George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

https://houston.eater.com/2018/1/19/16910320/kulture-downtown-houston-soft-opening

Kulture is still gearing up for its grand opening at the end of the month — but the downtown Houston restaurant’s doors are open, serving a soft-opening menu featuring its traditional Southern fare. The downtown eatery is from The Breakfast Klub’s Marcus Davis.

The much-anticipated restaurant is open from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Wednesday and 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Thursdays and Fridays at 701 Avenida De Las Americas, situated in the bottom floor of Partnership Tower.

The bar is also open, and so far, cocktails like the Mahogany 75 and the $6 happy hour Gin and Juice are proving to be popular. Meanwhile on the food side, the meatloaf meatballs, mac and cheese with a panko crust and the “calas and collards” rice fritters with collard green dip are proving to be hits.
  • Like 1

I’m not to sure how I feel about this though. Obviously I like the idea of it being DT, but I prefer a boutique hotel on top of the tower instead. A couple reasons...I’m not sure if height will be restricted if you’re building on top of the tower? I believe I read that they can only go so high at this location.  Also, I would love the W to be in its on site and fill in one of those parking lots. I’m not sure the street presence would be significant if you built on top of the tower and that would be my main concern. 

• Like 1

On a related note...Hubby and I had lunch at Kulture today and were remarking that we hadn't noticed the Avenida De Las Americas actually connects Toyota Center with Minute Maid Park (although it's hard to tell).  I believe this hotel will help create more to connect the Convention District, MMP, Discovery Green and Toyota Center.

• Like 1

This surprises me.

”5 star” hotels are “typically” not “convention hotels” ( yes, a lot of quotes).....

convention hotels attract the typical mid-level manager/worker ...... not the luxury expense budget crowd.  And, this hotel is “far” from many of the office towers on the other side of town.  Very curious ........

1 hour ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

No lol

exactly what a bot would say!

:P

this is huge news though, picking downtown instead of uptown? certainly 15 years ago, you would hope that a sentence like that would one day be uttered, but to actually see someone say they picked downtown over uptown? huge.

• Like 3

Hold on.  This is NOT W Hotels/Marriott selecting DT over UT.  This is Houston First attempting to get a W Franchise license to build/operate a hotel under the W Flag...like they have done with the Hilton Americas and Marriott Marquis.   Marriott Corp will have to approve it...and they may concurrently choose to build a Corporate property elsewhere in the City.  Or, another franchisee may also try to open a W elsewhere in the city, if permitted in Houston First/Marriott Franchise Agreement.    

3 hours ago, Naviguessor said:

Hold on.  This is NOT W Hotels/Marriott selecting DT over UT.  This is Houston First attempting to get a W Franchise license to build/operate a hotel under the W Flag...like they have done with the Hilton Americas and Marriott Marquis.   Marriott Corp will have to approve it...and they may concurrently choose to build a Corporate property elsewhere in the City.  Or, another franchisee may also try to open a W elsewhere in the city, if permitted in Houston First/Marriott Franchise Agreement.    

While you are certainly correct that this is not W Hotels/Marriott selecting DT (W Hotels/Marriott are not very often in the business of selecting particular sites; they just approve/disapprove sites proposed by licensees), I don't think we have any reason to think it is "nothing more than Houston First trying to get a W franchise" (and the information we have suggests that is not accurate... it appears that Texas Hospitality Partners would be the franchisee/licensee and perhaps owner of the hotel).  I don't think we have any reason to think Houston First is seeking to be the franchisee or operator of the W Hotel.    Further, Houston First does not own either the hotel or the franchise for the Marriott Marquis.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, samagon said:

exactly what a bot would say!

:P

this is huge news though, picking downtown instead of uptown? certainly 15 years ago, you would hope that a sentence like that would one day be uttered, but to actually see someone say they picked downtown over uptown? huge.

I personally would prefer this in Uptown.  Huge news indeed!

Edited by Twitter1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Houston19514 said:

While you are certainly correct that this is not W Hotels/Marriott selecting DT (W Hotels/Marriott are not very often in the business of selecting particular sites; they just approve/disapprove sites proposed by licensees), I don't think we have any reason to think it is nothing more than Houston First trying to get a W franchise (and the information we have suggests that is not accurate... it appears that Texas Hospitality Partners would be the franchisee/licensee and perhaps owner of the hotel).  I don't think we have any reason to think Houston First is seeking to be the franchisee or operator of the W Hotel.    Further, Houston First does not own either the hotel or the franchise for the Marriott Marquis.

It's not even that. Doesn't appear to be Houston First trying to get the W franchise flag. Rather, it looks like some attorney's and other business gave a pitch for their client, Horizon Group/Horizon International Group, to build a W that would be managed by Houston First. The Horizon International Group's website, or lack thereof, is less than inspiring. But who knows. 

1 hour ago, Vy65 said:

It's not even that. Doesn't appear to be Houston First trying to get the W franchise flag. Rather, it looks like some attorney's and other business gave a pitch for their client, Horizon Group/Horizon International Group, to build a W that would be managed by Houston First. The Horizon International Group's website, or lack thereof, is less than inspiring. But who knows. 

Agreed, Houston First is not trying to get a W franchise.  It's the development group that will do that.  But I also don't see anything that indicates that Houston First would manage the hotel.  It is probably something more along the lines of the Marriott Marquis deal.  Houston First makes a deal with the hotel developer whereby Houston First "provides" the land/site and the development company builds and operates a hotel.

2 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

400 rooms, W Hotel rep in attendance.

I’d guess with the smaller footprint may even be taller than the Marquis.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/amp/Marriott-s-W-Hotel-may-be-coming-to-downtown-12614853.php

I’m corn-fused.

the beginning of the article mentions the hotel on top of the garage portion, but then mentions it going on top of the building itself.

Edited by Montrose1100

23 minutes ago, Montrose1100 said:

I’m corn-fused.

the beginning of the article mentions the hotel on top of the garage portion, but then mentions it going on top of the building itself.

Maybe both true?

”The entire structure will have a foundation that will later support a boutique hotel on top.”

https://www.downtownhouston.org/development/project/ghp-building-grbcc-north-garage/

• Like 1