George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

From the pic above it looks like Brasserie Du Parc at One Park Place is almost ready as well. The CNN article featuring it says it will be open in time for the Super Bowl. Everything is coming together!

Edited by Nole23
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, corbs315 said:

It's an innovative use of pumpjacks, celebrating Houston's oil legacy!

Ahh.. I didn't make the connection with the movement of oil derricks.. I like that.

15 hours ago, Nole23 said:

From the pic above it looks like Brasserie Du Parc at One Park Place is almost ready as well. The CNN article featuring it says it will be open in time for the Super Bowl. Everything is coming together!

Heres another angle into the restaurant from Monday. I overheard one of the workers mention the signage as I walked past. I like how the glass walls are able to be opened up.

DSC02251
1 hour ago, scarface said:

Does this area remind any of you a little of Victory Plza /Park in Dallas?

Uhh.. are we thinking of the same Victory Park?

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 6

Just now, ArtNsf said:

Anyone else see this today (attached image from construction cam) ?  Wonder if they are either just covering up this old structure or covering it temporarily to do some pest control or other ??  Strange -

George_R_Brown_Avenida__2-20170125-153154.jpg

Oh yeah and I keep forgetting to ask what might be under that other white cover to the upper left of this building - sort of appears to be like an old train engine.  It's been covered up for many months now during construction ?

8 minutes ago, Triton said:

What is this event called at Discovery Green that will be the week leading up to the Superbowl? It's the NFL Experience, right?

https://www.nfl.com/super-bowl/event-info/details/nfl-experience-driven-by-genesis/c77eb0dc-fc71-48d7-b8d7-faab7b9b3e36

I think NFL Experience is in the GRB.  I think the event in Discovery Green is Super Bowl Live.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Triton said:

What is this event called at Discovery Green that will be the week leading up to the Superbowl? It's the NFL Experience, right?

https://www.nfl.com/super-bowl/event-info/details/nfl-experience-driven-by-genesis/c77eb0dc-fc71-48d7-b8d7-faab7b9b3e36

http://www.housuperbowl.com/super-bowl-live

• Like 3

18 hours ago, ArtNsf said:

Anyone else see this today (attached image from construction cam) ?  Wonder if they are either just covering up this old structure or covering it temporarily to do some pest control or other ??  Strange -

I believe they covered the locomotive to protect it during construction on the GRB garage and for the Nau center that never happened.  I think they covered up the house because they think that means no one will notice it.  It's like putting a blanket over your bed and hoping your mom doesn't notice that you didn't actually put away your clothes but instead just dumped them on the bed and played team fortress 2

• Like 3

When I called yesterday to do some research on the abandoned  Holiday Inn/Heaven on Earth, on St Josephs Parkway downtown

I spoke with an assistant to Councilmen Gallegos. She said that maybe it was on the list of unsightly buildings to be wrapped. 

Where's Christo when we need him. If ever a building needed to be wrapped its the derelict Holiday Inn.

So I guess this must have been what she was talking about.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ArtNsf said:

You saw the movie ET right? 

An alien has been found living in the house and they're taking the necessary precautions to protect us.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Triton said:

Thank you both! I'm excited to go.

I am excited also - my volunteer shifts start Sunday afternoon and go through next Friday - it's going to be crazy around DG !!  I'm going to dinner at Biggios tonight and then will check out the preparations with some friends.  

I've sent tons of pictures to friends and family throughout the US and none of them can believe that the pictures are from Houston - it really is an amazing transformation !!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, samagon said:

You saw the movie ET right? 

An alien has been found living in the house and they're taking the necessary precautions to protect us.

Ha !  Good one.  Thanks everyone for your input.  I want to think it's because of termites or something like that.  I like that old building/house that sits there.  Looks like it should be a museum or historic site, maybe...