George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

Houston to host World Petroleum Congress, 10,000 expected to attend

Delegates of the World Petroleum Council selected Houston to host the 2020 World Petroleum Congress, which is held every three years and is expected to draw more than 10,000 attendees.

Houston last hosted the event in 1987, and the city unsuccessfully bid for the 2014 and 2017 events, which went to Moscow and Istanbul, respectively. This time, Houston was competing against Vancouver for the event, which is expected to create an economic impact of between $60 million and $80 million.

“A key factor in Houston’s win over Vancouver was a promise to dedicate 100 percent of the net profit from the Houston event to establish a Global Legacy Program that will benefit the next generation of energy industry young professionals,” Mayor Sylvester Turner’s office said in a press release. “The funds will be redistributed around the world by the WPC to select Legacy Projects that align with WPC Legacy Committee initiatives, including educating and developing the future of the energy industry.”

The city’s bid committee was composed of more than 20 individuals from a variety of organizations, including committee Chair Galen Cobb, vice president of industry relations at Houston-based Halliburton Co. Mayor Turner served as honorary chair and led the delegation to Bahrain, where the voted was held on Dec. 14. Houston First Corp. steered the bid.

“A lot has happened in the 30 years since the U.S. last hosted the WPC,” Cobb said in Houston First’s press release. “As the energy capital of the world, there is no better city than Houston to showcase the conference, technologies and energy revolution that is taking place right in our backyard.”

Bringing more convention business to the Bayou City has been a major focus for Houston First. The organization already has landed some major events related to science and technology, and it hopes the projects built in preparation for the 2017 Super Bowl will attract bigger conventions in the long term.

Although Houston First is working to diversify Houston’s convention business beyond energy, the World Petroleum Congress is a major win for the city and its largest industry, Mike Waterman, president of the Greater Houston Convention and Visitors Bureau and executive vice president of Houston First, said in a release.

“Not only will the event have a significant economic impact on our city — filling our hotels and restaurants — it will also help create new business opportunities for our energy companies,” Waterman said in the release. “Capitalizing on the strength of Houston’s core industries when going after business is a growing focus for us at Visit Houston.”

• Like 9

On 12/12/2016 at 9:41 PM, phillip_white said:

I was recording the Bun B concert, but if you click and drag the video you can see George R Brown with both LED towers now working.

Never heard a concert where they played the clean version of their own song.  To what thing does this Bun fellow refer?

• Like 1

ZZ Top, Solange and Leon Bridges Headline Super Bowl Festival

Before the Super Bowl, Houstonians and visitors are set to come to Avenida Houston for Super Bowl LIVE and the fan experience events taking place around Discovery Green and the George R. Brown Convention Center. 

The 10-day festival will be headlined by; ZZ Top, Solange, Leon Bridges, The Suffers, and other, soon-to-be-announced artists. The Houston Super Bowl Host Committee stated that “Houston will be the overriding theme throughout Super Bowl LIVE, both in the performers, the attractions and the food throughout the festival.”

ZZ Top is well-known in the Houston and classic rock communities, formed in 1969 in Houston itself. Solange is sister to Beyonce Knowles, both Houston natives. Leon Bridges may not be a Houstonian, but the Texas-native will bring his famous soul music to the Bayou City. The Suffers, formed in Houston, Texas, have been on the rise since they formed in 2011. The high-energy group, along with the others, will compliment Houston's diverse culture through music.

• Like 5

I know i keep saying it but its just so darn true...never in my lifetime would i have thought i would be excited to go see the GRB...blows my mind haha!!! I am just in awe of this building and the area's transformation...wow!!! thank you for all the amazing updates, photos and videos!!! 

• Like 4

RenderingGRBAVENIDA.jpg

^^^ @CREguy13 @HOUCAJUN @Sunstar gentlemen, this is just one of the earlier renderings / concepts of THE WHARF at the GRB.  those "cables" in question shall suspend hanging light fixtures at some point whenever they place them in.  THE WHARF is supposed to be an intimate spot for special social gatherings as you may now attest per this rendering.  once they place in the hanging light fixtures, and the trees start to fully bloom, this should become a very special events area.  not to mention, THE WHARF is almost directly in front of the PAPPADEAUX SEAFOOD KITCHEN (now under construction) therefore, patrons may be able to take their orders outside to eat here.....  

• Like 7