George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

On 2/17/2017 at 3:24 AM, Montrose1100 said:

nt

It makes absolute sense to have these type of eateries in the convention area. Tourist hot spots cater to the stereotypical tourist. Why pay twice as much for an Olive Garden meal in Times Square or waste your time in a Ripley's? I cannot answer that, but people like it, and good for them. If there's going to be a place for that, might as well be Downtown, and might as well be by the GRB.

If someone wants "better" options or where us locals will go, they will turn to the internet and find it. Unless they know someone whom lives here.

But for the love of all that is holy stop chanting for an Observation Tower.

I totally agree with this. Area's like the Convention center are for the tourists and so will have more chain restaurants. Thats pretty typical even for most cities.

For example in Berlin, If you go to Berlin Mitte (the center of the city) you will see more chain restaurants and touristy places offering "authentic german food" and its expensive because its for tourists, but if you really want to eat what the locals eat then you go to those neighborhoods that are for locals and have local foods...and of course the prices will be cheaper.

In Houston's case all you have to do is take a trip down to midtown, montrose, and washington ave or The Heights to eat more local stuff.

• Like 1

My thing is; While the new restaurants are cool and all, what ever happened to the supposed retail district they were talking about a few years back. Are those plans DOA now?

Edited by greystone08(returns)
  • Like 3

No, they just finished renovating Dallas street from Louisiana to the Toyota center with lighting, sidewalk widening, landscaping, and they are working on retail expansion in these blocks. Just give it a little more time. Its been fifty five years since we had serious retail downtown on Main.

I think we can wait another year or two.  Its kind of the chicken or the  egg situation. First people need to be living downtown and then stores will se a larger market. If they were thinking they would realize that there is a huge market downtown with 150,000 people that could get some shopping done at lunch or breaks. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, greystone08(returns) said:

My thing is; While the new restaurants are cool and all, what ever happened to the supposed retail district they were talking about a few years back. Are those plans DOA now?

WOW!!! Greystone08! :o:D

I haven't seen you on here in a loonng time. It's been like a decade!!!  Can I say "Welcome back"?

• Like 2

On 2/19/2017 at 2:06 AM, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

I saw this little gem in the touristy area of Berlin. We tried what they called a margarita (it wasn't.. lol), but weren't about to try the food... lol

32165443273_5fe86771a5_c.jpg

Haha Thats awesome. Berlin does have some great burrito places though. Tex-Mex I'm immediately suspect! The one thing I think would make this better is if they replaced the "Giant" size steak with "Texas" sized steak.

• Like 2

On 2/18/2017 at 7:06 PM, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

I saw this little gem in the touristy area of Berlin. We tried what they called a margarita (it wasn't.. lol), but weren't about to try the food... lol

oh man, that's the best thing to do! try their interpretations of our food!

There is an Italian Pizza place in Rothenburg right near the center of town. They have an "Amercan Pizza" it has corn, hamburger meat, bbq sauce and salami slices. Actually quite tasty!

• Like 2

I have ridden my bike through a few times since SB....there are always people around - Marriott was busy...Xochi's patio was full, there were a handful of people in the Grotto patio...couldn't tell what was going on inside any of the restaurants.  Disco Green wasn't too busy, but everything is currently shut down - the fountains were being repaired, the ice skating rink is being converted to roller skating and of course most of the grass areas are off limits.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, htownproud said:

Has anyone been down in this area or gone to any of the restaurants since the Super Bowl?  I haven't, but I'm concerned it's a ghost town and these places aren't going to last . . . .

I live 2 blocks north and ate at Grotto last week and it was slammed pack. Downtown in general has a lot more foot traffic these days and its really promising especially once all of the apartments are finishing up this year and more events and conventions come to town. I remember downtown dying a bit after the 2004 Superbowl but I feel we have way more momentum this time around. I hope I'm right.

• Like 9

7 hours ago, htownproud said:

Has anyone been down in this area or gone to any of the restaurants since the Super Bowl?  I haven't, but I'm concerned it's a ghost town and these places aren't going to last . . . .

Biggios, the few times I walked by did not seem crowded.  There were people in there but it wasn't "crowded."  That new place, "Brasserie du Parc" seems a little thin but twice I have seen a "good" crowd.  I think that they could use better signage.  Xochi seems to be doing well.  The others I can't  comment on.

22 hours ago, htownproud said:

Hence why I asked a question.  Go grab some coffee or something . . . 

you asked if anyone had been down there but commented that you thought it would be a ghost town and these places wouldn't last... hence why I told you to chill w the negativity. 

• Like 4

On 2/24/2017 at 5:04 PM, HoustonMidtown said:

I have ridden my bike through a few times since SB....there are always people around - Marriott was busy...Xochi's patio was full, there were a handful of people in the Grotto patio...couldn't tell what was going on inside any of the restaurants.  Disco Green wasn't too busy, but everything is currently shut down - the fountains were being repaired, the ice skating rink is being converted to roller skating and of course most of the grass areas are off limits.

Not surprised by these things. This is a perfect time to get the Green ready for Spring and Summer activities. From pictures and talk on here it sounds like the Green got worked to hell this Fall and Winter (which is great, but will mean the Green needs a breather at various times).

I'm so glad to hear about all the positive things going on downtown!

• Like 3

On 2/24/2017 at 5:17 PM, UtterlyUrban said:

Biggios, the few times I walked by did not seem crowded.  There were people in there but it wasn't "crowded."  That new place, "Brasserie du Parc" seems a little thin but twice I have seen a "good" crowd.  I think that they could use better signage.  Xochi seems to be doing well.  The others I can't  comment on.

Husband and I ate at Grotto Friday night.  Grotto was full, Xochi was full and Biggio's, while not full, had a good crowd. Brasserie du Parc had a nice crowd as well. Mkt Bar is a regular go-to for us and typically has a good crowd. 

• Like 8