George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

4 hours ago, cloud713 said:

Ah, I missed that.. was just trying to tie your post into this topic since the image of the mural you linked seemed off topic/is on the Hampton Inn/Homewood Suites building.

^^^ AVENIDA HOUSTON along with it's many areas of art, is considered a very integral part of the DOWNTOWN CONVENTION DISTRICT.  HAMPTON INN/HOMEWOOD SUITES resides within the DOWNTOWN CONVENTION DISTRICT.  many of GONZO'S exemplary art exhibits often reside within the AVENIDA HOUSTON/DOWNTOWN CONVENTION DISTRICT.  therefore, not "off-topic" and very easily comprehensible as per our many HAIF patrons.....   

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, monarch said:

^^^ AVENIDA HOUSTON along with it's many areas of art, is considered a very integral part of the DOWNTOWN CONVENTION DISTRICT.  HAMPTON INN/HOMEWOOD SUITES resides within the DOWNTOWN CONVENTION DISTRICT.  many of GONZO'S exemplary art exhibits often reside within the AVENIDA HOUSTON/DOWNTOWN CONVENTION DISTRICT.  therefore, not "off-topic" and very easily comprehensible as per our many HAIF patrons.....   

Well, technically this thread is only for the Avenida Houston promenade, the convention center itself, and the GHP Building next door. Hampton Inn/Homewood Suites has its own thread on this forum, hence why it would be considered "off topic".. but im not trying to nit pick, was just trying to help you out. The discussion does often get side tracked into the other developments in the area though, since as you say, they are part of the overall Convention District.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2017 at 0:32 PM, cloud713 said:

Well, technically this thread is only for the Avenida Houston promenade, the convention center itself, and the GHP Building next door. Hampton Inn/Homewood Suites has its own thread on this forum, hence why it would be considered "off topic".. but im not trying to nit pick, was just trying to help you out. The discussion does often get side tracked into the other developments in the area though, since as you say, they are part of the overall Convention District.

This is the 'going up' section, I think, outside of one restaurant in the office building, all the construction is done and there's nothing else going up, if you want to get real nit picky, the argument could be made that everything posted in here from the superbowl onward should be moved to a thread in the downtown sub-forum.

It's an online message board though, not a dictatorship, so maybe it's okay :D

In other news, outside of the first few weeks, has anyone seen the fountain actually moving? I've only ever seen it lit and fountaining, but not moving. Is it broken already, or do they just not have it on except for special occasions?

Edited by samagon
  • Like 4

I think they shut it down if there's wind or rain or something - I've seen it on as much as I've seen it off.  There is an emergency stop button, and I suspect that it might be pressed a lot more than just for emergencies

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Talked with the main contractor today of the Kulture restaurant, he said their part will be done in a couple weeks then the kitchen crew and the new employees will take over with an expected opening in late August or early September opening. 

GVdqtU3.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I'm excited about all the transformations that's happening around downtown, with The Rustic breaking ground in a few wks, it's really going to livin up that part near the Convention Center.

http://m.chron.com/neighborhood/bellaire/business/article/Avenida-Houston-to-add-new-restaurant-art-11297609.php

Edited by JoninATX
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, JoninATX said:

I'm excited about all the transformations that's happening around downtown, with The Rustic breaking ground in a few wks, it's really going to livin up that part near the Convention Center.

http://m.chron.com/neighborhood/bellaire/business/article/Avenida-Houston-to-add-new-restaurant-art-11297609.php

Color me a bit cynical about this project being successful in Houston. I love all of Texas' cities, but each is so unique...like very different members of the same family...fwiw my daughter just landed her first job in Dallas and lives in Uptown, and the vibe couldn't be more "opposite" Houston. While The Rustic has done well in Uptown Dallas, I'm not so sure it's larger than life, everything's bigger in Texas, honkey tonk vibe will do well in Houston's more laid back, cosmopolitan atmosphere. Not wanting it to fail by any means, but just not sure.

Edited by quietstorm
  • Like 1

On 7/28/2017 at 5:35 PM, quietstorm said:

Color me a bit cynical about this project being successful in Houston. I love all of Texas' cities, but each is so unique...like very different members of the same family...fwiw my daughter just landed her first job in Dallas and lives in Uptown, and the vibe couldn't be more "opposite" Houston. While The Rustic has done well in Uptown Dallas, I'm not so sure it's larger than life, everything's bigger in Texas, honkey tonk vibe will do well in Houston's more laid back, cosmopolitan atmosphere. Not wanting it to fail by any means, but just not sure.

I agree with this to the point that there currently isn't a centrally located venue with a honky tonk vibe that routinely has Texas Country artists.  I'm sure this place will do just fine.

On 7/28/2017 at 5:35 PM, quietstorm said:

I'm sure it will survive. This will give tourist who's visiting Houston a true taste of Texas. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JoninATX said:

I'm sure it will survive. This will give tourist who's visiting Houston a true taste of Texas. 

Or a caricature of Texas.  I have never been to this place.  But from the look of it it strikes me as a "urban, up-market, honky tonk". I may be wrong be that's what I see in the renderings.  I am sure it will be a fun place, don't get me wrong.  But if this place is what I think it is, is that really a "true taste of" what Texas is? 

• Like 3

On 6/22/2017 at 7:50 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Updated renderings of The Rustic opening at 1836 Polk St

c4EKPgw.jpg

D9pFfwn.jpg

9VQ3fM3.jpg

9ul8TN7.jpg

9zi9tfy.jpg

Old posts about The Rustic here.

I thought the Rustic was going to be on Richmond Ave in Galleria area.  I saw it yesterday.

Edited by htownbro

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...