport. Downtown will become more dense and urban. So happy to see my hometown shine like it did this wknd. :)

Edited by JoninATX
  • Like 1

How did the new restaurants in the GRB do this past week, did they stay pretty busy?

And when do we think the NFL will ask us to submit another Super Bowl bid? I know LA has 2021, and if Vegas manages to get a team/stadium, they'd probably get 2022. Arizona seems to be in the rotation so maybe them for 2023. Can't forget New Orleans. Houston 2025 anyone?

I feel after this year that Houston should be able to join the list of traditional super bowl cities including SoCal, South Florida, Arizona, and New Orleans

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Ctaf said:

How did the new restaurants in the GRB do this past week, did they stay pretty busy?

And when do we think the NFL will ask us to submit another Super Bowl bid? I know LA has 2021, and if Vegas manages to get a team/stadium, they'd probably get 2022. Arizona seems to be in the rotation so maybe them for 2023. Can't forget New Orleans. Houston 2025 anyone?

I feel after this year that Houston should be able to join the list of traditional super bowl cities including SoCal, South Florida, Arizona, and New Orleans

The bedding for the next available super bowl is not yet available the next 4 are set in Minneapolis,  Atlanta,  Miami,  LA. Houston committeejust announced they will start working ASAP for the next possible super bowl. Might be a long shot since arizona, new Orleans,  are part of the rotation.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ctaf said:

I am hoping for this to happen too and I think it just might. We have such an enormous population that the NFL certainly made bank this week and if I know anything about the NFL they will always follow the money. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Ctaf said:

TBH the restaurants were blocked by everything that was set up.  I'm willing to bet not many people even knew papadeaux's was there.  The fencing was necessary for security I suppose but without it the whole scene/experience would have been taken to another level.  I would have liked the 2 entry/exits on avenida to have been pushed back away from the pedestrian area.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nate4l1f3 said:

TBH the restaurants were blocked by everything that was set up.  I'm willing to bet not many people even knew papadeaux's was there.  The fencing was necessary for security I suppose but without it the whole scene/experience would have been taken to another level.  I would have liked the 2 entry/exits on avenida to have been pushed back away from the pedestrian area.

I hear ya.  The problem with pushing the entrances back is that both hotels would then have been "inside" security and that would have been challenging for guests and staff.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ctaf said:

Didn't get close enough to GRB to say, but Bayou and Bottle (in the Four Seasons) was doing very brisk business (at $8 for draft beer and $16 for cocktails). Reservations at Brasserie du Parc could be had pretty easily. It was almost-but-not-completely full on Saturday night, but since it's around the back of OPP, and you couldn't get there without going past security, I don't think they got many walk-ins.

Restaurants and bars along Main St were doing good business in the early evening, and probably picked up as the night wore on. We snagged the last two seats at Tongue-Cut Sparrow around 5:30, and they had a wait list from then on (which is not bad for a bar with no signage that had been open less than a week).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gene said:

Friday and Saturday all the restaurants were packed when i was there early evening...even that kooky Bud's BBQ Popup inside their future space in Avenida Houston 

Buds BBQ "pop up"? So they haven't finished the actual restaurant? I tried to go there for lunch last Monday but apparently none of the places had opened yet since it was before the LIVE event had started for the day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cloud713 said:

Buds BBQ "pop up"? So they haven't finished the actual restaurant? I tried to go there for lunch last Monday but apparently none of the places had opened yet since it was before the LIVE event had started for the day.

correct! they had a long table with warmers on them with bbq and sides and then temporary stand up tables for guests and a makeshift dj table etc...honestly it was kinda weird so i decided not to eat there haha! but good for them trying to serve while still under construction (or at least not being officially opened...) they even had a huge sign on the door saying something like: Sneak Preview of Bud's BBQ - Opening soon! 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, nate4l1f3 said:

A friend of mine just text me and said that the kulture sign was removed and replaced with a chick-fil-a.  Can anyone confirm this with a picture??

What?? I'll drive by there in a couple hours and check

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nate4l1f3 said:

A friend of mine just text me and said that the kulture sign was removed and replaced with a chick-fil-a.  Can anyone confirm this with a picture??

Chick-Fil-A had a pop-up in that space for the week of Super Bowl. It is not permanent. 

• Like 4